Can HomeSeer Control The Sonos Connect?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can HomeSeer Control The Sonos Connect?

I am totally new to both Sonos and the HomeSeer Sonos Plug-In. I have a who house audio setup and I want to make the Sonos an audio source for the whole house audio.

What I want to know is how much control can HomeSeer have of the Sonos Connect? I assume it can play, stop and do next track, but can it select content programatically from Pandora, Apple Music, Spotify, etc from the Sonos Connect? In other words, can I make HomeSeer events, play content via the Sonos through the HomeSeer Plugin for Sonos?

Thanks for any help. I wanted this answered before I purchased the Sonos Connect and then the plugin.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Jean-Marie G. Vaneskahian
    jean@vaneskahian.com

Originally posted by jeanv View Post
    I am totally new to both Sonos and the HomeSeer Sonos Plug-In. I have a who house audio setup and I want to make the Sonos an audio source for the whole house audio.

What I want to know is how much control can HomeSeer have of the Sonos Connect? I assume it can play, stop and do next track, but can it select content programatically from Pandora, Apple Music, Spotify, etc from the Sonos Connect? In other words, can I make HomeSeer events, play content via the Sonos through the HomeSeer Plugin for Sonos?

Thanks for any help. I wanted this answered before I purchased the Sonos Connect and then the plugin.
    There is no yes or no answer. Yes, you can start/stop/pause any Sonos player, yes you can select content to play, but not everything. For example, you cannot navigate via the PI say through Apple Music content. However, the PI has a "learning" function, say you play a "cold play radiostation" on Pandora, the PI will "learn" and once you played it, you can actually use it in events to command a player to play "Cold Play Station". All premium content are a bit different, but in most cases, if you can add it to your queue and you can save the queue as a favorite, you can use the PI to play the favorite.

Clear as mud?

Dirk

Comment

Thanks! Actually it does make some sense. As long as I have done it before, then it can be done again through the Sonos Plugin. I have a Logitech SqueezeBox and have the HomeSeer Squeebox Plugin, I am trying to justify / understand what sets the Sonos Connect apart from that as a simple audio source.

I assume I can run the Sonos Plugin on the same Windows 7 PC I am running HomeSeer 3 on?
      jean@vaneskahian.com

Comment

I assume I can run the Sonos Plugin on the same Windows 7 PC I am running HomeSeer 3 on?
        Yes.

Comment

Thanks so much for being responsive and helping me... I am almost going to bite the bullet and buy the $350 Sonos Connect... Can you tell me if you have ever used a SqueezeBox Audio, what sets the Sonos apart as an Audio Source?
          jean@vaneskahian.com

Comment

Thanks so much for being responsive and helping me... I am almost going to bite the bullet and buy the $350 Sonos Connect... Can you tell me if you have ever used a SqueezeBox Audio, what sets the Sonos apart as an Audio Source?
            Hope someone else chimes in, not a Squeezebox user but believe the PI support by PCP is excellent. Sonos claim to fame is that they perfectly synchronize multiroom stereo, make use very easy but can't say it is better than other systems out there. They recently added Alexa to their playerOne and have Alexa support in general which makes controlling it a little easier, no need for a PI, just say, Alexa, play Cold Play Radio in Kitchen and off you go. I like the fact that they have a variety of players to chose from. I have a playbar connected to the tv, some fixed amps in the house and some portables around. Each time we have a party, I can easily play whatever, wherever. Worth the money is a person thing, it is not cheap that's for sure.
            Dirk

Comment

Yes Dirk you are very disponible an sympatik. Thanks for your patience and commitment !
              Matt

Comment

Thanks again! You are very helpful and prompt with replies! I see the point to Sonos when you do not already have Whole House Audio, but in my case, I am just looking at the Sonos Connect as simply being an Audio Source for my existing whole house audio.

I will do a little more research before I pull the trigger, but I understand much better now and I appreciate you educating me.
                jean@vaneskahian.com

Comment

Working...
                X