No announcement yet.

X10 ERROR (Ti103) "...Argument 'Start' must be greater than zero" [Resolved]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

X10 ERROR (Ti103) "...Argument 'Start' must be greater than zero" [Resolved]

For the past month or so I have been getting the following error in my log

---error in MSComm1_OnComm :Argument 'Start' must be greater than zero

I have not made any hardware or software changes. I have searched the forums and not found a clear solution. I am really frustrated in trying to solve this issue.

Any help will be welcome.

Thanks

Ed
    Last edited by mfisher; April 17, 2018, 08:57 AM.

You need to consider contacting who ever wrote the X10 device driver that you use. There appears to be some issue with the serial routines.

Is X10 working for you at all?
    HomeSeer 2, HomeSeer 3, Allonis myServer, Amazon Alexa Dots, ELK M1G, ISY 994i, HomeKit, BlueIris, and 6 "4k" Cameras using NVR, and integration between all of these systems. Home Automation since 1980.

Comment

Could you indicate what equipment you're using. Which controller, switches, plugin etc. It will help to narrow down your problem.

Comment

X10 issue

Originally posted by concordseer View Post
        Could you indicate what equipment you're using. Which controller, switches, plugin etc. It will help to narrow down your problem.
        Sorry, should have posted that in the first place.

Plug in is the included x10 plugin v 3.0.0.36

All x10 devices seem to work properly,
        several light switches and lamp modules.

The controller is the TI103/231

Not sure what is going on. The serial port seems happy.

Thanks

Ed

Comment

If you are running on Windows 10...it could be the auto updates occurring in the middle of the night (thinking 3 AM local time). Other HS users have complained about the Windows 10 auto updating stuff.

You can enable debug on the X10 plugin and get some granularity to see what is happening.

The same error was reported in 2015 and it occurred in the middle of the night.

MSComm1_OnComm Error
          - Pete

Auto mator
          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
          Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
          HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
          HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

X10 ERROR

Originally posted by Pete View Post
            If you are running on Windows 10...it could be the auto updates occurring in the middle of the night (thinking 3 AM local time). Other HS users have complained about the Windows 10 auto updating stuff.

You can enable debug on the X10 plugin and get some granularity to see what is happening.

The same error was reported in 2015 and it occurred in the middle of the night.

MSComm1_OnComm Error
            Thanks Pete,

The server is on Windows 7 Ultra and has preformed flawless for the past several years. So not sure if it was a Windows update or a Homeseer update that caused the issue.

Again THanks, Guess I will just have to live with it for now

Comment

Do you happen to have a CM11 kicking about that you can try? I use a T1103 like yourself but with the plugin version .45. No problems noted here. I have the TI103 attached to an Edgeport. Though I doubt it makes any difference, I'm running Windows 2016 Server and Homeseer as a service via Fire Daemon.

I would start ruling things out... changing comm ports, the interface itself and whatever you're using if at all for port emulation. Perhaps upgrading the plugin wouldn't hurt - though now you're introducing another variable now especially since as you noted, it had worked previously.

Robert
              HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

Originally posted by edwilloughby View Post
                Sorry, should have posted that in the first place.

Plug in is the included x10 plugin v 3.0.0.36

All x10 devices seem to work properly,
                several light switches and lamp modules.

The controller is the TI103/231

Not sure what is going on. The serial port seems happy.

Thanks

Ed
                Please install the latest plugin beta version 3.0.0.45 which is located here: https://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=185551. The error you are experiencing was discovered in v.36 and has not been reported by anyone using versions after v.36. Please let us know what happens after you update.

Also, since this thread is about an X10 specific bug, I'm going to request that it be moved to the X10 Plugin subforum so others will be able to find it easily. It's always best to look and post in that forum first when you have any X10 issues.
                Best regards,
                -Mark-

If you're not out on the edge, you're taking up too much room!
                Interested in 3D maps? Check out my company site: Solid Terrain Modeling

Comment

X10 Error

Originally posted by mfisher View Post
                  Please install the latest plugin beta version 3.0.0.45 which is located here: https://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=185551. The error you are experiencing was discovered in v.36 and has not been reported by anyone using versions after v.36. Please let us know what happens after you update.

Also, since this thread is about an X10 specific bug, I'm going to request that it be moved to the X10 Plugin subforum so others will be able to find it easily. It's always best to look and post in that forum first when you have any X10 issues.

Thanks, I did update to 3.0.0.45

Feb-03 11:37:05 AM X10 ERROR error in MSComm1_OnComm :Argument 'Start' must be greater than zero.

This is the result.

Again thanks

Ed

Comment

Ed, what poll rate setting are you using for the Ti103? If it is anything other than 300, please set it to 300 and test.

I should have a new version out shortly to help us debug this issue..
                    Best regards,
                    -Mark-

If you're not out on the edge, you're taking up too much room!
                    Interested in 3D maps? Check out my company site: Solid Terrain Modeling

Comment

Originally posted by mfisher View Post
                      Ed, what poll rate setting are you using for the Ti103? If it is anything other than 300, please set it to 300 and test.

I should have a new version out shortly to help us debug this issue..
                      It is at 300ms (default), have tried other timing still no joy.

Thanks for the input

Comment

Have you tried changing the serial port or do you have a CM11A around (as mentioned above).

Relating to a legacy serial port com number change you can change it in the BIOS of the computer.

If you are using a USB to serial cable you can change the com port in the device manager.

If you are using a USB to serial cable what chipset does it use?

You can sniff the serial port if it is talking to Homeseer using

Portmon for Windows v3.03
                        Last edited by Pete; February 6, 2018, 02:06 PM.
                        - Pete

Auto mator
                        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

X10 Error

Originally posted by Pete View Post
                          Have you tried changing the serial port or do you have a CM11A around (as mentioned above).

Relating to a legacy serial port com number change you can change it in the BIOS of the computer.

If you are using a USB to serial cable you can change the com port in the device manager.

If you are using a USB to serial cable what chipset does it use?

You can sniff the serial port if it is talking to Homeseer using

Portmon for Windows v3.03
                          Thanks for the suggestions.

No CM11 and only one com port. I will use the sniffer and see what is going on.

Thanks
                          Ed

Comment

Are you using a 9 PIN RS-232 port on the computer?

Also try changing the com port from 1 to 2.

Typically com 1 is 3F8/IRQ4 and com 2 is 2F8/IRQ3.

or

the old motherboards typically had two serial pin sets on the motherboard; one was for com1 and the other for com2. You can move the ribbon cable if there is one.

A sniffer may show issues. I am guessing that you have used portmon before.

You might have access in the BIOS such that you can make the com port 2F8/IRQ3 such that becomes com port 2 in the device manager.
                            - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Been testing the X10 plugin here on my HS3 Lite box running on a Pine64 2Gb computer.

Noticed that my HS3 Pro box has one legacy 9 pin serial port on it which would be com1.

Will connect the CM11A to com port #1 and see how it runs. Note this will be running in Linux.
                              - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Working...
                              X