No announcement yet.

HomeSeer Amazon Echo Skill Approved!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think it should work on a PI, but the Echo has excellent mics, so it probably won't work as well. Spud might know for sure as he has an Alexa plugin for HS3 that allows you to use the mic on your PC, and that supports skills.

We are looking at ways to know which Echo the user is talking too, hopefully we will have a solution there.

Originally posted by rhardcore View Post
    Thank you for all your hard work. I know that Savant has VR (they've also teamed with Apple) and Control4 has a VR module as well. HS3, of course, has it's native VR. However,...

I do think you are going the right direction when it comes to VR because there are a lot of interesting things happening with Echo that you get to benefit from without having to do a thing. For instance, they just release a new skill that let's me order my favorite pizza from Dominos or order an Uber. If Echo is the VR front end for HS from a use case/function standpoint, then it is basically like HS users just got free Dominos and Uber plugins.

Hopefully, they (read: Amazon), gets off their collective behinds and releases the functionality that allows folks with multiple Echos to have them function uniquely or at least identify themselves uniquely to the skill service destination.

If I were to make a little pseudo Echo with a Pi, would I still have access to this skill or does it only work on actual Echos? Thanks again!
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by rhardcore View Post
      If I were to make a little pseudo Echo with a Pi, would I still have access to this skill or does it only work on actual Echos? Thanks again!
      Can this actually be done?? If so, I see another project in my future with the next blizzard we get

Comment

Yes, Alexa Voice Service (AVS) is meant to allow 3rd parties to put Alexa on their devices.

See https://youtu.be/frH9HaQTFL8 for an example

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by waynehead99 View Post
          Can this actually be done?? If so, I see another project in my future with the next blizzard we get
          The syntax for your HS3 doesn't require any special encryption (ours is handled by myHS and the tunnel), so yes, you should have no issues using a pi to send commands to your HS3 system.
          Wade

"I know nothing... nothing!"

Comment

Originally posted by DeLicious View Post
            Yes, Alexa Voice Service (AVS) is meant to allow 3rd parties to put Alexa on their devices.

See https://youtu.be/frH9HaQTFL8 for an example

This requires your data to be sent to the cloud, whereas using HS3 as the endpoint allows you to keep everything local.

The pi would convert the speech to text, then send it to HS3 to be processed.

You could have the alexa voice service as a secondary function, so that you could still get all the functionality of a regular echo as well.

It all depends on how good the pi would be on picking up speech.
            Wade

"I know nothing... nothing!"

Comment

Originally posted by rjh View Post
              I think it should work on a PI, but the Echo has excellent mics, so it probably won't work as well. Spud might know for sure as he has an Alexa plugin for HS3 that allows you to use the mic on your PC, and that supports skills.
              The Alexa plugin (http://board.homeseer.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1292) use AVS (Alexa Voice service). When you use this plugin, a new Alexa device appears in your Alexa account and you can use it with any skill. There is only a few limitations like alarms or music services that AVS apps can't use.

Comment

[QUOTE=rjh;1226023]I think this is a joke? But if not, Amazon is the one who needs to release this and we have pinged them again yesterday to get a status. We are waiting on both the Skill and the connected home API to be released.

Half yes, half no on the Joke.... well it did not come out today at least we can order a pizza and a ride to go pick it up, but can't easily turn the lights off on the way out!

Comment

Originally posted by drmcp View Post
                  Half yes, half no on the Joke.... well it did not come out today at least we can order a pizza and a ride to go pick it up, but can't easily turn the lights off on the way out!
                  I was thinking exactly that as I was reading the latest update from AMZN on the commute home tonight.
                  cheeryfool

Comment

Originally posted by cheeryfool View Post
                    I was thinking exactly that as I was reading the latest update from AMZN on the commute home tonight.

I hope you weren't driving!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                    HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
                    2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Q View Post
                      I hope you weren't driving.

No, long distance ferry. Much better for my sanity and allows for some quiet, uninterrupted HS tinkering.
                      cheeryfool

Comment

If anyone comes across an Amazon Echo with the remote please let me know
                        I am looking for one with remote but it seems hard to find one where they do not want an arm and leg for it.
                        Cheers,
                        Bob
                        Web site | Help Desk | Feature Requests | Message Board

Comment

The remotes aren't tied to a specific device. You should be able to buy one separately and pair it to your existing device. How much were you hoping to spend on one?

Comment

Originally posted by Blade View Post
                            If anyone comes across an Amazon Echo with the remote please let me know
                            I am looking for one with remote but it seems hard to find one where they do not want an arm and leg for it.
                            Do they no longer come with the remote?

Comment

Only the original beta devices came with the remote, I believe. Once it went to general availability, the remotes were sold separately.

Comment

Originally posted by DeLicious View Post
                                Only the original beta devices came with the remote, I believe. Once it went to general availability, the remotes were sold separately.

Odd. We never use ours, but it's on the fidge in case we need it. I guess most people don't use it, hence why it's not separate (lower price for the unit).

Sorry to go off-topic. Back to your regularly scheduled program

Comment

Working...
                                X