This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Security Device Heartbeat Signals

Can anyone shed light on the timing and format of the various "heartbeat" signals generated by the DS10A sensor.

I have seen some docs on the WRF800 site regarding generation of the security code itself but nothing on the low battery or communication failure signals. I had an event set to monitor the DS10A when it changed to "normal" and that event seemed to trigger repeatedly (without change to the sensor contacts) at some time interval. I am assuming these lost comm and low battery features are based upon the absence of reception of some sort of heartbeat signal (possibly the repeated sending of the "normal" signal).

I am trying to troubleshoot a sensor that tends to drop out (comm failure) or hang in the alert mode fairly often. The sensor is fairly distant from the WRF800 and is equipped with a passive repeater antenna (18.25in wire) and reports through a PSX01 repeater. The problem has not stayed consistent enough to isolate the cause yet and the detailed debug info has not helped so far.

Also, is there any documentation available on the Security Monitor device the ACRF plugin creates with a location of ACRF Plugin. Should there be one for each sensor or does a single device monitor the status of all security sensors installed? What are the functions of the pull down controls?

Thanks.

There is documentation that gets installed with the plug-in. It describes the security system options and operation.

The heartbeat signals are status updates. They will not cause the plug-in to change the status of the device if the device was already in that state.

The low battery and tamper states are part of the communication protocol itself. Not all devices will transmit these.

Communication failure only has one condition that will set it, the device has missed two heartbeat periods. If you check the board history you will see that people report these often in the winter time. Many people have sensors in cold locations and the transmit power drops as a function of the temperature.

There is no exact set time period for the heartbeat. The spec is no more than 90 minutes. Many report every 40-50 minutes. If more than 180 minutes elapses since the last transmission then a communication failure will result for that device.

Jon

Originally posted by cbryan View Post
    Can anyone shed light on the timing and format of the various "heartbeat" signals generated by the DS10A sensor.

I have seen some docs on the WRF800 site regarding generation of the security code itself but nothing on the low battery or communication failure signals. I had an event set to monitor the DS10A when it changed to "normal" and that event seemed to trigger repeatedly (without change to the sensor contacts) at some time interval. I am assuming these lost comm and low battery features are based upon the absence of reception of some sort of heartbeat signal (possibly the repeated sending of the "normal" signal).

I am trying to troubleshoot a sensor that tends to drop out (comm failure) or hang in the alert mode fairly often. The sensor is fairly distant from the WRF800 and is equipped with a passive repeater antenna (18.25in wire) and reports through a PSX01 repeater. The problem has not stayed consistent enough to isolate the cause yet and the detailed debug info has not helped so far.

Also, is there any documentation available on the Security Monitor device the ACRF plugin creates with a location of ACRF Plugin. Should there be one for each sensor or does a single device monitor the status of all security sensors installed? What are the functions of the pull down controls?

Thanks.
    Jon Ort
    JonOrt@The--Orts.com
    (Remove the dashes in the address, spam is getting out of hand)

Comment

Oman,
      I am installing a DS10 and have ACRF reciever. Will configure as an "X10" on-off and "enable RF device monitoring". My question is WHERE does the communication failure message appear and how can I take action with an Event to notify me. Please explain
      Thanks,
      Bob

Comment

Don't use X10 mode unless you have a specific reason to, it limits functionality. You can do everything in full function mode with HS2. You will have the ability to detect comm fail by using an event trigger on the device. Just do a new event / device value change and you will see it there.

Jon

Originally posted by BobSpen View Post
        Oman,
        I am installing a DS10 and have ACRF reciever. Will configure as an "X10" on-off and "enable RF device monitoring". My question is WHERE does the communication failure message appear and how can I take action with an Event to notify me. Please explain
        Thanks,
        Bob
        Jon Ort
        JonOrt@The--Orts.com

Comment

Originally posted by Oman View Post
          Don't use X10 mode unless you have a specific reason to, it limits functionality. You can do everything in full function mode with HS2. You will have the ability to detect comm fail by using an event trigger on the device. Just do a new event / device value change and you will see it there.

Jon

Jon,

I have the DS10 door sensor as well. I am assuming that the way to set it up in HS2 is to set the DS10 with an X10 code (A3 for example), then with a W800 reciever on the PC end, set HS2 to 'look' for A3 (which is the DS10).

Is that the proper way to do this or is there something smoother?

Thanks,
          Rich

Comment

Rich,
            In the Docs subfolder in the Homeseer folder you should find a Word document that describes the ACRF plugin. Check the section on 'Add/Register a New Security Device'. It explains how to install things like the DS10A.
            Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
            HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

The DS10a sensors are security sensors and do not transmit a standard X10 code. They have to be registered with the ACRF plug-in.

Jon

Originally posted by richtj99 View Post
              Jon,

I have the DS10 door sensor as well. I am assuming that the way to set it up in HS2 is to set the DS10 with an X10 code (A3 for example), then with a W800 reciever on the PC end, set HS2 to 'look' for A3 (which is the DS10).

Is that the proper way to do this or is there something smoother?

Thanks,
              Rich
              Jon Ort
              JonOrt@The--Orts.com

Comment

Alert Status every hour with DS10A

I recently completed a fresh install of HS. I have a DS10A on a door which triggers an Alert every hour +/- almost exactly on the hour.

It triggers several events dependent on whether or not I am home and if it is day or night.

It is almost as if the heartbeat is triggering. I clearly have the Trigger as Alert for 1 Sec

Any suggestions on a fix? This did not occur until I did the refresh of HS and changed the batteries on all DS10A's.. Only this once sensor is sending the Alert every hour.

Comment

First make sure you don't have any event actions or scripts trying to change the value of the device. Then delete and re-create your event that is firing. You should not need to add "for one second" to your trigger.

If that doesn't work set the logging to very detailed and post the log once you get one of the unwanted triggers. I should be able to tell from there what is happening.

Jon

Originally posted by jgary View Post
                  I recently completed a fresh install of HS. I have a DS10A on a door which triggers an Alert every hour +/- almost exactly on the hour.

It triggers several events dependent on whether or not I am home and if it is day or night.

It is almost as if the heartbeat is triggering. I clearly have the Trigger as Alert for 1 Sec

Any suggestions on a fix? This did not occur until I did the refresh of HS and changed the batteries on all DS10A's.. Only this once sensor is sending the Alert every hour.
                  Jon Ort
                  JonOrt@The--Orts.com

Comment

Working...
                  X