ZeeS2 (Mono 3) to ZeeS2V2 (Mono 4) migration experience with z-wave devices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ZeeS2 (Mono 3) to ZeeS2V2 (Mono 4) migration experience with z-wave devices

Hi – This post is to share my experience trying to convert a small HA environment from a ZeeS2 to a ZeeS2V2 build. My environment is as follows:

ZeeS2 (Mono 3 build) Environment:

• HomeSeer Version: HS3 ZEE S2 Edition 3.0.0.297
    • Linux version: Linux HomeTrollerZeeS2 3.18.7-v7+ #755 SMP PREEMPT Thu Feb 12
    • 17:20:48 GMT 2015 armv7l GNU/Linux System Uptime: 4 Days 1 Hour 48 Minutes 52 Seconds
    • Number of Devices: 82
    • Number of Events: 91
    • Available Threads: 399

• Enabled Plug-Ins
    o 3.0.0.68: HSTouch Server
    o 3.0.1.87: Z-Wave

ZeeS2V2 (Mono 4 build) Environment:

• HomeSeer Version: HS3 ZEE S2 Edition 3.0.0.297
    • Linux version: Linux HomeTrollerZeeS2V2 4.1.19-v7+ #858 SMP Tue Mar 15 15:56:00
    • GMT 2016 armv7l GNU/Linux System Uptime: 0 Days 15 Hours 41 Minutes 1 Second
    • Number of Devices: 102
    • Number of Events: 92
    • Available Threads: 394

• Enabled Plug-Ins
    o 3.0.0.68: HSTouch Server
    o 3.0.1.87: Z-Wave

Z-Wave Controller:
    • Z-NET V1 (with WiFi)
    • Z-NET Configuration- Version 1.0.22

I have 19 physical Z-wave devices (a mix of Z-wave standard and z-wave PLUS). I completed a backup of my ZeeS2 (Mono 3 build) and then restored that backup to a fresh ZeeS2V2 (Mono 4 build). Both the ZeeS2 and the ZeeS2V2 builds are on separate Raspberry PI 2. I then connected to my new ZeeS2V2 (mono 4 build) to my Z-NET V1 z-wave controller. Once connected to the Z-NET, I optimized my Z-wave network. The z-wave optimization process resulted in the creation of duplicate Z-wave devices in my ZeeS2V2 (mono 4 build). The duplicate devices appear to be select child elements of all 19 physical z-wave devices. Only physical z-wave devices were duplicated (virtual devices were not duplicated). The z-wave duplicate physical devices tended to be a root device element / child element vs. the entire parent child structure. In certain cases only the duplicate z-wave child element is recognized by ZeeS2V2 build when creating new events. I discovered this when I tried to leverage “Z-Wave action” on a door lock. When I tried to “set a code” or “remove a code” for my Schlage door lock, the ZeeS2V2 (mono 4 build) will only recognize the newly created duplicate child device. It will not recognize my original restored z-wave device.

Based on my experience (and I hope I am very wrong) – it appears that a move / migration from the ZeeS2 (Mono 3 build) to the more modern ZeeS2V2 (mono 4 build) is a **very** significant move. If my experience is consistent with others performing similar migrations, then it appears that this migration could be as significant as a HS2 to HS3 migration (at least for z-wave based networks).

I only make this statement because the duplicate child z-wave devices created from the migration to the mono 4 build may require the deletion and re-addition of those z-wave devices under Mono 4 build. The reason for the deletion is to avoid potential confusion between the duplicate devices that result from a restore of the Mono 3 build to a Mono 4 build. In addition to the deletion and re-creation of the z-wave devices, all event logic must be recreated as well (which has been documented in earlier posts)….

Again – I hope my experience is unique and the scenario above related to the creation of duplicate z-wave devices (that cannot be deleted) is not the case for others. Manually recreating all event logic is going to be a large enough task…

Has anyone else experienced duplicate Z-wave devices when restoring a backup from a ZeeS2 (Mono 3 build) to a ZeeS2V2 (Mono 4 build)?

Thanks, Mike
    Last edited by mstukel; October 22, 2016, 05:36 AM.

My experience is that it is not to recommend to even try going from Mono3, which is the version that Zee S2 is shipped with but is NOT supported by HomeSeer, since the ONLY image available is the Mono4 based - and that Mono4 based version can NOT use the backups from Mono3.

You start on Mono3 - better pray hard that the SD card does not fail, because HomeSeer will NOT help you when that happens.

Comment

Originally posted by larhedse View Post
      My experience is that it is not to recommend to even try going from Mono3, which is the version that Zee S2 is shipped with but is NOT supported by HomeSeer, since the ONLY image available is the Mono4 based - and that Mono4 based version can NOT use the backups from Mono3.

You start on Mono3 - better pray hard that the SD card does not fail, because HomeSeer will NOT help you when that happens.

Comment

Thanks for the write up.
        how do I know which zees2 version I have?

Comment

Originally posted by Amigo View Post
          Thanks for the write up.
          how do I know which zees2 version I have?
          click the red icon with the question mark - in the upper-right of the HS web page.
          HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
          54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
          Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

ok, thanks, here it is.
            what tells me if its mono3 or mono4?

Current Date/Time: 10/25/2016 11:32:53 AM
            HomeSeer Version: HS3 ZEE S2 Edition 3.0.0.280
            Linux version: Linux HomeTrollerZeeS2 3.18.7-v7+ #755 SMP PREEMPT Thu Feb 12 17:20:48 GMT 2015 armv7l GNU/Linux System Uptime: 17099 Days 19 Hours 32 Minutes 0 Seconds
            IP Address: xxx
            Number of Devices: 127
            Number of Events: 9
            Available Threads: 399

Enabled Plug-Ins
            3.0.0.27: EasyTrigger
            3.0.1.83: Z-Wave

Comment

You have mono3.

The way to tell is in the first post - if you have the 1st gen ZeeS2, you have mono3.
              If you have the ZeeS2V2 then you have mono4.

Comment

ok, thanks.
                Why would one want to move to ZEES2V2 platform? What benefits does it offer?

Comment

ok, thanks.
                  Why would one want to move to ZEES2V2 platform? What benefits does it offer?
                  The Zee is a Raspberry Pi
                  The ZeeS2 is a Raspberry Pi2.
                  The ZeeS2V2 is a Raspberry Pi3 which is faster and has built-in wifi.

Someone chime in if I am wrong. I only have an original Zee and a ZeeS2V2 for comparison.

Comment

Thanks for that.
                    There is some talk about SD card wearing on zeeS2, which has got me worried. Although it has been only powered up 3 months or so.
                    so I would want to have a backup SD made.
                    Is there a documented procedure for this?

If I understand larhedse correctly, HST ships zees2(mono3) but the downloads page only has rpi3 image, i don't even see anything labled zees2 there!?!, that seems totally messed up, so how do I create an SD for zees2?

Comment

Thanks for that.
                      There is some talk about SD card wearing on zeeS2, which has got me worried. Although it has been only powered up 3 months or so.

If I understand larhedse correctly, HST ships zees2(mono3) but the downloads page only has rpi3 image, i don't even see anything labled zees2 there!?!, that seems totally messed up, so how do I create an SD for zees2?
                      Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for that.

The easiest thing to do is to gracefully shutdown your ZeeS2, remove the SD card and use Win32DiskImager to make an image of your SD card. That way, if your machine ever dies, you can restore it to a new SD card.

Comment

ok, thanks for the info. system is remote, so I will do that next time I am there.

another comment, unfortunately I am nearing the end of my rope, and honestly just don't have the time or the in depth knowledge that you guys have, to do all this tinkering that pi based hs3 seems to need. Is there a migration path to go from a zee s2 to a windows based mini pc? I assume I can not use any of the backups from the zee, is that correct?

Comment

ok, thanks for the info. system is remote, so I will do that next time I am there.

another comment, unfortunately I am nearing the end of my rope, and honestly just don't have the time or the in depth knowledge that you guys have, to do all this tinkering that pi based hs3 seems to need. Is there a migration path to go from a zee s2 to a windows based mini pc? I assume I can not use any of the backups from the zee, is that correct?
                            I've not gone in that direction (Linux -> Windows) but my understanding is that you cannot due to the way events store serialized data. You could try it and see - you would know quick enough if it works or not

Comment

Thanks.
                              Where in the downloads section do you see this ZeeS2V2 PI image?
                              is it this:
                              http://www.homeseer.com/updates3/hs3pi3boot.zip

Comment

Working...
                              X