X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DSC Panel Recommendations

Hi Folks,

Long time, no chat!

I am helping to set up my son with a security system that integrates with HomeSeer - fell into a weird situation - so I need some help in selecting a DSC panel. Spud's plug-in looks pretty good reading through some of the posts (at least I like that he is very responsive!) so I believe that a DSC panel with the EnvisaLink is the way to go.

However, I was able to get him a Qolsys IQ2 panel with the promise from somebody that they could get an Alarm.com account and a monitoring account. After bugging and waiting a long time, I am giving up on my 'friend' on the two accounts. I could get them through other means, but I have also come to realize that there is no integration capabilities - not even through Z-Wave - and that is a huge deal breaker for me. (If you want to know why, read here: https://tinkertoy.tech/2017-10/17/wh...eroperability/)

What I am trying to do is keep all of the existing wireless sensors that I installed or purchased, which is pretty much every zone in the system. I cannot run wires, and the wireless sensors are all S-LINE 319.5MHz which means they are GE Interlogix compatible - and that means it will work with DSC.

So the bottom line is that I am looking for a recommendation on a DSC panel, with only 1 keypad, works with EnvisaLink, and can handle around 16 wireless sensors. If the wireless receiver can only do 16 (or it is limited by the panel) then point that out and I *may* go to the next higher level if the cost increase is not too bad.

Thanks in advance for the ideas!
    Regards,

Rick Tinker (a.k.a. "Tink")

You requirements either Power Series 1816, 32 or 64. I always recommend one higher then your initial requirements to allow for growth thus look at 1832.

I gather you will be using a
    Resolution Wireless Take Over Translator DSC to GE

Comment

Hi Rick.

The DSC PC1864 will accommodate 64 zones total, mixed wired and wireless. However I was unaware that DSC supported 319.5mhz. My DSC RF only supports 433 and 868mhz.

I have a PC1864 and an RFK5500 keypad. The keypad is the 433/868mhz receiver and can accommodate up to 64 wireless zones, though the total for wired+wireless remains at 64. It works well with the Envisalink EVL-3/4 and Spud's plug-in. It also can be monitored by Alarm.com and Eyez-on.

The PC1832 is the next model down and supports a total of 32 zones and I *think* that is combined wired and wireless.
      HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Originally posted by brientim View Post
        You requirements either Power Series 1816, 32 or 64. I always recommend one higher then your initial requirements to allow for growth thus look at 1832.

I gather you will be using a
        Resolution Wireless Take Over Translator DSC to GE
        Oh crap! No, I was told that GE Interlogix was compatible - I guess not! So DSC is incompatible with the wireless sensors I have?
        Regards,

Comment

I think this caused my confusion...

No, the Qolsys IQ Panel uses GE wireless sensors, 319.5MHZ, like the QS1115-840 mini sensors.

The DSC Touch is a DSC RF sensor radio version of the IQ Panel, using 433MHZ.
          Regards,

Comment

DSC Panel Recommendations

The term compatible is subjective to how it is presented and potentially with assumed knowledge or expectations that you knew more about this subject...

Yes, they are completely compatible using wireless to wireless translation. The same topic was raised on the Vera forum a number of years ago (circa 2014) as there is inherent 6 seconds delays with DSC wireless motion sensors that the action causing the motion sensor to trigger must be present which in context of HA triggering and event is an inordinate timeframe.

Therefore other motion sensor brands were discussed which lead to looking at the wireless translator which were reported as successfully implemented.

See link
            http://www.resolutionproducts.com/fi...Translator.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by brientim View Post
              The term compatible is subjective to how it is presented and potentially with assumed knowledge or expectations that you knew more about this subject...

Yes, they are completely compatible using wireless to wireless translation. The same topic was raised on the Vera forum a number of years ago (circa 2014) as there is inherent 6 seconds delays with DSC wireless motion sensors that the action causing the motion sensor to trigger must be present which in context of HA triggering and event is an inordinate timeframe.

Therefore other motion sensor brands were discussed which lead to looking at the wireless translator which were reported as successfully implemented.

See link
              http://www.resolutionproducts.com/fi...Translator.pdf
              That is interesting. It looks like the device has been replaced with the RE524X, which will handle GE to DSC wireless translation. $99 at Amazon.
              HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Just had a quick look at Amazon $65 and rather than brand specific translation, this provides greater scope and compatibility.

Comment

OK - I guess I gotta duck out of this thread... The Translators do not do life saving devices such as Smoke and CO detectors, and that is more cared about than burglary! Guess I gotta look at the Vista panels...
                  Regards,

Comment

Nice to see you Tink!!!

[ATTACH]63975[/ATTACH]

You could get your son a Leviton Omni alarm panel.

We miss you here...
                    - Pete

Auto mator
                    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
                      Nice to see you Tink!!!
                      Hey Pete - you too!

You could get your son a Leviton Omni alarm panel.
                      No, I like my son too much. ;-) Not going Elk M1 (which I use) either as he only needs security, not security and a ton of other features he will never use.

We miss you here...
                      I wish I had more time to spend here too... HomeSeer STILL rocks!
                      Regards,

Comment

Working...
                      X