Plug In Not Logging Data - Solved!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by swede View Post
    Looks like usb/serial connection was hosed. I couldn't get the currentcost software to log any data either until I rebooted several times. Once the interface started talking to the CC program Homeseer started logging again. I really hate when things fix themselves!
    So it was software/OS in your case?

Were you getting an error message reporting a problem with the USB-Serial port, in the Ports area of Device Manager?

Comment

Even though I was getting NO error messages from HSPro or Win7 Device Manager, I ended up removing and reinstalling several of my Ports.

This seems to have resolved the Current Cost problem.

So I guess the "Solved" addendum was prescient.

Though this issue makes no sense (to me), I hope this is useful in some way, to another HS user.

Thanks to all who provided input.

Comment

Thats right - no errors anywhere, just no data. I think what finally fixed it was removing the usb adpt and plugging it back in after a cold reboot. Somedays I wish we had REAL serial ports instead of these usb dongles with drivers that crap out everytime MS or the vendor changes some totally unrelated code!
        Last edited by swede; March 13, 2013, 02:21 PM.

Comment

Well I gave up getting data logged with my Current Cost through HS awhile ago, but I'm revisiting it because I'd really like to log my usage from the EnviR.

My Current Cost display and sensors work fine and I have the plug-in enabled on the right com port. I have the display in my kitchen connected to cat5 going to the basement where my HomeTroller is.
          I am using a cat5 coupling with the Current Cost Serial to USB cable connected to the HomeTroller.

With this setup I can't get data to log, however if I plug the EnviR display directly to the HomeTroller with the serial to usb cable then it will work.

So something about the cat5 extension is preventing the data from being received. The cable and terminations are good on the cat5 and have been checked with a tester. Perhaps it's just too long for the serial connection. It's only about 50-60ft of cable.

Anyone have any ideas or have tried extending their display with success?

Comment

Originally posted by kaffeene View Post
            Well I gave up getting data logged with my Current Cost through HS awhile ago, but I'm revisiting it because I'd really like to log my usage from the EnviR.

My Current Cost display and sensors work fine and I have the plug-in enabled on the right com port. I have the display in my kitchen connected to cat5 going to the basement where my HomeTroller is.
            I am using a cat5 coupling with the Current Cost Serial to USB cable connected to the HomeTroller.

With this setup I can't get data to log, however if I plug the EnviR display directly to the HomeTroller with the serial to usb cable then it will work.

So something about the cat5 extension is preventing the data from being received. The cable and terminations are good on the cat5 and have been checked with a tester. Perhaps it's just too long for the serial connection. It's only about 50-60ft of cable.

Anyone have any ideas or have tried extending their display with success?
            The voltage levels out of the back of the unit are not at RS232 levels and are much much weaker, I couldn't get reliable transmission over CAT5 for more than about 10 feet IIRC. Even if I could get the data that far the data would have corruption in it.

I think you have two options, an RS232 level converter to CAT5 (the distances I think should be manageable however the baud rate of the unit is fairly high so the transmission distance does drop off) and then send proper serial down the CAT5. The other option may be a USB balun (not sure if the distance would be an an issue here or a USB server.

Comment

Ok... I'm going to contribute to the whole "Soldved" portion of this thread title, finally!

I was thinking that the data was obviously not getting from the display to HS and had thought about trying the USB to cat5 balun, (as mrhappy suggested) but didn't really believe it would work either. I feel ridiculous because I should have just tried it, I've had a USB extender over cat5/6 sitting in a closet, brand new in the package for almost 3 yrs.

So this morning I plugged one end of the USB extender into the HomeTroller and the other end on my kitchen counters cat5 jack. Plugged in the CurrentCost serial to usb cable to the display unit, enabled the plug-in and it was logging immediately.

I actually used a MP USB extender I bought for about $10 awhile back. Such simple solutions. So for anyone wanting to extend the reach of their EnviR display over cat5/6 up to, (according to the package) 150ft than a USB extender is the answer.

Comment

I think the other way to achieve having an the Envi display in a remote area or location farther than the serial-to-usb cable can reach is to just add a second display.
                One display in a convenient location for viewing and another display connected in close proximity of your computer or HomeTroller. Just pair them both to the CT transmitter.

This would have been my next option if the USB extender did not work.

Comment

I think the other way to achieve having an the Envi display in a remote area or location farther than the serial-to-usb cable can reach is to just add a second display.
                  One display in a convenient location for viewing and another display connected in close proximity of your computer or HomeTroller. Just pair them both to the CT transmitter.

This would have been my next option if the USB extender did not work.
                  Absolutely, the Current Cost Trec was built I think with this in mind (simple additional display), other option if you feel adventurous is to build an custom external display with something like an LCD and an Arduino and HS can send data back out another serial port.

Comment

Well it's official, I'm doomed to ever get this thing working properly.

Ok so HS was logging the EnviR just fine, however having the EnviR plugged into my HomeTroller not only crashes HS, but it crashes or causes a lock-up to my HomeTroller too. I actually have to push the power button twice on the front of the HT to get it to power down and power up. I can't access it through RealVNC and This happened several times in a row, until I disconnected the cable connecting the EnviR to the HomeTroller.

I remember this happening awhile back when I would try to log the data from the EnviR, however at that time it wasn't logging because I didn't use the USB extender like I am now. I thought that it had something to do with the data stream being corrupted and causing the crash. But now it logs the data with this new setup (until it crashes everything), so I am stuck on why this is happening.

I'm surprised I haven't heard of more people using a Current Cost display with this type of connection considering most peoples hardware running HS isn't going to be where it's convenient to regularly view the display. Of course maybe they are updating it real-time through HSTouch with an iPad near by.

Comment

I had to replace the data cable on my EnviR a year or so ago. It did work for a long time after that. Just last week, the entire unit gave up the ghost and died. The display no longer powers up and I've tried a new powre supply as well. It had a great run and worked fairly well.

I think I'm going ZWave on my next energy monitor. I've had good success with the Aeon Smart energy switches and the whole house monitor is a little cheaper than a new EnviR solution.
                      HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
                      54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
                      Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Originally posted by rmasonjr View Post
                        I had to replace the data cable on my EnviR a year or so ago. It did work for a long time after that. Just last week, the entire unit gave up the ghost and died. The display no longer powers up and I've tried a new powre supply as well. It had a great run and worked fairly well.

I think I'm going ZWave on my next energy monitor. I've had good success with the Aeon Smart energy switches and the whole house monitor is a little cheaper than a new EnviR solution.
                        Yeah I wonder if I just got a bad data cable, of course I don't really want to purchase a new one just to find out that's not the issue.

I'll have to check out that whole house monitor.

Comment

Using serial here

Yeah I wonder if I just got a bad data cable, of course I don't really want to purchase a new one just to find out that's not the issue.

I'll have to check out that whole house monitor.
                          I gave up on the CC-supplied USB cable (tried both the supplied "black end" cable and the "white end" cable) and went with a serial cable - no drivers to worry about! My HS2Pro was locking up/crashing about once per week and it became SUPER stable when I pulled out the CC USB cable.

FWIW
                          Steve

(System configuration is in my profile)

Comment

Well I tried plugging in the USB-serial cable locally on the HomeTroller and it still locked up. So it has nothing to do with the distance. It's a shame because my USB extender worked, however I had a two part problem. One with the distance for the serial connection and the other must be a bad Current Cost cable.

What's the method for getting that serial data through a higher powered connection with a DB9 termination? That way I can overcome the distance and connect it directly to the HT.

Comment

No doubt about it the standard USB adapter is not the best, there are a lot of driver issues with it and it seems to have no problems in installing incompatible drivers which does lead to crashing and other issues.

HS do have some HomeTroller specific drivers here http://homeseer.com/downloads/Prolific-Driver.zip which might be worth trying in case another version is installed.

Two options for an actual serial cable is to buy one from Current Cost (think you have to contact them directly) or build one with a RS232 level shifter which you could pick up from eBay and a CAT5 cable. There are a few guides on the net as to which wires would go where.

Comment

Originally posted by mrhappy View Post
                                ... Two options for an actual serial cable is to buy one from Current Cost (think you have to contact them directly) or build one with a RS232 level shifter which you could pick up from eBay and a CAT5 cable. There are a few guides on the net as to which wires would go where.
                                Current Cost no longer sells the serial cable, so I had to build one myself. I bought a TTL-to-DB9 cable (based on a MAX 3232 chip, I think CCs cable used a MAX 232 chip) from eBay and used a four-wire telephone cable to make mine.

FWIW
                                Steve

(System configuration is in my profile)

Comment

Working...
                                X