This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using a Digital (still) Camera as a security camera

I have 2 surveillance cameras connected to a cheap 4 channel video input board and using webcamXP on my Homeseer computer. The system works well but the motion detection feature of webcamXP is unpredictable. Sometimes it captures hundreds of images when there is no motion but misses someone walking directly in front of the camera. So I have been working to get webcamXP/Homeseer to capture images when my X10 motion detectors are triggered. While playing with an old 3.2 MP digital camera (it has video out) I made an interesting discovery. My camera (and I think almost all cameras) will auto shut off after 1-2 minutes. This makes it impossible to use it as a web cam. But I discovered that this behavior makes it perfect for capturing a short video (or stills). When the camera is connected to an external power adapter, and the internal batteries are removed. It will automatically power up when the 120V power adapter is plugged in. When connected to webcamXP, powering up the camera causes the motion detector to trigger motion capture.

So my plan is to connect the power adapter to an X10 appliance module (I will probably need to modify it to disable current sensing) and then use Homeseer to turn it ON/OFF based on an x10 motion sensor near the camera.

Steve Q
    HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
    2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit
Working...
X