Question about Security Alarm Systems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about Security Alarm Systems

Hi guys, I was wondering if you can give me some guidance. I just purchased a home that has a DSC PC1832 series alarm system with multiple sensors and keypads. I have quite a # of Insteon devices using an ISY-99iR. I am interested in getting all of this automated. I also have a Homeseer Troller SE-Pro that I just received.

Someone told me that the Elk-M1Gold is the best alarm system to get that works well with automation projects. However before I go ripping out the existing alarm system and pay someone $300-$400 to install + the cost of the Elk-M1Gold, is it necessary? Will the DSC work similarly or shall I make the investment. I have seen the demos of the Elk and it's pretty slick.

Thanks guys!

The DSC is a perfectly capable alarm system. The ELK is typically overkill when using HomeSeer as this panel adds some automation abilities which are duplicated when using HomeSeer. Stick with the DSC and try out the DSC plugins from the HomeSeer updater.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
      The DSC is a perfectly capable alarm system. The ELK is typically overkill when using HomeSeer as this panel adds some automation abilities which are duplicated when using HomeSeer. Stick with the DSC and try out the DSC plugins from the HomeSeer updater.
      Thanks for the quick reply. Do I need to purchase a module from somewhere that will allow this unit to talk to the Homeseer controller? I was reading up and some people are saying that they needed a T100 module or something.

Thanks!

Comment

Yes, you need and IT100 interface.

Comment

Yes, you need and IT100 interface.
          Perfect - good to know. Thank you!

Comment

Just confirming if the IT-100 is the most ideal or the TL-250?

Also, do you know if there is an app for that on an iPhone or iPad - meaning a DSC app and whether this app would work by having the above module? The reason I ask is that it will likely take me some time before I can get HS Touch all working for everything and I want the ability to be able to arm and disarm and check zones via an app.

Thanks again!

Comment

Definitely IT-100 and you can use the HomeSeer web interface on any device while waiting to setup your HSTouch.

Comment

Definitely IT-100 and you can use the HomeSeer web interface on any device while waiting to setup your HSTouch.
                Fantastic, will order this. Thank you!

Comment

For what it is worth I just replaced my DMP XR200 with the ELK M1G, mostly because:
                  A) The DMP XR200 didn't have a network interface, so no remote control over IP via a PC/phone/tablet.
                  C) I wanted to easily integrate events from my alarm system (such as a door opening or motion sensor going off) into Homeseer
                  B) I wanted the flexibility to easily integrate a variety of hard wired and wireless devices into my overall system and ELK has a large # of add-on modules.

For me, the key advantage of the ELK over a traditional alarm is that it provides an easy integration point for a variety of sensors, relays, outputs, etc. For example, I wired in my driveway alarm into the ELK and when that goes off, it passes an event to HomeSeer. You typically can't do something like that with a traditional alarm and if I wanted to do this directly to HomeSeer I would have had to buy a separate GPIO device. Thus the advantage of ELK is that you get a lot of pre-integrated automation capability in addition to the basic alarm, however as the other poster mentioned there is a lot of overlap between the M1 and Homeseer in terms of functions, so you end up paying for some of the same functionality twice.

Thus, if you just want to be able to arm/disarm your system via Homeseer and use events from the DSC system to trigger Homeseer events, then DSC is fine, however if you want the ability to easily integrate a lot of non-alarm related sensors into your system you might want to consider the ELK.

As for Insteon, I have some Insteon and Z-Wave devices and while I could control them via the ELK, I do it via Homeseer because that's where I keep my automation logic so I suppose that's a good example of the ELK being overkill

Comment

Just an FYI, the DSC 1832 has the ability to use any sensor, wired, wireless, pgm, etc for non security purposes. All you need to do is set them as non security devices when you do the panel setup. It makes for lots of input/outputs at a very attractive price point as compared to I/O boards.
                    Marty
                    ------
                    XPpro SP3 /w HS Standard 2.5.0.80, HSTouch Server - 1.0.0.70, HSTouch Client 1.0.0.73 HSTouch Android - 1.0.0.2, HSTouch iPhone - 1.0.0.2
                    Playing with HS3 a bit but it's just play at this point.

Comment

Working...
                    X