WD200+ Dimmer Switch loops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WD200+ Dimmer Switch loops

I've had the WD200+ installed for about a week, now. Initially, it was controlling three dimmable LEDs in a ceiling fan, but they would never completely go off. So, I replaced them with three incandescents, which do go completely out, but now I've noticed that if I set the percentage to anything greater than around 87%, the dimmer "loops", that is, it goes to full intensity, then drops to approximately 50%, then 0%, then ramps back to 100%, and continues doing that until I tap "off", or set the dim value below 85% in HomeSeer or ImperiHome. It does this whether the value is set via pressing the"brighter" paddle, or remotely through HS.

Any ideas? I did not break off the heatsink tabs, by the way.

Sent from my P01MA using Tapatalk

Originally posted by Mitch_Thompson View Post
    I've had the WD200+ installed for about a week, now. Initially, it was controlling three dimmable LEDs in a ceiling fan, but they would never completely go off. So, I replaced them with three incandescents, which do go completely out, but now I've noticed that if I set the percentage to anything greater than around 87%, the dimmer "loops", that is, it goes to full intensity, then drops to approximately 50%, then 0%, then ramps back to 100%, and continues doing that until I tap "off", or set the dim value below 85% in HomeSeer or ImperiHome. It does this whether the value is set via pressing the"brighter" paddle, or remotely through HS.

Any ideas? I did not break off the heatsink tabs, by the way.

What do the logs show? Have you tried to disable the z-wave plugin in HS3 then retest this? This would isolate an issue with the switch vs. something on the z-wave or HS3 side.

Comment

Originally posted by integlikewhoa View Post
      What do the logs show? Have you tried to disable the z-wave plugin in HS3 then retest this? This would isolate an issue with the switch vs. something on the z-wave or HS3 side.
      There are some entries in the log for the device, but nothing that indicates an error.

Feb-27 22:27:54 Z-Wave Set_New_Level, Parent: Z-Wave Lights Living Room Dimmer - Master, Child:Z-Wave Lights LR Dimmer Switch Multilevel
      Feb-27 22:27:54 Z-Wave Set_New_Level, Parent: Z-Wave Lights Living Room Dimmer - Master, Child:Z-Wave Lights LR Dimmer - Central Scene
      Feb-27 22:27:48 Z-Wave Set_New_Level, Parent: Z-Wave Lights Living Room Dimmer - Master, Child:Z-Wave Lights LR Dimmer - Central Scene
      Feb-27 22:27:46 Z-Wave Set_New_Level, Parent: Z-Wave Lights Living Room Dimmer - Master, Child:Z-Wave Lights LR Dimmer - Central Scene
      Feb-27 22:27:42 Z-Wave Set_New_Level, Parent: Z-Wave Lights Living Room Dimmer - Master, Child:Z-Wave Lights LR Dimmer - Central Scene
      Feb-27 17:43:34 Event Event Trigger "Lighting Living Room Lamps Off (through Living Room Dimmer)"

One thing I forgot to add (sorry!) is that if I press and hold the Up paddle on the dimmer, I get the same effect: lights go to full brightness, then a drop to about 50% (guessing), then 0%, then a ramp back up to full brightness. Is this normal? Sorry, I've never had a dimmer installed (other than the old "volume control" type), so I don't know.

I'll try the z-wave plugin disable suggestion this evening.

Thanks!

Comment

There are some entries in the log for the device, but nothing that indicates an error.

One thing I forgot to add (sorry!) is that if I press and hold the Up paddle on the dimmer, I get the same effect: lights go to full brightness, then a drop to about 50% (guessing), then 0%, then a ramp back up to full brightness. Is this normal? Sorry, I've never had a dimmer installed (other than the old "volume control" type), so I don't know.

I'll try the z-wave plugin disable suggestion this evening.

Thanks!
        Obviously this is not normal I just want to make sure there is nothing on the controller side causing this. Disabling the z-wave plugin, or shutting down hs3 or something along those lines separates the switch from homeseer and then if it still does it we know it's in the switch and nothing to do on HS3, zwave or anything else.

Also when you say a drop to 50% then 0% are you checking the log or percentage reading in HS3 to verify that its commanding and showing 50% then off. Rather then just looking at the bulb. Another words is the bulb doing the same % that is showing in homeseer?

Comment

Obviously this is not normal I just want to make sure there is nothing on the controller side causing this. Disabling the z-wave plugin, or shutting down hs3 or something along those lines separates the switch from homeseer and then if it still does it we know it's in the switch and nothing to do on HS3, zwave or anything else.

Also when you say a drop to 50% then 0% are you checking the log or percentage reading in HS3 to verify that its commanding and showing 50% then off. Rather then just looking at the bulb. Another words is the bulb doing the same % that is showing in homeseer?

I had similar problems with standard dimmer not connected to Homeseer at my fathers house. I looked online and found that many times fan lights have a power limiting device in there that causes havoc with the dimmer. I went into the fan and removed it. All is good and has been for 6 months now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Sorry for the delayed response.

I disabled Z-Wave in HS and tried again with the same results. I've attached a video showing the lights while pressing and holding the up paddle. As you can see, as long as the up paddle is held down, the light loops. If I release the paddle, then begin tapping it to incrementally brighten the lights, when the dimmer gets to the next to the last LED level, it will dim back down, then ramps back up. Occasionally, when I tap to increment to the brightest level, the lights will flicker.

I've gone ahead and ordered a second WD-200+, to see if I get the same results. If I don't, I'll return the first one. If I do, I guess I just declare it a "feature" of the dimmer and live with it.

Thanks.http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5a9abc33...303_091503.mp4

Comment

Originally posted by mmnissan View Post
              I had similar problems with standard dimmer not connected to Homeseer at my fathers house. I looked online and found that many times fan lights have a power limiting device in there that causes havoc with the dimmer. I went into the fan and removed it. All is good and has been for 6 months now.

Hmm, hadn't thought of that. Is that the square device about the size of a Starburst candy?

If it's not a dimmer problem, maybe the three 60 watt incandescents are too much?

Comment

Hmm, hadn't thought of that. Is that the square device about the size of a Starburst candy?

If it's not a dimmer problem, maybe the three 60 watt incandescents are too much?

Sounds about right. I just clipped it out.

Comment

Sorry for the delayed response.

I disabled Z-Wave in HS and tried again with the same results. I've attached a video showing the lights while pressing and holding the up paddle. As you can see, as long as the up paddle is held down, the light loops. If I release the paddle, then begin tapping it to incrementally brighten the lights, when the dimmer gets to the next to the last LED level, it will dim back down, then ramps back up. Occasionally, when I tap to increment to the brightest level, the lights will flicker.

I've gone ahead and ordered a second WD-200+, to see if I get the same results. If I don't, I'll return the first one. If I do, I guess I just declare it a "feature" of the dimmer and live with it.

Thanks.http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5a9abc33...303_091503.mp4

The new dimmer arrived and it does the same thing. So, I guess it's either a feature, maybe to be fixed with a software update later, or the load from 3 60-watt incandescents is too much. Should I drop to 40 watts?

Comment

The new dimmer arrived and it does the same thing. So, I guess it's either a feature, maybe to be fixed with a software update later, or the load from 3 60-watt incandescents is too much. Should I drop to 40 watts?

I wouldn't think so. I don't remember reading about the HS dimmers, but Jasco dimmers are rated at ^00 watts, 500 watts with one side of heat sinks removed and 400 watts with both sides removed. 120 watts should not be a problem. I have an HS-WD200+ running 280 watts of track lighting without issue.
                    HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Working...
                    X