This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Duplicate DS10's and can't change security codes

I have the AC-RF2 plugin, and all has been working great.

I changed the batteries in one of them and now I have two sensors on my system with the the same securtity code.

I have tried holding down the button on the DS10a to generate a new code, but it does not, I am always stuck with the same code.

Any idea how I can force a new security number for a device. ??? I've tried everything and I'm pulling my hair out now

It can take several tries sometimes and is annoying. ACRF will grab the first code it sees when you request a new one. If another DS10 transmits between the time you request a code and then press the button, it'll be a duplicate. The only thing to do is pull the batteries from the problem devices, then reinstall one and code it. Then try to install the second. If you get a different & new code for each, you probably have been successful. The other possibility is that the DS10 isn't actually being received at all, in which case you'll get the last code received as well.
    I usually have to take my laptop to the DS10 (or vice versa) for best results.
    Perhaps Jon or someone else may have better advice.
    Real courage is not securing your Wi-Fi network.

Comment

I've had this happen to me on several occasions. It is really maddening. I'm not sure if it's a problem with the DS10 or the ACRF plug-in. I've found that leaving the batteries out for a while (I usually wait at least 30 min, but often over night.) will reliably force the device to generate a new code.
      Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
      HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

The ACRF2 plug-in will not grab an existing registered code when using the "change code" option. Therefore it will ignore all the other devices in your system. Only ones not registered will be displayed. Different X10 devices remember their code for different amounts of time. Most of the X10 security devices require a specific sequence to force a code reset. It is:

Press and hold the button for several seconds. Let it go for less than one second. Press and let go again immediately. For all devices I have this will force a code reset.

This will also transmit the new code to the plug-in so the plug-in will see it.

Jon

Originally posted by Uncle Michael View Post
        I've had this happen to me on several occasions. It is really maddening. I'm not sure if it's a problem with the DS10 or the ACRF plug-in. I've found that leaving the batteries out for a while (I usually wait at least 30 min, but often over night.) will reliably force the device to generate a new code.
        Jon Ort
        JonOrt@The--Orts.com
        (Remove the dashes in the address, spam is getting out of hand)

Comment

I will try the detailed sequence more carefully next time. I thought I had used that in every instance where I've had a problem, but perhaps I didn't get the timing correct.

The problem is very infrequent, but these are the symptoms as best I can recall:
          I find I have a DS10 that is no longer being detected reliably. Usually ACRF2 is reporting a weak battery.
          I replace the batteries and press the test button briefly to confirm the address has not changed. (Usually it hasn't and I'm done. Sometimes it has and I have to be sync the plug-in with it.)
          When there is a problem, instead of the expected response, ACRF2 responds as if a different DS10 has been activated.
          From that point on, the two DS10s generate identical responses in the plug-in.
          Pressing and holding the test button doesn't seem to force a new code, only waiting without power works reliably.

As I said, maybe my timing has not been quite right. In particular, I may be waiting too long before pressing the test button a second time. I'll definitely pay more attention to that the next time the problem occurs.
          Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
          HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

The battery/code issue with the security devices is a real pain and I've tried to do everything within the plug-in possible to reduce the pain level. If there are any other suggestions as to how this might be made easier I'm willing to change things.

Jon

Originally posted by Uncle Michael View Post
            I will try the detailed sequence more carefully next time. I thought I had used that in every instance where I've had a problem, but perhaps I didn't get the timing correct.

The problem is very infrequent, but these are the symptoms as best I can recall:
            I find I have a DS10 that is no longer being detected reliably. Usually ACRF2 is reporting a weak battery.
            I replace the batteries and press the test button briefly to confirm the address has not changed. (Usually it hasn't and I'm done. Sometimes it has and I have to be sync the plug-in with it.)
            When there is a problem, instead of the expected response, ACRF2 responds as if a different DS10 has been activated.
            From that point on, the two DS10s generate identical responses in the plug-in.
            Pressing and holding the test button doesn't seem to force a new code, only waiting without power works reliably.

As I said, maybe my timing has not been quite right. In particular, I may be waiting too long before pressing the test button a second time. I'll definitely pay more attention to that the next time the problem occurs.
            Jon Ort
            JonOrt@The--Orts.com
            (Remove the dashes in the address, spam is getting out of hand)

Comment

Originally posted by Oman View Post
              The battery/code issue with the security devices is a real pain and I've tried to do everything within the plug-in possible to reduce the pain level. If there are any other suggestions as to how this might be made easier I'm willing to change things.

Jon
              Maybe if nothing else just have those instructions pop up on the webpage while they are resetting the device.

~Bill

Comment

Hiya Jon, Good to see you!
                Over The Hill
                What Hill?
                Where?
                When?
                I Don't Remember Any Hill

Virtualized Server 2k3 Ent X86 Guest on VMWare ESXi 4.1 with 3 SunRay thin clients as access points - HSPro 2.4.0.48 - ZTroller - ACRF2 (3 WGL 800's) - iAutomate RFID - Ledam - MLHSPlugin - Ultra1wire - RainRelay8 - TI103 - Ultramon - WAF-AB8SS - jvESS (11 zones) - Bitwise Controls BC4 - with 745 Total Devices - 550 Events - 104 scripts - 78 ZWave devices - 42 X10 devices - 76 DS10a's 3 RFXSenors and 32 Motion Sensors

Comment

Jon,
                  Re post 2 & 4: I gladly stand corrected. Thanks for clearing that up.
                  I'd been putting off replacing the battery in one DS10 reporting low batt., just to put off the pain. I'll do it today.
                  Real courage is not securing your Wi-Fi network.

Comment

Working...
                  X