Problem with some switches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem with some switches

I have 2 switches that have recently started giving problems. These switches are being controlled by homeseer true the ISY as well as by a 8 button kepad. I have these switches come on true HS events. They were originally program to turn on the button on the 8 button keypad which turns on several other switches. Recently when the event is triggered it turn on the button on the keypad and all the associated light expect 2. I thought I had bad switches. The strange thing is if I trigger the scene manual at the keypad those switches will come on every time but true HS most time will not turn on. HS events that turn of those lights works 100% of the time true HS. This morning I checked and had this in the log. Any ideas? The switches appear to work fine locally but not true HS.

HTML Code:
    ISYInsteonProcessCommand : ISY network communication failure: missed status report for device Hall. (F 4 43 1)

Keep in mind that the plug-in/HS is just acting as bridge and that it is not able to directly control the device.

It's not clear from what you wrote how you have configured the HS events. There are two ways you can have an event effect multiple devices.

1) Create a scene on the ISY and trigger that scene from the event. In this case, any issues with devices responding is simply Insteon communication problems. The ISY will send out a broadcast that should be picked up by all the devices in the scene. There's nothing the plug-in can do to help that.

2) Have the HS event trigger each device individually. This may be more or less reliable than a scene. Sending multiple commands out to multiple devices at basically the same time can cause collisions and missed events with the Insteon protocol. Adding delays between the commands can help, but may not be the effect that you want (lights going on/off in a sequence instead of all at the same time).

Given that you have a keypad button doing the same thing, I'm guessing you're using a scene.

I've had Insteon devices slowly fail. In fact I have one switch now that takes multiple presses of a mini-remote button before it will respond, usually when trying to turn it off.

It's also possible that some new device is now partially blocking or sucking the signal from the PLM but not the keypad.

Originally posted by freeon View Post
    I have 2 switches that have recently started giving problems. These switches are being controlled by homeseer true the ISY as well as by a 8 button kepad. I have these switches come on true HS events. They were originally program to turn on the button on the 8 button keypad which turns on several other switches. Recently when the event is triggered it turn on the button on the keypad and all the associated light expect 2. I thought I had bad switches. The strange thing is if I trigger the scene manual at the keypad those switches will come on every time but true HS most time will not turn on. HS events that turn of those lights works 100% of the time true HS. This morning I checked and had this in the log. Any ideas? The switches appear to work fine locally but not true HS.

HTML Code:
    ISYInsteonProcessCommand : ISY network communication failure: missed status report for device Hall. (F 4 43 1)
    The log message means that the plug-in sent a command to the ISY to control that device and expected the ISY to send back a status update for the device, but that update was never received.
    --
    Bob Paauwe
    ISYInsteon Plug-in
    http://www.bobsplace.com/ISYInsteon/

Comment

I have a seen created in ISY with keypad B as the controller. I have the HS event set up to turn on keypad B which turns on multiple other switches. What I find strange is that if I turn on keypad B manually all associated switches will turn on every time. When I have HS turn on Keypad B 1 of the switches sometimes 2(but always the same 2) don't turn on. When I started having this problem I added individual commands to the HS event to turn on those 2 switches so that if keypad B didn't turn they would get a second signal but doesn't work either. And stranger still is the fact that off event always work. But perhaps it's like so say they are only partially failing. If there is something sucking the signal from the PLM would switches further away from the PLM be worst. I have switches furter away that have not been affected at all.

Comment

I have a seen created in ISY with keypad B as the controller.
        This makes sense.

I have the HS event set up to turn on keypad B which turns on multiple other switches.
        This doesn't make sense. Keypads (or any Insteon switch for that matter can't be remotely triggered to activate scenes.

All you should be able to do to Keypad B from HS is turn the keypad B light on/off. The keypad is only a responder in this case, it is only a controller when you physically press the button.

You should have your HS event call the same ISY scene.

What I find strange is that if I turn on keypad B manually all associated switches will turn on every time. When I have HS turn on Keypad B 1 of the switches sometimes 2(but always the same 2) don't turn on.
        I find this very strange as well, based on your description of what you've done, it should never turn on or off the other switches.

It sounds like you really do have the HS event trigger the scene. What happens if you turn the scene on/off from the ISY admin console?

When I started having this problem I added individual commands to the HS event to turn on those 2 switches so that if keypad B didn't turn they would get a second signal but doesn't work either.
        What happens if you try to control those switches form the ISY admin console?

In this case, if the original command is actually a scene command, you would probably need a delay before the individual commands because the individual commands could get interference from the scene command if they both are sending signals at the same time.

If there is something sucking the signal from the PLM would switches further away from the PLM be worst. I have switches furter away that have not been affected at all.
        Physical distance doesn't always matter. For power line signals they could be on different circuits or even different legs which means the electrical distance is much greater than the physical distance (i.e. the signal needs to go to the panel and then back to the device).

For dual band, the RF signal could be blocked by many things or get interference from other things that generate RF.

One possible sign of a failing PLM is that the signal strength starts to weaken and it will start to have more problems communicating. This can be a gradual type of failure.
        --
        Bob Paauwe
        ISYInsteon Plug-in

Comment

Originally posted by bpwwer View Post

This doesn't make sense. Keypads (or any Insteon switch for that matter can't be remotely triggered to activate scenes.

All you should be able to do to Keypad B from HS is turn the keypad B light on/off. The keypad is only a responder in this case, it is only a controller when you physically press the button.

You should have your HS event call the same ISY scene.

I find this very strange as well, based on your description of what you've done, it should never turn on or off the other switches.

It sounds like you really do have the HS event trigger the scene. What happens if you turn the scene on/off from the ISY admin console?
          I have multiple events set up this way. HS sends on to keypad B. Keypad B is setup in ISY to turn on other switches when it comes on itself.

What happens if you try to control those switches form the ISY admin console?
          I just logged on the ISY console and it showed a communication error for that switch and couldn't control it. After a few minutes the error disappeared and was able to control it again. So obviously the problem is not with HS or your plugin . How can I tell if the issue is with the switch, ISY or the PLM

Comment

I just logged on the ISY console and it showed a communication error for that switch and couldn't control it. After a few minutes the error disappeared and was able to control it again. So obviously the problem is not with HS or your plugin . How can I tell if the issue is with the switch, ISY or the PLM
            Most likely, it's not the ISY. It could be communication issues between the switch and the PLM. If it was a PLM problem, you'd probably see other issues as well. Probably the easiest way is to replace the switch. If the problem happens with a new switch, then something is interfering with communications, if it works fine with new switch, old switch is probably going bad.
            --
            Bob Paauwe
            ISYInsteon Plug-in

Comment

Working...
            X