www.homeseer.com    

Go Back   HomeSeer Message Board > HomeSeer Products & Services > HomeSeer Software > HomeSeer Voices

HomeSeer Voices Discussions related to the HomeSeer add-on voices and their use within HomeSeer.

Old August 23rd, 2014, 03:52 PM
Seer Master

Crown PZM-11 for voice recognition?

I am thinking of enabling voice recognition in my kitchen and I wanted to install some microphones that would not be to conspicuous. It seems that the Crown PZM-11 fits this description but I wondered if anyone has had any experience with using them? Thanks.
Old August 23rd, 2014, 03:56 PM
OverSeer

What are plans in HS?
BLDSC,BLstat,BLRadar,BLRamdom,BLOccupied
BLups,BLrain8,HSTouch,Ultrajones Weatherbug,
MyTrigger,ACRF2,W800,Zwave
AP800,Honeywell Stat
Old August 23rd, 2014, 04:23 PM
Seer Master

I'm not sure I understand your response? What are my plans with VR? Turn on/off stereo, lights on/off, etc. Nothing special.
Old August 23rd, 2014, 06:20 PM
Seer Master

I'll throw in a "me too" post here... I just bought a couple of Gentner/ClearOne XAP800's to use for whole house audio and VR. Actually I ended up buying three since I bricked one of them trying to upgrade the firmware.

I'm looking at the Crown PZM-11 mics, but have no practical experience with them. Our home has 10 foot ceilings. Is that too high for ceiling mics? Should I put them in the walls instead?
Second home: Zee S2 with Z-Wave, CT101 Z-Wave Thermostat, Aeotec Z-Wave microswitches, HSM200 occupancy sensor, Ecolink Z-Wave door sensors, STI Driveway Monitor interfaced to Zee S2 GPIO pins.
Old August 24th, 2014, 12:58 AM
OverSeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonmason View Post
I'm not sure I understand your response? What are my plans with VR? Turn on/off stereo, lights on/off, etc. Nothing special.
If your planning to put the these mic, you need phantom power to make them work (24v). How are planning to switch them on and off? If you leave them on all the time HS will respond to any noise picked up by the mics. You would need a mic mixer to over come both issues. An ap800 will work.
Old August 24th, 2014, 01:02 AM
OverSeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by reidfo View Post
I'll throw in a "me too" post here... I just bought a couple of Gentner/ClearOne XAP800's to use for whole house audio and VR. Actually I ended up buying three since I bricked one of them trying to upgrade the firmware.

I'm looking at the Crown PZM-11 mics, but have no practical experience with them. Our home has 10 foot ceilings. Is that too high for ceiling mics? Should I put them in the walls instead?
Xap800 will work just fine with your Pzm mics. U also need the software to adjust parameters, ( much simpler) then doing it on the unit itself . Mic should be installed at mouth level in a wall. This will prevent problems with echo In the room..
Old August 24th, 2014, 08:16 AM
Seer Master

Currently the plan is to only set this up in the kitchen. So I won't need a mic mixer unless I need more than one mic to cover that room. My plan was to leave them active all of the time but to use a unique attention word so homeseer will only respond once it hears this word. Does this make sense?
Old August 24th, 2014, 10:48 AM
OverSeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonmason View Post
Currently the plan is to only set this up in the kitchen. So I won't need a mic mixer unless I need more than one mic to cover that room. My plan was to leave them active all of the time but to use a unique attention word so homeseer will only respond once it hears this word. Does this make sense?
If you install as plan, you will see that HS will respond to any similar sound that is generated (TV,radio). And if u do get it to work,you will find that it will have a hard time trying to understand u with all of the background noise generated by your surroundings. You will also need to train windows for your voice.

The mic mixer (ap800,xap800) are not just mic mixers, there echo cancelation units. When properly setup it can strip the background noise from the actual sound going into the mic connected. I have one mic installed in my family room and a Ap800 (for now) percentage of accuracy, 80%. It got some time to get it this way ( training, position of mics, adjusting volumes,filters,condition of room (echo) and filtering out unwanted background noise)
Old September 9th, 2014, 02:43 AM
Seer Plus

Have you considered using a Kinect and the Kinect plugin for this? Sounds like the guys are having pretty darn good results with VR. The Kinect can be had for around $30 in many places used and these work fine. You can also use it for an occupancy sensor too. Not a bad idea if you have a computer within about 50' or so