Firmware update in hex

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Firmware update in hex

Greetings. I would like to update my dimmers with the latest firmware, but I don't run HomeSeer software. My controllers require .bin or .hex file formats to run the firmware updates for devices, but the firmware updates provided are .hec.

If I want to run the 5.19 firmware through this, how does one get a .hex based firmware update?

I'm guessing the resounding silence probably answers my question... can I make a formal request for .HEX distributions of your firmware updates for use in non-HomeSeer controllers? I see one or two others asking about this now that I look at the forum, so I'm apparently not alone in this need.

The 5.19 update for status reporting would fix a major gripe I have with the product and non-HomeSeer controllers, but I don't seem to be able to find a way to run the update WITHOUT HomeSeer... kind of a catch-22.

Comment

What controller are you using?

Originally posted by i8beef View Post
      I'm guessing the resounding silence probably answers my question... can I make a formal request for .HEX distributions of your firmware updates for use in non-HomeSeer controllers? I see one or two others asking about this now that I look at the forum, so I'm apparently not alone in this need.

The 5.19 update for status reporting would fix a major gripe I have with the product and non-HomeSeer controllers, but I don't seem to be able to find a way to run the update WITHOUT HomeSeer... kind of a catch-22.
      💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

I'm using ZWay on a Raspberry Pi.

Comment

Originally posted by i8beef View Post
          HomeSeer has a free 30day trial and will run on your PI or a windows machine. That would be an easy tool to use for firmware updates.

Coming from other solutions myself you may find that HS3 is what your missing anyways.

Comment

Logicsoft firmwares are .ota to use them on HomeSeer I just change the filename to .hex.

Can this be the same?

Regards
            Morten

Comment

I was hoping something like that would work, but Im not trying it and bricking a switch without confirmation that they are just .hex files with different file extensions.

As for installing different proprietary software, and repairing all of my devices, etc... I can't see that being viable for anyone. It's HomeSeer's prerogative to make that the only option of course, but man, that really ties the hands of those of us who would like to use your products and keep them up to date. It'd be unfortunate if that were the only option for customers to get this update installed, especially given the irony that half the reason for the changes in this firmware is to make interaction with third party software better.

Love the products, and I hope they'll reconsider this approach to encourage the interoperability with other parties!

And that we'll see these changes find their way to the regular switch firmwares too, since the self reporting issue exists there too.

Comment

You cannot just rename the file, the file is encrypted. Note that there have been reports of companies taking some of these firmware hex files and reverse engineering the code to re-create the source. So much so that I know more than one company that will not post any updates at all. Might be a bit overly paranoid but why take the chance? So our code is encrypted.

We will be releasing a standalone firmware programmer soon so anyone can update their HS products, and do multiple devices at once.

We simply cannot release our code for other manufacturer products as mentioned. If you installed our code on your switch and something really bad happened, who are you going to go after? I bet I know!
                💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

I'm a developer, I understand not wanting to support other people's stuff. I hope whatever solution you release for this will be easy to use in my situation with a Razberry daughter board (i.e., stop ZWay, run your update, start ZWay up again) so there's no re-pairing of devices that have to happen, if so that'd be totally cool.

In the mean time if I sign an NDA an promise not to be a dick can I get a hex file?

Comment

Originally posted by rjh View Post
                    You cannot just rename the file, the file is encrypted. Note that there have been reports of companies taking some of these firmware hex files and reverse engineering the code to re-create the source.
                    If a third party company really wanted to steal HomeSeer firmware, presumably they'd have the expertise to just sniff the serial port interface and record the bytes during an update operation.

Comment

Can you please release the HEX, OTA, or OTZ files now that the ZWave SDK is public? I appreciate your work on the flasher while the SDK was private but hoarding updates to your products for $29 just seems petty. Why not create some goodwill in the HomeAutomation community and release it for free? At least release your firmware unencrypted. Like Volkman said above, just installing Zniffer would allow anyone to capture the bytes on their way to the device so what's the point again?

Please...

Comment

Working...
                      X