Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installation Issue

Attached Files

Do you have line voltage across the hot and neutral terminals?

Comment

Are you sure you identified load properly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I identified the load properly with a multimeter. Just to make sure I checked again and everything looks correct.

I assumed that all three neutral terminal had voltage. Apparently they don't. The one I was using didn't put out any voltage, but I found one that did. It was putting out around 11 volts. I tried using that wire, but still didn't work. Are there any other thoughts or ideas?

Thanks Again

Comment

Originally posted by rmcg74 View Post
          Thanks for the replies. I identified the load properly with a multimeter. Just to make sure I checked again and everything looks correct.

I assumed that all three neutral terminal had voltage. Apparently they don't. The one I was using didn't put out any voltage, but I found one that did. It was putting out around 11 volts. I tried using that wire, but still didn't work. Are there any other thoughts or ideas?

Thanks Again

Were all the neutrals connected together before? If so, you need to run a small jumper wire from the bundle to your switch. You can't just pick one from the bundle to use.

Sent from my Phone using Tapatalk
          HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
          Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Thanks Again
            The neutral wires in this junction box should be common - one wire leads back to the breaker panel to complete your circuit, the others lead to your lights / outlets on that circuit, and the last to your new switch.

Your line (hot) wires will be similar, with the primary leading from the breaker panel to your junction box, and then the other wires under that wire nut providing hot to your new switch and your other lights on the circuit.

Think of this junction box as an extension of the circuit created at your breaker panel. From here, it appears that your other two lights draw their power (and are presumably switched by another switch in another box). The Homeseer switch requires its own neutral wire (connected to the common neutral) which provides power to its electronics.

Again - you will need to verify all this personally since it is impossible to judge from a photo but it is the most likely scenario.

Unless this box is a lot deeper than it looks, you are probably going to have a heck of a time shoving all those solid wires and nuts back into that space with that big Z-Wave switch. You may want to consider using this product to save some space, and make it easier to work with:

http://www.wago.us/products/terminal...ries/overview/

I use these extensively and they are outstanding. You can use them over and over and it saves you the trouble of twisting up your multiple wire connection with pliers and much larger twist nuts. Saves lots of room.

I would also recommend wrapping the exposed screw terminals on the switch with a quality electrical tape before putting it all back together - especially if that is a metal box. It's going to be a tight fit, and it is very easy to get a dead short when pushing and bending wires around if something gets between the line terminal and the box that conducts.

Standard disclamer: Do not wire the circuit hot!!!!!! Make sure power is killed to that branch with a tester before proceeding.

Comment

Sparkman...your directions fixed my issue. Thanks to you and everyone who replied.

Comment

Sparkman...your directions fixed my issue. Thanks to you and everyone who replied.

Great, glad I could help!

Sent from my Phone using Tapatalk
                HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
                Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Working...
                X