www.homeseer.com    
 

Go Back   HomeSeer Message Board > Ultilities (Plug-ins) > Utilities Discussion > SDJ-Health Plug-in (3P)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old January 8th, 2018, 03:01 PM
cowinger cowinger is offline
Seer Master
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Colorado
Posts: 682
Ecolink Devices Show "Silent"

I have a few Ecolink battery devices that show 'silent'. One day they report and the next day they do not. It repeats this cycle.

Anyone have these and they exhibit this behavior?

Edit: It appears that the PI tries to check the battery at 13 hours and a minute or so after the previous days check. So if it checked the battery yesterday at 4:40 PM it tries to check it again at 5:41 AM the next morning which is 13 hours and some change. I have the battery poll times for each of the sensors at 11 hours and 30 min (ex.) and the next one at 11 hours and 31 min and so on.

Why is it missing the next day poll?

Last edited by cowinger; January 8th, 2018 at 03:46 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old January 9th, 2018, 05:02 AM
SteveMSJ SteveMSJ is online now
Seer Master
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 783
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowinger View Post
I have a few Ecolink battery devices that show 'silent'. One day they report and the next day they do not. It repeats this cycle.

Anyone have these and they exhibit this behavior?

Edit: It appears that the PI tries to check the battery at 13 hours and a minute or so after the previous days check. So if it checked the battery yesterday at 4:40 PM it tries to check it again at 5:41 AM the next morning which is 13 hours and some change. I have the battery poll times for each of the sensors at 11 hours and 30 min (ex.) and the next one at 11 hours and 31 min and so on.

Why is it missing the next day poll?
I presume from you referring to 'Silent' that you have the pi set to monitor these devices using 'Activity Monitoring'. In this mode the pi will check the last change dates of all the child devices at the period you have set in the pi.

I'm not familiar with Ecolink devices but if they are typical Z-Wave non-listening devices then it is far better to let the pi monitor 'WakeUps' in the log. It is then not dependent on the vagaries or overheads of Z-Wave polling. If you have 'Log Poll and Wake-Up messages' checked on the Z-Wave configuration page do you not get WakeUp messages in the log for the nodes of these devices?

Steve
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old January 9th, 2018, 11:08 AM
cowinger cowinger is offline
Seer Master
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Colorado
Posts: 682
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMSJ View Post
I presume from you referring to 'Silent' that you have the pi set to monitor these devices using 'Activity Monitoring'. In this mode the pi will check the last change dates of all the child devices at the period you have set in the pi.
Yes I have all of my battery devices selected.

Quote:
I'm not familiar with Ecolink devices but if they are typical Z-Wave non-listening devices then it is far better to let the pi monitor 'WakeUps' in the log. It is then not dependent on the vagaries or overheads of Z-Wave polling. If you have 'Log Poll and Wake-Up messages' checked on the Z-Wave configuration page do you not get WakeUp messages in the log for the nodes of these devices?
Yes that box is checked. I do see messages in the log that say a 'device was recovered from a missed wake-up state'. Also in the log are entries that say a particular node was 'added to the message queue for processing'.

This morning all but one of the ecolink devices have reported again. This would follow what I said about them skipping a day. I will see if tomorrow morning they show 'missed' again.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old January 9th, 2018, 02:31 PM
SteveMSJ SteveMSJ is online now
Seer Master
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 783
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowinger View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMSJ View Post
I presume from you referring to 'Silent' that you have the pi set to monitor these devices using 'Activity Monitoring'. In this mode the pi will check the last change dates of all the child devices at the period you have set in the pi.
Yes I have all of my battery devices selected.
If the devices are non-listening devices you shouldn't need to select them for Activity Monitoring, they should be detected when they wake-up and monitoring devices automatically created. That said if a device has been selected for Activity Monitoring and then the pi detects a wake-up it should automatically deselect it from Activity Monitoring and change the monitoring child to Wake-up monitoring. There seems to be something odd here. Is 'Monitoring log for Wake-ups: selected on the SDJ-Health config page? It should be by default.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowinger View Post
Quote:
I'm not familiar with Ecolink devices but if they are typical Z-Wave non-listening devices then it is far better to let the pi monitor 'WakeUps' in the log. It is then not dependent on the vagaries or overheads of Z-Wave polling. If you have 'Log Poll and Wake-Up messages' checked on the Z-Wave configuration page do you not get WakeUp messages in the log for the nodes of these devices?
Yes that box is checked. I do see messages in the log that say a 'device was recovered from a missed wake-up state'. Also in the log are entries that say a particular node was 'added to the message queue for processing'.

This morning all but one of the ecolink devices have reported again. This would follow what I said about them skipping a day. I will see if tomorrow morning they show 'missed' again.
Unless you have any significant battery readings logged for the devices that you want to keep I suggest that you deselect them all from the 'Select Devices that require Activity Checking' list on the config page and then delete the monitoring child devices (NOTE only delete the child devices that are created by SDJ-Health don't delete any actual devices). Then let the pi create the monitoring devices automatically as each node wakes-up. Note this might take some time depending on the wake-up period you have set for each devices. The first time a device wakes the monitoring child should be created with a status of 'Waiting'. The next time it wakes up the pi will calculate the sleep period and the status will change to 'Healthy'. As long as the device keeps waking up it will stay healthy. No polling is involved in this.

Let me know how this works out.

Steve
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old January 9th, 2018, 03:29 PM
cowinger cowinger is offline
Seer Master
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Colorado
Posts: 682
OK, 'Monitoring Log for Wake-ups was checked. I have deleted all child devices from below the Health Root. The config shows NO devices selected under 'require polling' and 'require activity checking'.

From here I assume it is a waiting game to see what shows up?

So I am looking for a child device to be created and look for it to say wake-up monitoring, waiting, then healthy?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old January 9th, 2018, 07:35 PM
SteveMSJ SteveMSJ is online now
Seer Master
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 783
Ecolink Devices Show "Silent"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowinger View Post
OK, 'Monitoring Log for Wake-ups was checked. I have deleted all child devices from below the Health Root. The config shows NO devices selected under 'require polling' and 'require activity checking'.

From here I assume it is a waiting game to see what shows up?

So I am looking for a child device to be created and look for it to say wake-up monitoring, waiting, then healthy?


Yes that is correct. Every time a new device announces in the log that it has woken up the plugin will create an SDJ-Health device and start monitoring it. There should be no user interaction required for typical Z-Wave non-listening devices.
However if it doesn’t work for your devices we can investigate further.
Best of luck.
Steve
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old January 9th, 2018, 08:03 PM
cowinger cowinger is offline
Seer Master
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Colorado
Posts: 682
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMSJ View Post
Yes that is correct. Every time a new device announces in the log that it has woken up the plugin will create an SDJ-Health device and start monitoring it. There should be no user interaction required for typical Z-Wave non-listening devices.
However if it doesn’t work for your devices we can investigate further.
Best of luck.
Steve
Great! Last time it showed 3 devices in the 'requires polling' section. Will they show up as well in the list?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old January 9th, 2018, 11:24 PM
SteveMSJ SteveMSJ is online now
Seer Master
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 783
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowinger View Post
Great! Last time it showed 3 devices in the 'requires polling' section. Will they show up as well in the list?
If it used to say '3 devices selected' in the 'Devices Requiring Polling' section of the config page then that indicates you had manually selected 3 devices from the dropdown list of possible devices. That monitoring method is only required for certain devices that can't be monitored by wakeups or heartbeats and they have to be selected manually. Please refer to 'Methods of Monitoring Devices' on page 5 of the guide where I explain the 4 different methods of monitoring. A typical device that you might want to monitor by polling would be a battery powered siren. These are listening devices as they need to be always awake to respond to a command. Seeing as they don't log wake-ups the pi can't pick them up automatically. What particular devices had you previously selected in this section?

Steve
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old January 10th, 2018, 01:18 AM
cowinger cowinger is offline
Seer Master
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Colorado
Posts: 682
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMSJ View Post
If it used to say '3 devices selected' in the 'Devices Requiring Polling' section of the config page then that indicates you had manually selected 3 devices from the dropdown list of possible devices. That monitoring method is only required for certain devices that can't be monitored by wakeups or heartbeats and they have to be selected manually. Please refer to 'Methods of Monitoring Devices' on page 5 of the guide where I explain the 4 different methods of monitoring. A typical device that you might want to monitor by polling would be a battery powered siren. These are listening devices as they need to be always awake to respond to a command. Seeing as they don't log wake-ups the pi can't pick them up automatically. What particular devices had you previously selected in this section?

Steve
You nailed that on the head. The 3 devices were 2 Dome Sirens and a Vision Siren. So those 3 are OK I assume to poll like before?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old January 10th, 2018, 03:43 AM
SteveMSJ SteveMSJ is online now
Seer Master
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 783
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowinger View Post
You nailed that on the head. The 3 devices were 2 Dome Sirens and a Vision Siren. So those 3 are OK I assume to poll like before?


Yes.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Devices not updating after "show screen on top" skarragallagher HS3Touch Clients - Android 23 July 4th, 2017 07:28 PM
All plugins suddenly show " loaded remotly" collegeboyslive HomeSeer General Discussion Area 5 August 25th, 2015 09:57 AM
Why does status of "Aeon labs repeater slave node" show up as Off? mlevin77 HS3 / HS3PRO Discussion 0 August 25th, 2015 06:05 AM
HomeSeer does not detect devices responding to "ALL OFF" "ALL ON" from RemoteLinc FearlessOne Insteon Plug-in (Mark Sandler) 8 January 20th, 2012 01:28 AM
2 Leviton modules show "Monster Cable" as manufacturer Monk Lighting & Primary Technology Discussion 2 January 8th, 2011 12:55 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:39 AM.


Copyright HomeSeer Technologies, LLC