Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suggestions on a system

Greets,

Currently I don't have an alarm panel/system of any kind. My house is older built in the early 80's and not pre-wired. I do have my own z-wave sensors across the house and currently using HS3. What panel could I get to integrate for arm/disarm of a DIY alarm system? I would like a panel that can also be extended to use regular security sensors and be able to integrate those into HS as well if possible.

Looking for some ideas/options of what is possible without having a wired home.

HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
      My smoke and CO detectors are wired to the panel.
      Hi Randy,

How do you tie in your wired smoke and CO detectors into your security panel?

Thanks,
      Dave

Comment

Originally posted by NetworkGuy View Post
        Hi Randy,

How do you tie in your wired smoke and CO detectors into your security panel?

Thanks,
        Dave
        They are Kidde interconnected alarms. We have a dual mode smoke in each room, heat in the garage and attic, CO/Smoke in the hallway and one room of the basement and a CO only near the boiler. I have a CO120X and a SM120X relay modules, each one a zone in the panel.

Comment

They are Kidde interconnected alarms. We have a dual mode smoke in each room, heat in the garage and attic, CO/Smoke in the hallway and one room of the basement and a CO only near the boiler. I have a CO120X and a SM120X relay modules, each one a zone in the panel.
          Thanks Randy, hadn't thought of the garage or attic, but heat is good there. Did your home come wired that way? Seems like not a typical setup. I don't have a wired detector near the boiler, but may run one to include it as well - CO I'd definitely wanted there.

Comment

Thanks Randy, hadn't thought of the garage or attic, but heat is good there. Did your home come wired that way? Seems like not a typical setup. I don't have a wired detector near the boiler, but may run one to include it as well - CO I'd definitely wanted there.
            My house is about 40 years old. It had a single wired smoke detector in the ground level hallway, on a shared circuit with other light circuits. I ran a fresh dedicated 14/3 run from the breaker panel. It goes to the attic, then the bedrooms, the hallway, the living room, the garage and down to the basement, eventually ending up at the boiler CO detector. The CO detector in the basement mounts in a 2-gang box and the relays are inside. The alarm panel is around the corner in my server closet. All of the alarms are interconnected and the combo Smoke/CO alarms announce whether it is a smoke or CO event.

Click image for larger version

Name:	kidde.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	1196467

Name:	IMG_2459a.jpg
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	1196468

Comment

My house is about 40 years old. It had a single wired smoke detector in the ground level hallway, on a shared circuit with other light circuits. I ran a fresh dedicated 14/3 run from the breaker panel. It goes to the attic, then the bedrooms, the hallway, the living room, the garage and down to the basement, eventually ending up at the boiler CO detector. The CO detector in the basement mounts in a 2-gang box and the relays are inside. The alarm panel is around the corner in my server closet. All of the alarms are interconnected and the combo Smoke/CO alarms announce whether it is a smoke or CO event.

[ATTACH]68334[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]68336[/ATTACH]
              Nice setup! For the 2-gang CO detector, besides power, what relays are needed - are they wireless? The smoke alarms I've seen are 120v wired only.

Comment

Nice setup! For the 2-gang CO detector, besides power, what relays are needed - are they wireless? The smoke alarms I've seen are 120v wired only.
                They are all wired with battery backup. For smoke and CO, I want them wired. The relays are the Kidde SM120X and CO120X relay modules. The only power to the detectors is a 14/3 romex run as a dedicated circuit from the breaker panel. Then three wires - common, smoke and CO go to the alarm panel from the relays.

Name:	kidde-SM120X-smokerelay-module.jpg
Size:	16.6 KB
ID:	1196469

Name:	kidde-CO120X-smokerelay-module.jpg
Size:	16.7 KB
ID:	1196470

Comment

They are all wired with battery backup. For smoke and CO, I want them wired. The relays are the Kidde SM120X and CO120X relay modules. The only power to the detectors is a 14/3 romex run as a dedicated circuit from the breaker panel. Then three wires - common, smoke and CO go to the alarm panel from the relays.

[ATTACH]68337[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]68338[/ATTACH]
                  Thanks Randy! I recall reading another thread about Kidde smoke detectors on the forum using something similar to your relays, but I believe they were wireless - as far as I remember anyway. Yours run three wires back to your security panel?

Is that more like security wire (e.g. 22/3)?

Could those wires be run from any smoke detector along the way - using the shortest route to your security panel?

I'll try to read up about those relays later tonight when I get home too.

The reason for asking is that my boiler is much further away from my panel location. But I have a smoke alarm much closer (single gang box though).

I could probably run from the boiler location, but it would be closer to 35' (or 40' with the route needed).
                  Last edited by NetworkGuy; April 20, 2018, 09:12 PM.

Comment

Randy,
                    Who do you use as a monitoring company? I need to find one that allows tinkering

Comment

Working...
                    X