I really need help quick!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I really need help quick!

I have X10 switches installed in my home. About 30 of them. I am selling the home, and had to close out a building permit I have. So the local electrical inspector has failed me because of my X10 switches. These are the cheaper X10 WS12A switches. He says they don't meet code because there is no ground lug, and they are installed in plastic boxes. Seems like 99% of these switches are installed like I have.

I suggested a ground pigtail under the mounting screw, but he said no.

I could just remove the switches and install standard switches, but they buyers of our home want the home automation, so I'll have to replace them with a different switch. This could cost a lot of money, and it may cost us the home sale.

Does anybody know for sure if this inspector is full of crap? If not, is there a legal workaround for this problem? I can't believe that X10 has sold a million illegal switches without it being stopped by now.

Thanks!!

I would suggest that you contact X10 or the place you bought them from. See if they know the answer.
    A computer's attention span is as long
    as it's powercord.

Comment

Originally posted by sdanks View Post
      I would suggest that you contact X10 or the place you bought them from. See if they know the answer.
      Local code issue. Many locals just incorporate the National Electrical Code.
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nationa...rical_Code_(US)

Comment

I would....

Pull them out and pass the permit. I wouldn't screw with losing a home sale.

I'd give them to him in a box and tell the home owner after the deal is closed that I will "help" him install them.

~Bill

Comment

Working...
        X