Compatibility with OmniStat2's ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Compatibility with OmniStat2's ?

Anyone know if there is any level of compatibility with this plug-in and the new OmniStat2's ?

I can't answer your question but took a look at the Omnistat2. Very nice. First $300 thermostat that I have seen that looks like it's worth the money. Do you know how this interfaces with the HVAC and your HA? Is there a serial connection somehow?

Comment

It's primary interface is most likely RS-232 for a controller with the usual 4 or 5 wire connection to your HVAC system. But HAI is also showing that an optional wireless Zigbee and wired Ethernet module will be available in the future...

Comment

I'm not %100 sure (I'll try and found out) but I'm pretty sure the OmniStat2 thermostats use the same RS232 protocol as the Original OmniStat's. So it should work fine with the HAI Thermostat plugin.

Comment

How does the original omnistat connect to the PC's serial port? That's the part that confuses me and I don't see any specific instructions from HAI - they say follow the instructions from the other device you are hooking up to. Any ideas?

Comment

Search is your friend!
            Quick search showed the wiring is described many times in this forum.

For example have a look at :
            http://board.homeseer.com/showpost.p...4&postcount=13

In the box of the Thermostat would have been a single sheet of paper that has the wiring diagram on it (separate from the user and install manuals).

Ross.

Comment

Quick search I suppose if you know what to look for. Sorry, I did a search for Omnistat wiring and Omnistat serial and got a bunch of stuff that didn't make any sense. Didn't know I should look for enabling remote communication on RC-80. Therefore, I must be lazy.

Comment

Yes, the new omniStat connects up the same way as the previous generation HAI tstat do. Couple of diffences though.

Before, HAI had (actually still does have) 5 different tstat based on the type of HVAC system you have. The new OmniStat has "jumper" setting for you to set this.

As stated by an earlier poster, there will be in the future optional modules for other communication types such as Zigbee and ethernet.
                Martin Custer

Comment

No official word from HS on compatibility yet?

Comment

I asked my HAI contact about this, the new OmniStat 2's are compilable with the old protocol. So it should work fine. It does have some additional features in the rs232 protocol, but it's extending the current protocol rather than changing it.
                    I don't use the HAI plugin and don't have an OmniStat2 so I can't tell you %100, but there is no reason why it shouldn't work.

Ross.

Comment

Any thoughts on if the Omnistat2 is worth the extra money. It looks like the big upgrades are asthetics and learning technology. Any other big advantages that would justify the extra $120.

Thanks for the input.

Comment

How to connect to HS - Similar to RC-80?

Originally posted by AutomatedOutlet View Post
                        Yes, the new omniStat connects up the same way as the previous generation HAI tstat do. Couple of diffences though.

Before, HAI had (actually still does have) 5 different tstat based on the type of HVAC system you have. The new OmniStat has "jumper" setting for you to set this.

As stated by an earlier poster, there will be in the future optional modules for other communication types such as Zigbee and ethernet.
                        I just got the RC-2000 from AO to replace my RC-80 that just got fried by lightning (for the 2nd time, whole other story).

The installation manual only talks about connecting to HAI systems in the comm section, not others. Does anyone have any information on how to connect to an existing serial connection that was connected to an RC-80 before? Simply connecting the wire colors at the thermostat as labeled doesn't seem to do it. Guess it's not that simple.

I'm sure I'll upgrade to the ethernet option when it comes out, and finally get rid of the serial-USB adapter that reboots XP 2 times a day, but until then, I'd like to have it connected like my RC-80 was.

Any help appreciated.

Comment

I have the RC-122. There is a installer setup where I had to set option 01 to 00 for 300 baud PC connection. The default was 01 which was for the HAI HA panel. Maybe there's something like that for the Omnistat2.

Comment

System = 100 Baud = 1200

Originally posted by heatvent View Post
                            I have the RC-122. There is a installer setup where I had to set option 01 to 00 for 300 baud PC connection. The default was 01 which was for the HAI HA panel. Maybe there's something like that for the Omnistat2.
                            There is. A nice config screen that has a number for "system" and a number for "baud". The manual says that if you're using a serial connection to use 100 for system and 1200 for the baud rate. That's what I have it set at with no luck. I even tried 2400 baud with no luck.

Comment

Anyone else even have an Omnistat2 hooked up to Homeseer?

I feel like I'm the only person in the country that has an Omnistat2 right now. I'd thought it'd been out for a couple months.

There is absolutely no information out there on how to hook this up to Homeseer. None other than the extremely limited info in the install manual which doesn't talk about wiring at all beyond hooking up to an HAI system.

If anyone gets an Omnistat2 and is attempting to hook up to HS, I'm extremely interested in if you get it to work via serial. I'm forced to be in wait mode until others try to get this configuration working. I can't get mine to work and I had a working RC-80B previously, and am using all the same wiring. Although I believe I'll try to replace the CAT5 cable between the PC and the thermostat since I recently had a lightning hit that caused my RC-80 to flake out.

Comment

Working...
                              X