Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HomeSeer WS100/WD100 code for Dragon Tech?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HomeSeer WS100/WD100 code for Dragon Tech?

Open request to HomeseerThe Request
    Please enable your firmware to with all with Dragon Tech products as well as your own identical units. Why should you do this?
    1. Its really cheap Public Relations
    2. Goodwill to the Homeseer community
    3. Will drive future sales of your own products

Thank you! If you like this - "Like" it or write a comment in support!

Agreed

Comment

I definitely support this. I have 2 DragonTech switches, 1 dimmer, and 1 plugin appliance module that were all purchased before the Homeseer versions were released. Had the Homeseer versions been available at the time, I would have bought those instead.

Comment

Before more chime in, simply we cannot update another manufacturers product; we don't have the legal right to, and we don't have the liability protection for doing such a thing. So this will not happen.
        💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by rjh View Post
          Before more chime in, simply we cannot update another manufacturers product; we don't have the legal right to, and we don't have the liability protection for doing such a thing. So this will not happen.
          Seems like the door got slammed a bit to fast.

The last time my switches were updated it was done by me not you. So while you may not have the right too the end users do. Seems like a disclaimer and the firmware (without restrictions) available is, do able if you choose too.

I have the right to wipe, restore or change the software on my PC's or phones (hardware) to what ever I choose. Seems like this would be the same with dragon hardware to run a different firmware. I can understand that you would not be held responsible if an update brakes the switch and a disclaimer would cover that or even one that said it was only for intended use on homeseer switches all other at your own risk.

Comment

Originally posted by rjh View Post

Perhaps I missed something, but how is this different from, say, a Raspberry PI?

I own a raspberry PI. I can put my choice of Linux Distros on it. I can even put MS Windows on it. I can paint polka-dots on it if I wish. Nobody would argue my rights to do that.

Similarly, I own the DragonTech devices. I can reprogram them, paint polka-dots on them, and so on.

I'm having trouble with the liability issue. Multiple companies can make Linux and Windows operating systems for the RaspBerry PI without issue. But Homeseer cannot make their own code available? I don't follow the logic.

Homeseer: Pretty please - make the code available. If I brick my own devices, I'll take the liability.

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I would like the ability to cross-flash firmware among different vendors as much as the next person. Like many of us we feel we can do what we want with our hardware and assume personal risk for any problems such as bricking the device. But I understand HS' position about several things. 1-Liability. Because of the way our society sues everyone for anything HS can't predict immunity from suits if they are flexible and help us. If someone gets hurt, like a garage door closes on a kid, some lawyer could say this would not have happened if HS did not allow the homeowner to flash different FW. We also don't know the contractual bindings between HS and DT. If they allow HS FW on DT it may open the door for DT to freely provide it on new devices. Good for us, bad for HS. 2-Intellectual Property. HS applies its own time and resources to develop HS FW for the Dragontech products. HS has the right to protect this and deserves to profit from it. That profit comes through the sale of genuine HS products.

I'm just saying we should not hold it against HS because they need to follow best practices. I would rather help ensure a long term future for HS than to save a few bucks on a switch.

Comment

Working...
              X