Include Non Secure vs Secure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Include Non Secure vs Secure

I am just curious to the difference between these two inclusion modes. From what i read some say there is better battery life including non secure. Is secure something new for z+ modules or has there always been this?

Say your adding magnet door sensors, that you then again use in security. Is there something bad by adding these non secure compared to secure?

And is there any point adding regular less than gen 5 modules secure?

Thanks.
    Certified installer for HomeSeer, Control4, KNX and Eaton/xComfort

I thought it had been in Z-Wave all along and it is not new to ZW+, I am guessing that there is additional data sent in a secure device to validate that it was that specific unit that sent the relevant command. Perhaps each secure module has a unique ID programmed into it that gets given to the controller on inclusion that it later uses to validate any incoming data, more data sent, more transmitter time, more power used which is why I would imagine that there is lower power use without the security. This is what the help file says;

Inclusion of a device utilizing the secure Z-Wave command class, such as a door lock, has further difficulties beyond that of normal inclusion/exclusion. Within seconds of being added to a network, there is a security requirement that the security scheme that the network utilizes be "negotiated" so that the node can be communicated with securely. Under these circumstances, the Z-Troller cannot be used when disconnected from HomeSeer because the Z-Troller is not able to negotiate the security scheme without HomeSeer. In the future (2014), the changes already mentioned along with new technologies from Z-Wave will make this much easier. Until then, it will be necessary to bring the HomeSeer controller and the secure device physically close (within range of direct transmission) to be able to add the secure device to the network. When the Z-Troller is used without being connected to HomeSeer, the node can still be added to the network as the others, but the failure of the security negotiation will leave only a few basic commands possible - the secure device will be essentially useless.
    I personally only use mine as door sensors to detect occupancy rather than actual security, no benefit to me whatsoever to have any security protocol in place.

Comment

This is interesting, and it does make sense. Does this mean that some modules will have more options added securely rather than none?
      Certified installer for HomeSeer, Control4, KNX and Eaton/xComfort

Comment

Originally posted by U5tabil View Post
        This is interesting, and it does make sense. Does this mean that some modules will have more options added securely rather than none?
        That's what it seems to imply but as that quote thinks 2014 is in the future then it may well be out of date - I don't know what EU modules have security in them, my Fibaro motion sensors and Everspring door sensors don't appear to but I imagine some of the locks might and any garage door opener type devices if they are about might.

Comment

Working...
        X