Moving from IOS to Android

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving from IOS to Android

I've changed my phone from an iPhone to a Samsung Galaxy S8+ and no longer can use Geofency. I'm trying to set up a different location app but not sure what would be best for Android. I would like to know what is considered more accurate and consistent. Which works better....Location based app or a geofence based app? I also see there is a difference in a polled app or a direct http post app. I'm assuming the direct HTTP post app would be quicker?

Any information would be helpful. Talk to me like a 3rd grader and don't assume I should know something....I won't take offense :-)

Thanking everyone in advance,

AARPaul from Florida

PS - My wife is still using an iPhone with Geofency. If there is something better....I'm all ears.

Errors - Backitude

Here is what I'm getting.......

(procBkData) Backitude data arrival. latitude=28.549121856689453&longitude=-81.64788055419922&accuracy=20.0&altitude=0.0&speed=0.0&loc_t imestamp=1498845761&req_timestamp=1498845895&PHLID=PaulPHLoc ation&offset=-04%3A00
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by pmp350 View Post
      Here is what I'm getting.......

(procBkData) Backitude data arrival. latitude=28.549121856689453&longitude=-81.64788055419922&accuracy=20.0&altitude=0.0&speed=0.0&loc_t imestamp=1498845761&req_timestamp=1498845895&PHLID=PaulPHLocation&offset=-04%3A00
      Apologies for the delayed response. I'm a little bogged down with work at the moment.

I think the issue is the text I have marked in red.

This should be the numerical device ref No of the root Backitude user device so it would be something like PHLID=1234

Paul..

Comment

Success

That did it!!

Thanks for the help!!

Comment

Just to chime in here without touching on the error which seems to have been resolved, Backitude seems to be the best Android option. I also use EgiGeoZone but I occasionally have errors when exiting a fence. Due to the nature of geofencing there is no way to rectify this. With a position based tool if you miss one sending it's quickly corrected on the next update. Also you don't have to be at the location to create a new place in the plugin.
          Originally posted by rprade
          There is no rhyme or reason to the anarchy a defective Z-Wave device can cause

Comment

Backitude vote here

I'm on Android as well and using Backitude. It's working great and so far there's minimal impact to the battery. I'm doing steals every 30 seconds so that Backitude can grab the location from apps that already do this (like Waze, Google Maps). I've configured the undate interval to 0 so that Backitude only gets it's location from steals. The only issue I'm seeing is with the speed reporting. Backitude reports this as meters per second, however PHLocation does not convert this at the moment. I've reported it to the developer so hopefully it can be fixed to reflect either MPH or KPH depending upon what units are configured in the plug-in.

Comment

Working...
            X