Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kinect as PC microphone?

Hello,

Can I use a Kinect as a standard PC microphone and make use of HomeSeer's already built in voice recognition features. I'm already making use of that feature mostly via the JSON API and an Android app which captures my voice and sends it as text. I'm also using Jon00's awesome Echo helper script to customize my JSON response text, which is spoken to me. In other words, I don't want to have to recreate my events in order to use a Kinect, but I want a solid, large room, long distance microphone, which I hear the Kinect qualifies as. I'd like to be able to just speak, and not pick up my phone and press a button as I do now. How lazy am I?

This plugin looks awesome though, however I just want a good mic right now for the built in VR. Can the Kinect do that?

Thanks!
    HS4, Insteon, Z-wave, USB-UIRT, Harmony Hubs, Google Hub/Chromecasts/Speakers, Foscam & Amcrest cameras, EZVIZ DB1 doorbell
    Plugins: BLLAN, BLOccupied, BLUSBUIRT, Chromecast, Harmony Hub, Insteon, Jon00 Homeseer/Echo Skill Helper, Harmony Hub, Jon00 DB Charting, MediaController, NetCAM, PHLocation2, Pushover 3P, weatherXML, Z-wave

Yes. Just install the Kinect SDK and you will be all set.
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Awesome! Thank you very much for that information.

One more question.

If I buy, say, this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-XBO...ds=kinect&th=1

Do I need anything else to connect it to a PC? The listing isn't clear and I've read something about needing an adapter or power supply. If I do need something else, any links would be most helpful.

Thanks!
      HS4, Insteon, Z-wave, USB-UIRT, Harmony Hubs, Google Hub/Chromecasts/Speakers, Foscam & Amcrest cameras, EZVIZ DB1 doorbell
      Plugins: BLLAN, BLOccupied, BLUSBUIRT, Chromecast, Harmony Hub, Insteon, Jon00 Homeseer/Echo Skill Helper, Harmony Hub, Jon00 DB Charting, MediaController, NetCAM, PHLocation2, Pushover 3P, weatherXML, Z-wave

Comment

Yeah here purchased mine from Gamestop without power supplies. I searched on Ebay and found power supplies for $7.00 each with free shipping.

Old ad for Kinects on Gamestop shows

Kinect for Xbox 360 (GameStop Refurbished) Includes:

Kinect Sensor
        AC Adapter
        USB Cable
        Installation Manual

You can ask the seller on Amazon what the device includes as accessories.
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
        HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
        HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Thanks for the tips. Found one locally at a use games/movies place for $30 with power supply, and a game I'll never use. They'd buy it back for $3 but I just took it.

Working pretty well as a room mic so far. Not superb, at least yet, with noise in the background. I could perhaps train more.

Not too pleased with Speaker.exe performance in regards to attention phrase. It activates for all sorts of stuff not even close to the phrase. I've tried multiple two word phrases with poor results. Human conversations and the TV triggered it way too much. Does this plugin do better?

Question...

Can I use this Kinect plugin to receive voice commands from the Kinect, and then pass off ANY phrase received to the JSON API...regardless of whether or not I have a specific matching phrase in this plugin? Again, I'm looking to utilize the same mechanisms that the JSON API uses to process request=voicecommand, which appears to be what Alexa uses as well. I already have events and scripts based on that mechanism.

IOW, can I pass ANY words received to a script, or must they be defined in this plugin in order to do any actions? I think I could write a script to do the rest.

Comment

Originally posted by mrceolla View Post
            Question...

Can I use this Kinect plugin to receive voice commands from the Kinect, and then pass off ANY phrase received to the JSON API...regardless of whether or not I have a specific matching phrase in this plugin? Again, I'm looking to utilize the same mechanisms that the JSON API uses to process request=voicecommand, which appears to be what Alexa uses as well. I already have events and scripts based on that mechanism.

IOW, can I pass ANY words received to a script, or must they be defined in this plugin in order to do any actions? I think I could write a script to do the rest.
            No you can't. The kinect plugin uses all the voice commands defined in HS to build a grammar in order to do VR. If you don't specify any specific kinect rule, it won't recognize anything.

Comment

Ah yes...a grammar file. Speaker.exe creates one of those. Is there some way I could use Speaker's XML file with this plugin so that this plugin can respond to the voice commands I already have created? I suspect it still wouldn't be able to execute the matching actions without a little help, but if it would at least activate based on my existing phrases I'd be a little closer.

Comment

Working...
              X