Doorbot - doorbell camera at CEDIA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was at CEDIA today - the coolest thing I found there (other than the massive 20' 4K projectors and 4' high booming speakers) is

www.getdoorbot.com

The are promising an upgrade to an HD camera version (currently just VGA). But they need us to buy some of these to get more funding.

Yeah but I hate the fact that you can't access the camera without someone pressing the button. All the same I bought one anyway.

Comment

This is why HS is so great. I hope in the future there is always such an open and flexible, do it yourself, framework like HS.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Comment

This looks very similar to another product...

http://www.myskybell.com/

I do like the look of the Doorbot better, but I also like how you can use the skybell to see a live video feed at any time (the Doorbot requires somebody to ring the doorbell).

Both don't have APIs available yet. Wonder how difficult it would be to integrate with HS?

Comment

Originally posted by Jingoro View Post

I do like the look of the Doorbot better, but I also like how you can use the skybell to see a live video feed at any time (the Doorbot requires somebody to ring the doorbell).

Both don't have APIs available yet. Wonder how difficult it would be to integrate with HS?
          Whoops, looks like they had recently changed their name (which explains why it didn't come up i search). Skybell used to be called iDoorcam.

http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=162095
          http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=161746

Comment

I ordered a doorbot but it hasn't shipped yet.
            They sent an email saying they needed to close out a few more bugs before shipping but if I really wanted it now they would ship it.
            I can wait. I'm assuming it will be field upgradeable!

Comment

Originally posted by Jingoro View Post

Yes. With the Skybell, looks like they plan on supporting motion detection so you can be notified even if no one presses the doorbell. Or you can just look at the video feed from the camera anytime. What I really like about it is it's small unobtrusive size (and I don't have much room for installation). Open APIs aren't available but they hinted that it's a future possibility. We'll, I decided to preorder a Skybell from Amazon Prime (easy return if it's not what I want). But looks promising!

Comment

Finally! The Skybell I ordered from Amazon last December just shipped! While the iOS App for it looks to be really good, would be nice if there was a way to integrate it with HomeSeer. Hopefully they publicize an API for it in the future.

Comment

Doorbot was rebranded and redesigned. Its now called "Ring".

https://ring.com/

I like the new look better.

Did anybody get the Skybell or Doorbot v1? How did it turn out for you? Any HS integration?

Comment

Anybody got this working with HS?
                    Hector
                    MyTrigger,ACRF2,W800,Zwave
                    AP800,Honeywell Stat

Comment

I was tempted to pick one up when it was the doorbot, but there was enough negative feedback i didn't pull the trigger. Most of if seemed to deal with an app that wasn't ready for prime time, long delays and general unreliability. hopefully that is fixed now in this re-branding will live up to what it could be. will be interested to see if anyone gets this integrated to HS.

Comment

You could DIY one easily enough today.

I've been playing with Grandstream IP HD cameras with built in SIP functions.

The whole camera is about 3" in diameter and ~1.5" tall. The lens board does separate from the main board with a ZIF cable that I have extended. You could fit the whole contraption in a small metal box with a door bell and use POE to power it up.

The DIY pieces would be relating to setting up a PBX which is nothing these days and a little bit of this and that.

Integrating it into Homeseer would involve a PBX plugin (heard mention of this). A doorbell press would put the video / audio on an HSTouch screen and you would be running a non cloud dependant application that would work on a cell phone or tablet.

The attached is an example of and HD IP camera board with POE and SIP. It really is tiny and you could fit it in a sort of flat metal or plastic box with a doorbell on it.

You can buy it for less than $100. The rest except for the doorbell and case is free and only involves a bit of software tweaking this and that.

An HS PBX plugin wouldn't hurt either in expediting the DIY. I've seen 3rd party interests in this but not really HS interests.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Pete; October 14, 2014, 12:18 PM.
                        - Pete

Auto mator
                        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                        HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                        HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

I like your idea Pete. However, for me and probably for most folks, the problem is getting ethernet to that location. I believe doorbot and the like use wifi.

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
                            An HS PBX plugin wouldn't hurt either in expediting the DIY. I've seen 3rd party interests in this but not really HS interests.

I agree completely, i find it ridiculous that the time and effort was put into porting over HSPhone and while they were at it they didn't add sip trunk support naively instead of just the archaic way2call stuff. It should have been built on sip and add a ATA to replace the W2C if you still have POTS lines in your home.

I agree that the landline presence in homes is on the decline, but voip and SIP is going to do nothing but continue to show up.

Whole house HA has to include telephony, in my opinion, and implementation of sip support needs to come sooner than later in HS3.

Comment

Yup; until one or two years ago still had two copper lines here plus multiple VOIP lines.

Old fashioned here I still like having the POTS line.

W2C is still very useful to me these days.
                              - Pete

Auto mator
                              Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                              Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                              HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                              HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Working...
                              X