Problems creating a new HS3 uSD card for Rpi2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problems creating a new HS3 uSD card for Rpi2

I got HS3 running on an 8gb card back in Feb (Wheezy I think)but it looks like I filled up the card (clues: Lost all my insteon devices, I could not run a backup). File write errors show on the console.

I been trying for hours to create a new image (Jessie) on a 16gb and 32gb uSD card (the Wheezy option gives an error). On these the browser does not find the HS3 screen using either find.homesser.com or keying in the IP address. But it is present on the network. I can see the Recovery screen on port :911 but nothing seems to execute (no reboot).

On the console screen I do see some errors go by that look file system related. Pictures of the errors:
    ( https://www.dropbox.com/sh/kenpv1n0r...H6VkzF4qa?dl=0 )

I've tried many time with two cards or different card readers using both Windows and Mac and even a second Rpi2. I used the SD Card formatter util as per the readme file.

Is either the current Jessie image or the posted hs3pi2boot.zip file broken? Seems to me it was easy to create the image back in February.

Also when you folks say SSH to the cli on the console what would the passwords be? I've tried user:homeseer no password and Root/hsthsths3 and it doesn't let me in.

Help!

Easier way is to image your current micro SD card using Win32 Disk Imager.

Save the image to your Windows computer and...

Then write the image to your new 16Gb or 32Gb uSD card.

On new boot the uSD card will fix itself such that you do not get errors.
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
      Easier way is to image your current micro SD card using Win32 Disk Imager.

Save the image to your Windows computer and...

Then write the image to your new 16Gb or 32Gb uSD card.

On new boot the uSD card will fix itself such that you do not get errors.
      I tried that but Win32diskimager asked for drive letter. The card comes up in windows with 3 drive letters. How would you set Win32diskimager to do this?

I tried it using Acronis disk imager sector by sector because it lets you select the drive number. It worked but the partitions stayed the same size and left the rest of the card unallocated. I retried it letting Acronis expand the partitions to fill the drive but I get the same result. 7Gb of the 16gb card is unallocated.

Is there a process I need to run to get it to use the entire card?
      Last edited by ve3bwp; April 21, 2018, 09:24 PM.

Comment

How would you set Win32diskimager to do this?

Pick the first drive letter.

You can also use MiniTools (free) to do this and expand partitions (in Windows).

Here utilize Ubuntu and GParted to SD to SD cards. You can download a live Ubuntu ISO boot stick or cd rom and run it live with GParted.

Note you really do not need more than a 16Gb SD card for Homeseer 3 lite. Larger than 16Gb is more difficult to copy and uses more space unless you compress the copy using DD in Linux.
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

How would you set Win32diskimager to do this?

Pick the first drive letter.

You can also use MiniTools (free) to do this and expand partitions (in Windows).

Here utilize Ubuntu and GParted to SD to SD cards. You can download a live Ubuntu ISO boot stick or cd rom and run it live with GParted.

Note you really do not need more than a 16Gb SD card for Homeseer 3 lite. Larger than 16Gb is more difficult to copy and uses more space unless you compress the copy using DD in Linux.
          - Used Win32 Disk Imager to image HS3 from the 8Gb card to the 16Gb one. It booted and HS3 worked fine. I shutdown, pulled the card back out of the Rpi and read the partitions. Unchanged and there is still 7Gb unallocated. See Photo... https://www.dropbox.com/s/jorptxc31h...mager.JPG?dl=0

- Tried Minitools to resize. It would not allow me to resize...just let me slide the partition around in the unallocated space.

- Booted into Gparted on a live disc. Gparted would not allow me to expand the partition. It showed it had no space before or after to expand into. She photo https://www.dropbox.com/s/2pivrg4mx6...arted.JPG?dl=0

Any other options?

Comment

It can be done from the shell command line. Can you login to the unit?

https://coderwall.com/p/mhj8jw/raspb...o-fill-sd-card

Comment

Originally posted by zwolfpack View Post
              It can be done from the shell command line. Can you login to the unit?

https://coderwall.com/p/mhj8jw/raspb...o-fill-sd-card
              No I haven't been able to confirm what the default password is for this image.

Comment

Been goofing around with a new SEL in the UK today.

Found out that default sudo username is homeseer and password is hsthsths3.

It is the same for the RPi / Zee2.

So ssh to your RPi with the username homeseer.

sudo su

change the password to homeseer.

run raspi-config to fill the partition.

Easy and fast.

Then if you want change the root password and access via SSH for root.

BTW GParted works if you unmount the OS partition on the SD card as it automagically mounts in Linux.

Then expand the partition.
                - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Been goofing around with a new SEL in the UK today.

Found out that default sudo username is homeseer and password is hsthsths3.

It is the same for the RPi / Zee2.

So ssh to your RPi with the username homeseer.

sudo su

change the password to homeseer.

run raspi-config to fill the partition.

Easy and fast.

Then if you want change the root password and access via SSH for root.

BTW GParted works if you unmount the OS partition on the SD card as it automagically mounts in Linux.

Then expand the partition.
                  ok I got the the password sorted out. When I run raspi-config to fill the partition (option 1) I get the following error "Your partition layout is not currently supported by this tool. You are probably using NOOBS, in which case your root file system is expanded anyway"
                  Yet when I check it again in windows Disk Management it still shows 7Gb unallocated.

>>>BTW GParted works if you unmount the OS partition on the SD card as it automagically mounts in Linux.

OK I have it open in Gparted now. Which one is considered the OS partition? See photo ( https://www.dropbox.com/s/zkq67a4p7x...d%202.JPG?dl=0 ) and how do I unmount it? When I right click on each partition listed the Mount option is greyed out on all of them.

Please advise.

Thanks!
                  Last edited by ve3bwp; April 23, 2018, 12:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ve3bwp View Post
                    Yet when I check it in windows Disk Management it still shows 7Gb unallocated.
                    The Linux file system is not a Windows type and isn't necessarily understood by Windows tools.

The Linux command to display disk allocation is:

df -h

Post result of this.

Comment

The Linux file system is not a Windows type and isn't necessarily understood by Windows tools.

The Linux command to display disk allocation is:

df -h

Post result of this.
                      Here are the results of df -h. See photo..

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kcb1vdxqyz...0card.JPG?dl=0

Brian

Comment

Can you post the text? Dropbox blocked here at work ...

Comment

FYI, I am getting the same errors when trying to make RPI image.

Comment

Viewed it on the phone...

It shows that the Linux filesystem (/dev/root) is of size 7GB, but it is 100% full. This shouldn't be. I'd wager that you have a runaway log file of some sort.

To find big files, try this command and post results.

find / -size +100M

This will display all files greater than 100MB in size.

Comment

Viewed it on the phone...

It shows that the Linux filesystem (/dev/root) is of size 7GB, but it is 100% full. This shouldn't be. I'd wager that you have a runaway log file of some sort.

To find big files, try this command and post results.

find / -size +100M

This will display all files greater than 100MB in size.
                              I just get hundreds of lines scroll by all saying 'Permission denied' at the end of each line. A couple that say 'No such file or directory'.

Brian

Comment

Working...
                              X