IIS and Host Header Name

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IIS and Host Header Name

I'm sorry I'm asking an off-topic question. Reccently at work, we have a new firewall and we're blocking certain outgoing ports. Frankly, my Homeseer web along with other IIS sites are on weird ports so I can't access any of them.

I understand in IIS, there's a setting for host header and I believe this allows using the same port for different web sites, am I correct?

If this is the case, how do I actually implement to my sites? Where do I find the host header section? Is it on the html/asp page itself?

Thanks for your help,

Simon

To bypass your firewall, download HTTP-Tunnel @ http://www.http-tunnel.com/HT_Produc...nnelClient.asp This will run a socks server locally and let you bypass your firewall @ work.. This sends the request through the local socks server then out to an external server to process your request. If you have any questions just email me..

Jeff

Comment

right click on the website in question.
      on the "web site" tab click advanced.
      Click add, enter the Host Header name (website name) and the port you want to listen on, usally 80.

You will also need to point the name to the IP address of the server running this in DNS or Lmhost, etc...

Comment

Now I know where to enter the host header, however, my next question is how do I setup my DNS server so it knows when I type in:

http://www.htsource.com

It knows it's pointing to 192.168.1.106?

I have Active Directory running on another PC with DNS Server. I know with hosts file, I can just enter:

www.htsource.com 192.168.1.106

but I don't know what to do with Windows 2000 DNS Server.

Thanks for your help,

Simon

Comment

Open your windows 2000 server DNS.

Expand your forward lookup zone for your domain.
          Right click on the right side of the screen (where your domain DNS info is listed) and say new host.

Now once you have right clicked just say new host, for host and ip put it the correct info you want..

I would send some screen shots, but I am in Chicago at the moment and dont have access to a DNS server..

Hope this helps..

Jeff

Comment

Jeff,

Much appreciated your response. A quick question for you hope you don't mind. I just set up my HA Server as secondary DNS server and everything seems to go well, however, can you verify if I have the DNS search list okay for these 2 servers:

In the Domain Controller (primary DNS), I have the following:

192.168.1.106 --> HA Server (secondary DNS)
            216.224.11.43 --> Cable ISP DNS
            24.141.22.11 --> Cable ISP DNS
            24.141.22.49 --> Cable ISP DNS

In HA Server (secondary DNS), I have these:

192.168.1.103 --> Domain Controller (primary DNS)

I think it's okay but just wanted to make sure, thanks again for your assistance.

Simon

Comment

htsource I just got home from a long weekend in Chicago. I will review your post tomorrow morning and get back to you. For you primary internal dns server, it should point to itself, and the seconday dns server should point to your primary internal dns server.. again tomorrow morning i will post the correct settings or at least how i would configure it..

Jeff

Comment

htsource I went ahead and detailed how I think your internal dns should be setup. If you have any questions post a reply or email me. I will be out tonight and possibily tomorrow camping, so it might be a day or two before I can answer your questions.. Well unless I take my WAP phone w/me!!

Jeff
                Attached Files

Comment

Jeff,

Thanks for your response and I apprecaite all your help.

I just made all the changes like you said. There's something I just wanted to make sure, the primary DNS server is 192.168.1.103, secondary is 192.168.1.106.

In my primary DNS Server TCP/IP setting, I have the following:

I'm not sure if I should use 192.168.1.103 instead of 127.0.0.1? Will there be any performance issues?

In my secondary DNS server TCP/IP setting, I have these:

For secondary DNS server, should I enable "forwarders" like the pirmary and put ISP's DNS entries?

All my clients are using DHCP and for DNS servers, they all have 192.168.1.103 as primary and 192.168.1.106 as secondary.

Sorry I'm asking too many questions and enjoy your camping and don't worry about me [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Thanks again,

Simon

Comment

This is how your setup should be:

In your primary DNS Server TCP/IP setting, you should have the following:

In your secondary DNS server TCP/IP setting, you should have these:

On the primary dns server, enable forwarders and put in your isp's dns servers.

On the seconday dns server, go ahead and enable the forwarder and put in your primary dns server for your internal network.

Hope that helps..

jeff

Comment

Hi Jeff,

Thank you very much for your response, everything seems to work fine with your suggestion.

Simon

Comment

Hey, np @ all just glad I could lend a hand!!

Jeff

Comment

Jeff,

Sorry to bother you again but I can't figure this one out. Currently I have my DNS setup to resolve names inside and outside the network. They work fine for all my IIS web sites. However, for the DNS to work properly, I need to use port 80 for web sites, am I right?

Now if I want to resolve my Homeseer web, how do I do it? Homeseer web can't be sitting on port 80 as this creates conflict with IIS.

In IIS, there's a setting to define the IP for the web site. Can I just assign an IP that doesn't exist? I think I tried it once but it didn't work.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Simon

Comment

DNS's only job is name to ip resolution. The port is a tcp/ip job. Example. Here at home i have iis on port 80, apache testing on port 85 and homeseer on port 627. I just setup my intranet pages with links to homeseer on port 627. Let me know if this helps out..

Jeff

Comment

If you're trying to get HS and IIS to both run on the same port, it's not going to ever work, unfortunately.

All host headers does is allow IIS to route requests for multiple domains/sub-domains to different virtual IIS servers.

As Jeff pointed out, the port is not part of this at all - DNS resolves names, the client and server have to agree on which port to use. If your non-80 ports are blocked from work, you'll have to choose which server you want to see (or use the HTTP Tunnel Jeff mentioned).

Comment

Working...
                              X