This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SteveMSJ View Post
    I wish I was as organised as you. I found it a long learning curve working through the basic plugin samples to understand how things work when writing my own plugin. Whilst I cracked most of it, or at least the bits I needed, I suspect that when I start another plugin project after a few months gap I will have forgotten most of what I learnt

Your work will be very useful to us all.
    Thanks,
    Steve
    Thansk, Steve!

I've already exeeded my own requirements for the first couple of plugins I want to make, but I know I will hit the wall just after that, so I keep testing and developing my sample project.

Keep in mind that it is based on the basic sample, so the very advanced stuff won't be coverede (at least not at first).

I'm hoping to make it a more living sample, updating it while I code.

And the downside is that is that it's based on my interpretation of the SDK. Just being a hobby-developer might cause me to make mistakes. Hopefully others will find them and correct me.

Together I'm sure we can make a good sample plugin.
    HSPro 3.0.0.458, Z-NET with Z-wave plugin 3.0.1.190, RFXCOM + 2x RFXtrx433E, HSTouch, Squeezebox plugin, iTach IP/WF2IR & GC-100-6 with UltraGCIR, BLDenon, NetcamStudio, Jon00s Webpage builder, Harmony Hub plugin, SCSIP (with FreePBX), Arduino plugin, IFTTT, Pushalot plugin, Device History plugin.
    Running on Windows 10 (64) virtualized
    on ESXi (Fujitsu Primergy TX150 S8).
    WinSeer (for Win10) - TextSeer - FitbitSeer - HSPI_MoskusSample

Are you Norwegian (or Scandinavian) and getting started with HomeSeer? Read the "HomeSeer School"!

Comment

Originally posted by Moskus View Post
      ... and the plugin samples are storing custom classes...

Did changing type solve your problem?
      Below is what I ended up with, It's basically right out of the sample_plugin. If someone can point me to a sample using an object I'd be appreciative.

Code:
       'set the EDO for device amp1
                          Dim EDO As New HomeSeerAPI.clsPlugExtraData
                          dv.PlugExtraData_Set(hs) = EDO
                          Dim HW As String = "a1"
                          If EDO.GetNamed("My Device Object") IsNot Nothing Then
                              EDO.RemoveNamed("My Device Object")
                          End If
                          EDO.AddNamed("My Device Object", HW)
                          ' Need to re-save it.
                          hs.SaveEventsDevices()
      As soon as I make HW an object or enum the plugin cant send EDO back to homeseer. I'm writing my plugin by connecting from one windows machine to my homeseer windows machine remotely. Maybe it would behave differently if the plugin were running locally.

The good news is I now have a partially functioning plugin for my monoprice 6 zone amplifier. Truth be told I never thought I'd make it this far. The only thing left is triggers and a lot of typing to add the rest of my functionality.
      https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/de...plifier-plugin

Comment

Originally posted by happnatious1 View Post
        Below is what I ended up with, It's basically right out of the sample_plugin. If someone can point me to a sample using an object I'd be appreciative.

Code:
                            Dim HW As String = "a1"
                            End If
                            EDO.AddNamed("My Device Object", HW)
                            ' Need to re-save it.
                            hs.SaveEventsDevices()
        As soon as I make HW an object or enum the plugin cant send EDO back to homeseer. I'm writing my plugin by connecting from one windows machine to my homeseer windows machine remotely. Maybe it would behave differently if the plugin were running locally.

The good news is I now have a partially functioning plugin for my monoprice 6 zone amplifier. Truth be told I never thought I'd make it this far. The only thing left is triggers and a lot of typing to add the rest of my functionality.
        This is what I did but no idea whether or not it is the correct approach, it works though.

Code:
        Select Case k
                            Case 1 To 4
                                With EDO
                                    .AddNamed("enAPIDirection", CObj("Consumed"))
                                    .AddNamed("enAPIDevice", CObj("Meter_Service"))
                                    .AddNamed("enAPILog", CObj("True"))
                                End With
                                'use this opportunity to do some Energy API work
                                hs.Energy_SetEnergyDevice(dv.Ref(hs), enumEnergyDevice.Meter_Service)
                        End Select

Comment

This is a problem with the SDK and plugin development in general, and with PlugExtraData specific. The more people you ask, the more options you get...

I just have to sort out some SubTriggers, and I'll revisit the PlugExtraData issue as I've been meaing to look into it again. (I don't fully understand it, and that club is getting bigger every day it seems).
          HSPro 3.0.0.458, Z-NET with Z-wave plugin 3.0.1.190, RFXCOM + 2x RFXtrx433E, HSTouch, Squeezebox plugin, iTach IP/WF2IR & GC-100-6 with UltraGCIR, BLDenon, NetcamStudio, Jon00s Webpage builder, Harmony Hub plugin, SCSIP (with FreePBX), Arduino plugin, IFTTT, Pushalot plugin, Device History plugin.

Are you Norwegian (or Scandinavian) and getting started with HomeSeer? Read the "HomeSeer School"!

Comment

I don't think the CObj is necessary in your case, you could probably remove it and it would still work. (maybe). but you did get me thinking, since it's being sent to homeseer over HSCF maybe a complex object needs to be serialized.

This appears to work.

Code:
                                'Dim HW As String = "a1"
                                Dim HW As New MyDeviceData()
                                HW.mydevice = MyDeviceData.mydevices.Amp1
                                Dim bteArray() As Byte = Nothing
                                If Not SerializeObject(HW, bteArray) Then Throw New Exception("Not able to Serialize myaction data in actionbuildui.")

'Dim Ret As New IPlugInAPI.strMultiReturn
                                'Ret.sResult = ""                ' Empty return indicates success!
                                'Ret.TrigActInfo = ActInfoIN    ' Trig info does not change, just pass through what we received...
                                ' Ret.DataOut = bteArray
                                End If
                                EDO.AddNamed("My Device Object", bteArray)
                                ' Need to re-save it.
                                hs.SaveEventsDevices()
            Originally posted by mrhappy View Post
            This is what I did but no idea whether or not it is the correct approach, it works though.

Code:
            Select Case k
                                Case 1 To 4
                                    With EDO
                                        .AddNamed("enAPIDirection", CObj("Consumed"))
                                        .AddNamed("enAPIDevice", CObj("Meter_Service"))
                                        .AddNamed("enAPILog", CObj("True"))
                                    End With
                                    'use this opportunity to do some Energy API work
                                    hs.Energy_SetEnergyDevice(dv.Ref(hs), enumEnergyDevice.Meter_Service)
                            End Select

https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/de...plifier-plugin

Comment

The other sample plugin has two "helper" procedures which I find useful. Note that they also "remove" the current object before adding it to ensure it's replaced and not added to all the time. These could easily be modified for unnamed objects too.

Code:
              Sub PEDAdd(ByRef PED As clsPlugExtraData, ByVal PEDName As String, ByVal PEDValue As Object)
                      Dim ByteObject() As Byte = Nothing
                      If PED Is Nothing Then PED = New clsPlugExtraData
                      SerializeObject(PEDValue, ByteObject)
                      If Not PED.AddNamed(PEDName, ByteObject) Then
                          PED.RemoveNamed(PEDName)
                          PED.AddNamed(PEDName, ByteObject)
                      End If
                  End Sub

Function PEDGet(ByRef PED As clsPlugExtraData, ByVal PEDName As String) As Object
                      Dim ByteObject() As Byte
                      Dim ReturnValue As New Object
                      ByteObject = PED.GetNamed(PEDName)
                      If ByteObject Is Nothing Then Return Nothing
                      DeSerializeObject(ByteObject, ReturnValue)
                      Return ReturnValue
              End Function
              These two rely on these other helper functions:

Code:
               Public Function SerializeObject(ByRef ObjIn As Object, ByRef bteOut() As Byte) As Boolean
                      If ObjIn Is Nothing Then Return False
                      Dim str As New MemoryStream
                      Dim sf As New Binary.BinaryFormatter

Try
                          sf.Serialize(str, ObjIn)
                          ReDim bteOut(CInt(str.Length - 1))
                          bteOut = str.ToArray
                          Return True
                      Catch ex As Exception
                          Log.Error(IFACE_NAME + " Error: Serializing object " + ObjIn.ToString + " :" + ex.Message, ex)
                          Return False
                      End Try

End Function

Public Function DeSerializeObject(ByRef bteIn() As Byte, ByRef ObjOut As Object) As Boolean
                      ' Almost immediately there is a test to see if ObjOut is NOTHING.  The reason for this
                      '   when the ObjOut is suppose to be where the deserialized object is stored, is that 
                      '   I could find no way to test to see if the deserialized object and the variable to 
                      '   hold it was of the same type.  If you try to get the type of a null object, you get
                      '   only a null reference exception!  If I do not test the object type beforehand and 
                      '   there is a difference, then the InvalidCastException is thrown back in the CALLING
                      '   procedure, not here, because the cast is made when the ByRef object is cast when this
                      '   procedure returns, not earlier.  In order to prevent a cast exception in the calling
                      '   procedure that may or may not be handled, I made it so that you have to at least 
                      '   provide an initialized ObjOut when you call this - ObjOut is set to nothing after it 
                      '   is typed.
                      If bteIn Is Nothing Then Return False
                      If bteIn.Length < 1 Then Return False
                      If ObjOut Is Nothing Then Return False
                      Dim str As MemoryStream
                      Dim sf As New Binary.BinaryFormatter
                      Dim ObjTest As Object
                      Dim TType As System.Type
                      Dim OType As System.Type
                      Try
                          OType = ObjOut.GetType
                          ObjOut = Nothing
                          str = New MemoryStream(bteIn)
                          ObjTest = sf.Deserialize(str)
                          If ObjTest Is Nothing Then Return False
                          TType = ObjTest.GetType
                          'If Not TType.Equals(OType) Then Return False
                          ObjOut = ObjTest
                          If ObjOut Is Nothing Then Return False
                          Return True
                      Catch exIC As InvalidCastException
                          Return False
                      Catch ex As Exception
                          Log.Error(IFACE_NAME + " Error: DeSerializing object: " + ex.Message, ex)
                          Return False
                      End Try
                  End Function
              This is heady stuff for me, managing serialization of objects across interfaces is out of my hobbyist-coding wheelhouse. To be honest, it's something I would have expected HST to abstract a little further from the developer in the API, but perhaps that's not possible?
              Author of Highpeak Plugins | SMS-Gateway Plugin | Blue Iris Plugin | Paradox (Beta) Plugin | Modbus Plugin | Yamaha Plugin

Comment

Originally posted by beerygaz View Post
                The other sample plugin has two "helper" procedures which I find useful. Note that they also "remove" the current object before adding it to ensure it's replaced and not added to all the time. These could easily be modified for unnamed objects too.
                Yeah, I've been meaning to ask about that.
                Why are they serializing it before adding? Shouldn't the class handle that itself?

Comment

Hi Moskus, I'm keen to see your simplified base plugin as I have several HS2 plugins of my own to port across.

I thought I was a pretty reasonable hobby programmer but the new SDK and sample projects scare me. They seem really convoluted, there is an awful lot of glue code to tie all of the classes together and I would have though that could be abstracted away in the SDK rather than being reproduced in every plugin.

Anything that simplifies them will be a huge help.

Comment

Any updates regarding the re-worked sample plugins?

Comment

If you are talking about mine, then:
                      "Very soon", I hope. I've just discovered some parts I want to rewrite, but it is soon ready for first release.

Comment

Sorry Moskus, I couldn't wait any longer and ended up make my own barebones C# sample plugin. It really only addresses instantiating and connecting the plugin to Homeseer HS3, but it is far simpler (and I hope more sensible) than the official samples.

Thread here: http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=178122

Comment

Mine has been available for a while, but not in C#.
                          http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=177339

Comment

Failed Getting InterfaceStatus

I compiled the samples without changing any code and then copy the executable to the HS3 folder. When I restart HS3 and go to the plugin manager I get the following warnings for the two samples I installed:

WARNING: Failed getting InterfaceStatus from Sample Plugin - the interface was not found in the list of active interfaces, the list may need to be refreshed.

What causes this and how do I avoid that.

Also the Sample-BasicMI under "Instance" shows "See plug-in config" but the plugin has not configuration website (the plug-in name is not an URL and the plug-in is not listed under the menu "PLUG-INS").

Comment

Working...
                            X