This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stopped working...

I am having problems with the Homeseer plug-in recognizing the sensor(s). I have tried two different sensors, my old by APC BioPod and a new Zvetco P4000-WP. I cannot get the plug-in to recognize either sensor. This problem started while using v1.3 of the plug-in so I upgraded to 1.4 and deleted all the previous fingerprint samples. However, it did not change this problem any. The driver (flmckusb.sys) is version 5.00.2036, dated 1/13/2005.

This problem started about a week ago. Everything had been working fine with the BioPod Reader for over two years. It then suddenly stopped reading fingerprints. The only changes that I have made to the machine are the monthly Microsoft updates. However, the BioPod Reader did work for well over a week after installing the latest updates and rebooting. I tried removing the reader from the door/extender and connected it directly to (various) USB ports both on the side and in the rear of the PC. Same problem. The driver would seem to recognize the reader when I plugged it in. (The USB bubble would pop up and display the AuthenTec AES4000 notice when the reader was inserted in the USB port.) Even tried going through 2 different powered USB Hubs. When I go into the plug-in configuration nothing shows in the sensor dropdown box. Same for both sensors. On startup I get the normal plug-in messages:

7/7/2008 1:52:59 PM ~!~Info~!~Found plug-in: FingerPrint Reader, version: 1.4.2448.16628
    7/7/2008 1:53:18 PM ~!~Info~!~Initializing Plug-in: FingerPrint Reader
    7/7/2008 1:53:19 PM ~!~Info~!~Finished initializing plug-in FingerPrint Reader

Is there any further trouble shooting I can do? Is there a later AuthenTec driver available? Any other suggestions?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Kbevo; January 10, 2009, 02:38 PM.

What version of HomeSeer are you using?

Just to make sure - have you tried rebooting your computer?

Plugging directly into the computer was a good test. We'll play around here and see if we can come up with some other ideas...

Comment

Originally posted by LuxuryControl View Post
      What version of HomeSeer are you using?
      HomeSeer Version: Standard Edition 2.2.0.66
      Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Professional - Work Station
      OS Version: 5.1.2600 Service Pack: 3.0
      System Uptime: 0 Days 17 Hours 57 Minutes 34 Seconds

Just to make sure - have you tried rebooting your computer?
      Yes, several times.

If it were not for the fact that all my other USB devices seem to work fine, I would think it has something to do with my Motherboard's USB HW/SW support (Asus A8N5X). I just can't figure out how it could be the USB system support when two different devices associated with the same driver/dll are the only thing not working. I looked for and could not find a way to trace or debug USB activity. If you have any cost effective suggestions, please let me know.

Thanks for your help.
      Gary

Comment

Try just moving the plugs to different slots (as in different SET of slots).

So, if you have a few devices that are working, try swapping those devices and the fingerprint readers.

--Dan
        Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.

Comment

Originally posted by drozwood90 View Post
          Try just moving the plugs to different slots (as in different SET of slots).

So, if you have a few devices that are working, try swapping those devices and the fingerprint readers.

--Dan
          Thanks for the thought Dan. Yeah I tried all that. Previously, when it was working, I was going through a USB 1.1 powered hub. When the reader quit working, I replaced the hub with a 2.0 powered hub. One of the test variations I tried was to move my RFXCOM from a rear port to the USB hub and the reader(s) to the rear port vacated by the RFXCOM. The RFXCOM works fine, but the readers are not being detected. That configuration is the way it is now. Its really odd since the OS USB support recognizes when I remove and/or plug-in the reader(s). Just doesn't show in the reader config.

Gary

Comment

Sample log from our system:
            7/9/2008 9:04:17 PM - Info - Initializing Plug-in: FingerPrint Reader
            7/9/2008 9:04:22 PM - Database Item - Saving Device sensor2
            7/9/2008 9:04:24 PM - Info - Finished initializing plug-in FingerPrint Reader

See the attached pdf for additional things to check.
            Attached Files

Comment

In your log the start and end of the plug-in initialization is shown but the device being saved is missing. Is that Correct?
              Correct! Specifically:
              7/9/2008 11:45:55 AM ~!~Info~!~Found plug-in: FingerPrint Reader, version: 1.4.2448.16628
              7/9/2008 11:46:12 AM ~!~Info~!~Initializing Plug-in: FingerPrint Reader
              7/9/2008 11:46:12 AM ~!~Info~!~Finished initializing plug-in FingerPrint Reader

The last two have the same time stamp with no Database item in between. I went back to an old log initialization, when the reader was working properly.

6/10/2008 12:03:45 PM ~!~Info~!~Initializing Plug-in: FingerPrint Reader
              6/10/2008 12:03:45 PM ~!~Database Item~!~Saving Device GarageDoor
              6/10/2008 12:03:47 PM ~!~Error~!~Initializing interface: FingerPrint Reader->Public member 'link' on type 'application' not found.
              6/10/2008 12:03:47 PM ~!~Info~!~Finished initializing plug-in FingerPrint Reader

The Database Item was being logged as shown. I had also been getting the error initializing the interface. That error had been occurring for months. I had attributed it to possibly a missing HTML image or something associated with the web interface. In any case, the reader and config had worked fine until recently but perhaps that error is in fact related to my root cause. I apologize for not mentioning this error sooner. Perhaps this gives you some other ideas. In the mean time, I will review the PDF and get back to you.

Thanks
              Gary

Comment

Fixed! Thanks...

See the attached pdf for additional things to check.
                OK, that fixed it. I went into the ATSensorWizard.exe program. It could add the P4000 sensor (didn't try the BioPod). Once I did that, the HS config then recognized it, and I could then add users fingerprints Thanks much for the help. I guess I should have went back to the help, and the ATSensorWizard much sooner and I could have saved time and your trouble. I don't recall using the ATSensorWizard before, but perhaps I did. I forget most things anymore it seems.

One question about the Users Guide HTML display. On my system, when I click on the "Online Help" link in the HS config page, it brings up the guide without the images displayed. When I navigate to the folder where the HTML guide is stored ("C:\Program Files\HomeSeer 2\HTML\Help\FingerprintReader\FingerprintReaderUserGuide.htm ") and double click that file the images show fine. Also in the FP config page, the "Reader Configuration" link shows the general HS Help Resources page and does not seem to have anything regarding FP reader configuration. Is it just me or is it supposed to work this way?

Thanks
                Gary

(Screen shots of the help pages I'm seeing are attached)
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Kbevo; July 11, 2008, 11:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kbevo View Post
                  ...it brings up the guide without the images displayed....
                  Now that we have upgraded to the latest HomeSeer, we have the same issue.

The "reader configuration" link used to launch the ATSensorWizard.exe and the "online help" used to have the images displayed.

It looks like one of the HomeSeer updates was not backwards compatable.

That means it is time for a new release of the fingerprint reader plug-in...

Very glad to see your system is up and running again!

Comment

That means it is time for a new release of the fingerprint reader plug-in...
                    Will there also be an update to the AuthenTec driver?

Thanks
                    Gary

Comment

No driver updates at this time. Last time we tried that more issues were introduced than were fixed. If we are able to obtain a new driver version and it proves stable for a period of time another release will follow. This release will fix the online help and the link to the sensor setup wizard.

Comment

Working...
                      X