Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bpwwer View Post
    Hi Dennis,

Sorry you encountered those problems. I do try to maintain backwards compatibility for the ISY firmware versions and did briefly test 2.7.15 not too long ago. However, UDI does sometimes make changes to the firmware that break compatibility. 1.0.2.13 was built against the 2.8.8 firmware.

I will go back to 2.7.15 and see if I can track down the issue and fix it.
    I've downloaded and installed both Universal Devices' and your latest, and everything seems to be working.

However, I should point out that at the time I downloaded 2.7.15, it was (and still is, I believe), the latest "officially supported" release of the UD firmware (it's the version available for automatic update from within the ISY management console - hard to get more "official" than that). The versions you say you're testing against are Release Candidates, and (quite legitimately) not supported by Universal Devices. The software company I work for is very careful about spelling out what we support, and what we don't - beta and RC versions of Microsoft software have never been supported.

I realize you're a small operation, and things in this community tend to be fairly informal, but finding that your latest version was incompatible with UD's supported, release version (with no warning in what passes for release notes) was a little disturbing.

Please don't take this as a huge negative - I really appreciate what you're doing here. I wrote my own plugin for the Insteon stuff in the early days, and used it until your plugin became available (and probably pushed the HomeSeer guys into pushing their contractor to release his plugin prematurely, by offering to share it), so I have some feeling for how tricky this stuff is. Just be aware that a lot of people are never going to upgrade the ISY firmware that came in the box, or will only upgrade to the supported versions offered in the management console. At the very least, you should verify that your releases work against UD's supported version, and if not, prominently mention that in your release notes. No rest for the weary software developer

- Dennis

Comment

ISY Insteon crashed HS2

ISY Insteon 1.0.2.13
      I found HS dead when I went to open the browser, and found the following error on the HS computer screen. Windows reported HS had stopped working and needed to be closed. I was not making any changes to HS or the ISY. Here is the HS log at the moment it crashed - no other activity occurred for several min. prior to this. Basically whats happening is when x10 motion is detected, HS notes the current dim level of the (Insteon) front lights in device F53, then turns them to 100%. After a motion timeout period, HS sets the front lights back to their previous dim level, as stored in F53 (which is currently set to "0").

12/31/2010 10:27:00 AM ~!~Event~!~Event Trigger "Porch motion timer expires"
      12/31/2010 10:27:00 AM ~!~Device Control~!~Device: Hidden Devices Front Motion timeout timer (T1) OFF
      12/31/2010 10:27:00 AM ~!~Event~!~Running script statement immediately: &hs.ExecX10 "]71","dim",hs.devicevalue("F53"),True
      12/31/2010 10:27:00 AM ~!~Device Control~!~Command sent to Outside Front Lights: ]71 dim Dimval: 0 Data: -1
      12/31/2010 10:27:00 AM ~!~Device Control~!~Device: Hidden Devices Front Motion timeout timer (T1) OFF
      12/31/2010 10:27:00 AM ~!~Event~!~Running script statement immediately: &hs.ExecX10 "]71","dim",hs.devicevalue("F53"),True
      12/31/2010 10:27:00 AM ~!~Device Control~!~Command sent to Outside Front Lights: ]71 dim Dimval: 0 Data: -1
      12/31/2010 10:27:00 AM ~!~ISY Insteon~!~MAIN: ISY device mapping failure for 71(5366)
      12/31/2010 10:27:00 AM ~!~ISY Insteon~!~MAIN: ISY device mapping failure for 71(5366)
      12/31/2010 10:27:00 AM ~!~ISY Insteon~!~COMM: ISY network communication failure: Failed to send command to ISY.
      12/31/2010 10:27:00 AM ~!~ISY Insteon~!~COMM: - Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
      12/31/2010 10:27:00 AM ~!~Web Server~!~Web Server stopped

12/31/2010 10:27:00 AM
      Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
      HomeSeer version: 2.5.0.4
      Source: HSPI_ISYInsteon
      Target: Void ProcessCommand(System.Object, HSPI_ISYINSTEON.isyCmdArgs)
      Stack trace:
      at HSPI_ISYINSTEON.isy.ProcessCommand(Object sender, isyCmdArgs cmd)
      at HSPI_ISYINSTEON.CommandQueue.QueueLoop()
      at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart_Context(Object state)
      at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.runTryCode(Object userData)
      at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.RuntimeHelpers.ExecuteCodeWi thGuaranteedCleanup(TryCode code, CleanupCode backoutCode, Object userData)
      at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionConte xt executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
      at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
      at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()
      Please specify what you were doing at the time of this error:

Comment

PS: Here is the "Additional Information" for the front Lights, "]71"

Reference ID 5366
        Status 3 = OFF
        Value 0
        String
        Supports Status True
        Dimmable True
        Interface ISY Insteon
        Misc IO Settings B 68 1F 1::0
        Misc Settings Show Values, Generate Voice Command, Direct Dimmable, Status Set Notify

Comment

Thanks for the detail.

I can fix it so it doesn't crash, that's a bug. The bug has been there I think, since day one. So it's not something that should normally happen (or I'd have had a lot of reports of he plug-in crashing). What I don't know, is what's causing your system to get into this state where it hits the bug.

When your script tells HomeSeer to do the ExecX10 "]71","dim", HomeSeer calls a function in the plug-in to execute the dim on device ]71. That's normal. The plug-in then looks at the HomeSeer device record and pulls the ID from it, 5366. It then tries to match that ID with an ISY device. That matching fails and I don't know why.

The mapping is suppose to be 1 to 1. The plug-in's internal representation of each ISY device will only map to one HomeSeer device record. If there are multiple HomeSeer device records for the same ISY device, then all but one are orphaned and won't work. It's possible that ]71 is an orphaned device record.

You can double check to make sure you only have one HomeSeer device for "B 68 1F 1"

The plug-in does a lot of checks when it's started to make sure it has a good mapping between ISY devices and HomeSeer devices. The one thing it doesn't do is delete HomeSeer devices. This is because if the ISY fails to send the device data, or the plug-in fails to parse it correctly, it could potentially delete all your devices (which would be really bad).

It is possible that the plug-in lost communication with the ISY and when it restarted, it failed to get a device list from the ISY and thus thinks there are no devices. Then the first command it tried to send after that, failed and crashed. So if you see communication errors and restart earlier in the log, that might explain it.

I'll fix the bug and add some additional log output when that condition is detected. That way, maybe we'll know more if it happens again.

Originally posted by CJVann View Post
          ISY Insteon 1.0.2.13
          I found HS dead when I went to open the browser, and found the following error on the HS computer screen. Windows reported HS had stopped working and needed to be closed. I was not making any changes to HS or the ISY. Here is the HS log at the moment it crashed - no other activity occurred for several min. prior to this. Basically whats happening is when x10 motion is detected, HS notes the current dim level of the (Insteon) front lights in device F53, then turns them to 100%. After a motion timeout period, HS sets the front lights back to their previous dim level, as stored in F53 (which is currently set to "0").

12/31/2010 10:27:00 AM ~!~ISY Insteon~!~COMM: ISY network communication failure: Failed to send command to ISY.
          12/31/2010 10:27:00 AM ~!~ISY Insteon~!~COMM: - Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
          12/31/2010 10:27:00 AM ~!~Web Server~!~Web Server stopped

12/31/2010 10:27:00 AM
          Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
          HomeSeer version: 2.5.0.4
          Source: HSPI_ISYInsteon
          Target: Void ProcessCommand(System.Object, HSPI_ISYINSTEON.isyCmdArgs)
          Stack trace:
          at HSPI_ISYINSTEON.isy.ProcessCommand(Object sender, isyCmdArgs cmd)
          at HSPI_ISYINSTEON.CommandQueue.QueueLoop()
          at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart_Context(Object state)
          at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.runTryCode(Object userData)
          at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.RuntimeHelpers.ExecuteCodeWi thGuaranteedCleanup(TryCode code, CleanupCode backoutCode, Object userData)
          at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionConte xt executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
          at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
          at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()
          Please specify what you were doing at the time of this error:
          --
          Bob Paauwe
          ISYInsteon Plug-in
          http://www.bobsplace.com/ISYInsteon/

Comment

Yes, there is only one "B 68 1F 1" in the plug-in config. I looked at the HS log from the evening prior, and see there were com issues to the ISY. I restarted HS about an hour later (for whatever reason), but notice there were NO ISY messages in the HS log between that time, and the next morning when everything crashed trying to set the dim level of the front lights.

12/30/2010 6:29:10 PM ~!~ISY Insteon~!~COMM: ISY network communication failure: Failed to send command to ISY.
            12/30/2010 6:29:10 PM ~!~ISY Insteon~!~COMM: - Could not connect to http://192.168.2.107/services. TCP error code 10060: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond 192.168.2.107:80.
            12/30/2010 6:29:31 PM ~!~ISY Insteon~!~COMM: ISY network communication failure: Failed to send command to ISY.
            12/30/2010 6:29:31 PM ~!~ISY Insteon~!~COMM: - Could not connect to http://192.168.2.107/services. TCP error code 10060: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond 192.168.2.107:80.
            12/30/2010 6:29:50 PM ~!~ISY Insteon~!~COMM: Subscription Connect: Socket failure 10060

Comment

Hmm, It does sound like the plug-in connected to the ISY, but didn't get any information on the various devices from it. That would explain the lack of messages and the crash. It doesn't explain how it got into that state in the first place.

I did fix the bug so it won't crash anymore, and I am working on some changes to try and improve the network robustness. It should be possible for the plug-in to detect these types of situations, but I'm not sure what it should do when it does. Where possible, I try to make it recover, and if that's not possible, make sure it reports the errors to the log, but beyond that, it will probably just continue to run in that crippled state.

I'd also like to have it generate error events that could be used to trigger homeseer actions.

Yes, there is only one "B 68 1F 1" in the plug-in config. I looked at the HS log from the evening prior, and see there were com issues to the ISY. I restarted HS about an hour later (for whatever reason), but notice there were NO ISY messages in the HS log between that time, and the next morning when everything crashed trying to set the dim level of the front lights.
              --
              Bob Paauwe
              ISYInsteon Plug-in

Comment

Dennis,

Thanks for the feedback. I don't disagree with anything you've pointed out and I will try to do a better job of documenting each release. Once pointed out, I can see where some of my assumptions about what the releases are have not been clear.

The version of the plug-in that is available in the HomeSeer store is expected to work with the release ISY firmware.

Versions of the plug-in releases on the forum are not typically fully tested release versions of the plug-in. The exception was the first couple after the 1.0.2.0 release, as those were small bug fixes.

Starting with 1.0.2.7, the releases have been very 'beta' quality releases. Looking back, I did not make this clear at all, and I'm sorry for that. For the most part, these releases are fixing specific bugs or adding support for new ISY firmware with some new feature development.

So the "rules" should look something like this (and I'll make sure to update the release messages with this info):

If you're using ISY release firmware then use the ISYInsteon Plug-in release for that firmware.

If you're using ISY release firmware but need a bug-fix or feature in a beta version of the ISYInsteon plug-in, upgrade the plug-in but understand that there could be issues.

If you're using ISY beta firmware then use the latest ISYInsteon Plug-in release with the understanding that there could be issues related to either.

I don't have the resources to test every ISY firmware version, but there has been the expectation that new ISYInsteon plug-ins will work with older ISY firmware. So the fact that the latest plug-in doesn't work with 2.7.15 is a bug. I am working to fix that and try and make the plug-in better able to handle changes in the firmware going forward.

Originally posted by brothers View Post
                I've downloaded and installed both Universal Devices' and your latest, and everything seems to be working.

However, I should point out that at the time I downloaded 2.7.15, it was (and still is, I believe), the latest "officially supported" release of the UD firmware (it's the version available for automatic update from within the ISY management console - hard to get more "official" than that). The versions you say you're testing against are Release Candidates, and (quite legitimately) not supported by Universal Devices. The software company I work for is very careful about spelling out what we support, and what we don't - beta and RC versions of Microsoft software have never been supported.

I realize you're a small operation, and things in this community tend to be fairly informal, but finding that your latest version was incompatible with UD's supported, release version (with no warning in what passes for release notes) was a little disturbing.

Please don't take this as a huge negative - I really appreciate what you're doing here. I wrote my own plugin for the Insteon stuff in the early days, and used it until your plugin became available (and probably pushed the HomeSeer guys into pushing their contractor to release his plugin prematurely, by offering to share it), so I have some feeling for how tricky this stuff is. Just be aware that a lot of people are never going to upgrade the ISY firmware that came in the box, or will only upgrade to the supported versions offered in the management console. At the very least, you should verify that your releases work against UD's supported version, and if not, prominently mention that in your release notes. No rest for the weary software developer

- Dennis
                --
                Bob Paauwe
                ISYInsteon Plug-in

Comment

Originally posted by bpwwer View Post
                  Hmm, It does sound like the plug-in connected to the ISY, but didn't get any information on the various devices from it. That would explain the lack of messages and the crash. It doesn't explain how it got into that state in the first place.

I did fix the bug so it won't crash anymore, and I am working on some changes to try and improve the network robustness. It should be possible for the plug-in to detect these types of situations, but I'm not sure what it should do when it does. Where possible, I try to make it recover, and if that's not possible, make sure it reports the errors to the log, but beyond that, it will probably just continue to run in that crippled state.

I'd also like to have it generate error events that could be used to trigger homeseer actions.
                  Bob - The plug-in has crashed HS a couple of additinoal times, so I have some more detail. I believe the problem is my router. I got a notice on a Windows CE machine this morning that it couldn't find a DHCP server on boot, and HS was also crashed on my HS computer (Caused by ISY Plug-in). I found the HS computer was using some wildly different IP address than my network uses, and had no Internet connection. After rebooting the router, all problems went away.

Comment

Bob - The plug-in has crashed HS a couple of additinoal times, so I have some more detail. I believe the problem is my router. I got a notice on a Windows CE machine this morning that it couldn't find a DHCP server on boot, and HS was also crashed on my HS computer (Caused by ISY Plug-in). I found the HS computer was using some wildly different IP address than my network uses, and had no Internet connection. After rebooting the router, all problems went away.
                    The new version I'm working should no longer crash when it encounters network errors. At least it hasn't in my testing. Hopefully your problems are solved by the re-boot and you won't need to test it
                    --
                    Bob Paauwe
                    ISYInsteon Plug-in

Comment

It seems like a lot of people, including myself, are having a lot of router/ISY communication problems lately! Over the past month or so, my log file shows a lot of communication failures:

1/14/2011 7:14:17 AM Device Control Device: Garage Interior Lights (L) (^45) OFF
                      1/14/2011 7:14:17 AM Event Event Trigger "Garage Light - Turns off Mud Room Light too"
                      1/14/2011 7:14:17 AM ISY Insteon COMM: ISY network communication failure: Failed to send command to ISY.
                      1/14/2011 7:14:17 AM ISY Insteon COMM: - The remote server returned an unexpected response: (501) OK.
                      1/14/2011 7:14:17 AM ISY Insteon COMM: ISY network communication failure: Failed to send command to ISY.
                      1/14/2011 7:14:17 AM ISY Insteon COMM: - The remote server returned an unexpected response: (501) OK.
                      1/14/2011 7:14:18 AM ISY Insteon COMM: ISY network communication failure: Failed to send command to ISY.
                      1/14/2011 7:14:18 AM ISY Insteon COMM: - The remote server returned an unexpected response: (501) OK.
                      1/14/2011 7:14:18 AM ISY Insteon COMM: ISY network communication failure: Failed to send command to ISY.
                      1/14/2011 7:14:18 AM ISY Insteon COMM: - The remote server returned an unexpected response: (501) OK.

I've upgraded both the firmware to the latest .10 version, the latest ISY plug in and have also swapped out the PLM thinking it was the interface causing some problems. Unfortunately, the ISY/99i unit will eventually lock up and stop talking to anything. i.e, HS/pro, and even the web interface. If I'm home, either resetting the ISY or unplugging the PLM from the wall will cause it to reboot and then it talks the HSPro without any problems, but after an hour or two the ISY network communication failures start up and the cycle continues. I've even changed the ISY IP address a couple of times thinking it was colliding with something else on the network, but no such luck. I've even ran a network scanner to see if there's ever a ping going to the ISY address intermittently that might be causing the problem, but NOOOOOO! So, I'm pretty convinced that it's not Bob's plug-in but some flaw in the ISY firmware that's the root cause, so I've put in a trouble ticket with those folks to see what they come back with.

I just thought I'd share my rant!

-Todd

____________________________________________________________ ________________
                      HS2Pro: 2.5.0.81 :: HS3Pro (beta) || Plugins:| SmartHome PowerLinc USB, Global Cache, BLBackup, DooCPU Monitor, DooMotion, BLOutlook, BLIcon, BLOutgoingCalls, OutgoingCalls, ROC-Rnd, HSTouch iPhone, UPS Monitor, DooMenuBar, BLSpeech, HSTouch Server, WAF AB8SS, mcsTemperature, VWS, BLChart, RFXCOM, ISY Insteon, iAutomate RFID, iTunes, NetCAM, DSC Security, Nest

Comment

Interesting (but probably not the word you're using). There does seem to be more chatter on the UDI forum about network issues with the 2.8.8 and later firmware releases.

Are all the communication failures similar to these, where the ISY responds with a 501 error?

A 501 error from the ISY means that the ISY did get the command but it didn't like something about it and rejected it. I get that a lot when I'm experimenting with how a new command to the ISY works. It also happened recently when the ISY firmware changed to send additional information in one of the flag fields but if that same information was passed back in a command it failed.

Your log looks like it for a simple normal device off command which makes seeing a 501 error interesting.

If you turn on debugging when you see this happening, it will provide more information about what is being sent to the ISY. And, based on this, I'll change that section a bit more so that it reports in more detail what is being sent to the ISY.

Questions I have are:

1) is this happening for all commands?

2) if not all commands, is there anything common about the devices it is happening with (same type of device, all newly added or renamed or...)

Since you say that the ISY is inaccessible, this may not help, but there's a URL you can access that shows the persistent connections the ISY has open. Watching this over the 1 - 2 hours as things get worse may show a pattern.

It's http://<your isy ip>/rest/subscriptions/ <-- don't use a chrome browser

The plug-in should account for one in-use/active connection. The ISY admin console will account for one if it's running.

Originally posted by tmcgowan View Post
                        It seems like a lot of people, including myself, are having a lot of router/ISY communication problems lately! Over the past month or so, my log file shows a lot of communication failures:

1/14/2011 7:14:17 AM Device Control Device: Garage Interior Lights (L) (^45) OFF
                        1/14/2011 7:14:17 AM Event Event Trigger "Garage Light - Turns off Mud Room Light too"

I've upgraded both the firmware to the latest .10 version, the latest ISY plug in and have also swapped out the PLM thinking it was the interface causing some problems. Unfortunately, the ISY/99i unit will eventually lock up and stop talking to anything. i.e, HS/pro, and even the web interface. If I'm home, either resetting the ISY or unplugging the PLM from the wall will cause it to reboot and then it talks the HSPro without any problems, but after an hour or two the ISY network communication failures start up and the cycle continues. I've even changed the ISY IP address a couple of times thinking it was colliding with something else on the network, but no such luck. I've even ran a network scanner to see if there's ever a ping going to the ISY address intermittently that might be causing the problem, but NOOOOOO! So, I'm pretty convinced that it's not Bob's plug-in but some flaw in the ISY firmware that's the root cause, so I've put in a trouble ticket with those folks to see what they come back with.

I just thought I'd share my rant!

--
                        Bob Paauwe
                        ISYInsteon Plug-in

Comment

Any movement on this issue? I have the .10 version of the ISY firmware and get the same thing happening quite often. I looked at the REST subscriptions and get the following (seems like a a lot of subscriptions). Any thoughts?

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
                          - <Subscriptions>
                          <Sub sid="62" sock="31" isReusingSocket="yes" isExpired="no" inUse="yes" isInitializing="no" isConnecting="no" isPortal="no" />
                          <Sub sid="60" sock="-1" isReusingSocket="no" isExpired="yes" inUse="no" isInitializing="no" isConnecting="no" isPortal="no" />
                          <Sub sid="58" sock="-1" isReusingSocket="no" isExpired="yes" inUse="no" isInitializing="no" isConnecting="no" isPortal="no" />
                          <Sub sid="0" sock="-1" isReusingSocket="no" isExpired="yes" inUse="no" isInitializing="no" isConnecting="no" isPortal="no" />
                          <Sub sid="0" sock="-1" isReusingSocket="no" isExpired="yes" inUse="no" isInitializing="no" isConnecting="no" isPortal="no" />
                          </Subscriptions>

Comment

Originally posted by heatvent View Post
                            Any movement on this issue? I have the .10 version of the ISY firmware and get the same thing happening quite often. I looked at the REST subscriptions and get the following (seems like a a lot of subscriptions). Any thoughts?
                            Only one of those subscriptions is in-use so that's pretty normal. I didn't get an additional information so I haven't make any specific changes to address communication problems.

The ISY firmware has been updated a number of times since .10 and I believe it's UDI's position that you should be on the latest, which is .14, in the series.
                            --
                            Bob Paauwe
                            ISYInsteon Plug-in

Comment

Working...
                            X