Well, The Experiment is OVER

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sirmeili View Post
    ... I can say "Alexa, ask the house where Sara is." and it will tell me "Sars is at X" or "Sara is driving down Y road"..... At the same time, when I have to trek to Tampa for work, The system knows when I've been "at work" and that I'm driving towards home...so she can say "Alexa, ask the house where Frank is" and she'll reply "Frank is currently driving home and is in X city. He should arrive home in Y minutes". It's a convenience thing and she likes that she can easily see where I am and how much longer till I get home. it's a 2 hour drive, so she worries on those days.
    I wonder if I could ask what "magic dust" allows Alexa to locate people out and about. Thanks

-rick
    -Rick

Comment

It is interesting to see folks testing these new devices. As far as controlling HA devices, it seems like the latency would be a big negative. Also, in my limited experience with using them, my strong southern accent becomes a problem.

But my biggest barrier to jumping in is that I am on a metered connection. Only 10 GB per month. To keep within that limit, we really don't do any streaming video or music/sound. We are rural so no other alternatives. No cell either.

On the other hand, being bandwidth limited is what made HS3 so attractive since it generally doesn't require outside resources.

Comment

Originally posted by rmorton27 View Post
        I wonder if I could ask what "magic dust" allows Alexa to locate people out and about. Thanks

-rick

PHLocation
        Originally posted by rprade
        There is no rhyme or reason to the anarchy a defective Z-Wave device can cause

Comment

Well, The Experiment is OVER

Ok, I'm taking the echo dot plunge. I am hoping to integrate HS3, Emby, and Rachio.

Also I am hoping to get notifications to pass through the echo dot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by rmorton27 View Post

-rick
            Originally posted by S-F View Post
            PHLocation
            @S-F is correct

Comment

Originally posted by logbuilder View Post
              It is interesting to see folks testing these new devices. As far as controlling HA devices, it seems like the latency would be a big negative. Also, in my limited experience with using them, my strong southern accent becomes a problem.
              I don't notice any latency unless it's an IFTTT trigger I'm using. Southern accent isn't an issue either.

Comment

I can agree with all, the latency is unnoticeable... unless MyHS is down . I tried IFTTT about a year ago, and for control, its useless and didn't last long on my system.

I would be curious to see what the echo uses daily for bandwidth to see if metered connections really are affected that much. Voice traffic would only be one way and probably the biggest bit user.

Comment

Working...
                X