Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do I need to add Insteon to my HS2 system?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do I need to add Insteon to my HS2 system?

Hello,

Forgive the silly question, but I'm confused on what I need to add to my Homeseer 2 system to control Insteon devices. Does the Powerlinc V2 controller also work for my x-10 devices or do I need it and the 1132U that sends commans from the PC?

Any help -or- pointing me toward a beginners guide would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Yes, the V2 Powerlinc does both X10 and Insteon. However, some have discovered that the V2 is a weak X10 transeiver and wound up using both controllers anyway.

I use only the V2 for both X10 and Insteon without any problems. My X10 system is minimal now as I have changed almost everything over to Insteon.

You will just have to try it in your own environment.

Jim H.

Comment

Finally, an answer to my question!

I looked high and low for an answer to this very basic question, finally found it. Funny how SmartHome makes a big deal about how Insteon is backwards-compatible with X-10 in almost all of its other literature, but doesn't specify it in the docs for the PowerLinc v2, or in its FAQs, or its Knowledge Base, or anything else.

So now, I can disconnect my old PowerLinc and substitute this new v2. BUT...is there a specific procedure for telling HomeSeer that I'm doing that? Do I plug in the new one first, let it be discovered, then unplug the old one, disable it in HS....what order should this be done in?

Comment

Plug in the V2, let it be discovered, go into HS Interfaces page, Disable old X10 controller, Enable new X10 controller, and Save. If all is working to your satisfaction, unplug old controller.

Comment

10-4. Muchas Garcias.

Comment

The new V2 controller uses the Insteon plugin. The older 1132u version used the Powerlinc plugin. Also be aware that most have found that the newer Insteon controller doesn't do X10 very well at all.
            💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
              The new V2 controller uses the Insteon plugin. The older 1132u version used the Powerlinc plugin. Also be aware that most have found that the newer Insteon controller doesn't do X10 very well at all.
              That's OK, neither did my 1132u. (Probably due to all the phantom noise, transients and spikes I have on my powerline, which is why I'm migrating to Insteon.)

Comment

I just got my insteon starter kit and thought it would be good to leverage this thread's topic to add my questions. I, too, have lots of x10 and am now about to use insteon. My questions are:

1. [The question answered well above in this thread]
                2. Is it technically possible that the insteon signal extenders also add reliability to my x-10 devices? If they act as X-10 repeaters that use the airwaves as well as the powerline, it seems to me that this would be a natural outcome.

It would also be useful if the basic steps to updating HS were in this thread. I think they are:

1. Install the hardware like the instructions on the starter kit say
                2. Use the updater to install the Insteon plug-in
                ...?
                3. Add/update your devices
                ...?

Thanks,

Joe

Comment

2. No, the signalincs repeat Insteon signals only.

Comment

Excellent!

Glad I finally found this thread...

I think you all have pushed me over the edge... to go with a starter package / or interface and some switches.

X10 has been reliable, but this does sound more solid...

I'll be back with lots of questions, no doubt!

This should be a sticky, or groomed to be a sticky for us speed readers that overlook critical threads like this.

Thanks for the help!

Comment

Working...
                    X