Weather Underground

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weather Underground

Does anyone know if this still works with mcsSprinkler? I have mine set for WU since 2011 and this year my my system wants to water even if we just had tons of rain. This didn't happen previously and I haven't made any changes. Makes me wonder if mcsSpinkler cannot reach this... I haven't received any notifications saying that it can't get the weather....

Robert
    HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Use the Evaluate Weather Download from the Weather Setup page to assess if your feeds are still active.

Comment

Michael,

Do you plan on reworking the use of forecast data currently from WU? As you are aware, the api will not be available in the foreseeable future.

Just wondering how you're going to handle this?

Robert
      HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

mcsSprinklers has three free options for forecast. In prior years it also had MSNBC and WeatherChannel. MSNBC shut down and WeatherChannel became paid-only. If WU only changes the license terms and leaves the API alone then I will leave it to allow the user the option of using WU on the paid model. If the API changes then I will remove it.

More problematic is current conditions. AWS (Weatherbug) has already been removed and if WU goes the same route then I do not know of any current conditions over internet that are free. Perhaps others do and then I can provide that source.

Comment

Have a look at Open Weather Map API it still has a free option
          https://openweathermap.org/appid#get

Comment

Will do. Thank You.

Comment

That's great news. Thanks guys!

Robert

Comment

I have Open Weather Map implemented in mcsSprinklers and going through the debug cycle now. A couple differences make it a little awkward.

Rainfall is reported in amount fallen in last 3 hours. Other sources have been hourly or daily totals.

Forecast rainfall is also done in the same 3 hour intervals and a forecast is provided every three hours for five days.

Units appear to be standard for everywhere, but not clear on this yet. Kelvin is used for temperature. Rainfall in amounts like 0.04 in forecast and 3 in current conditions leave me questioning what the units are. Could be in mm, but 0.04 mm is very small.

There does not appear to be any ET or Solar Radiation and UV is advertised as experimental. Without some source of sunlight intensity this will leave the soil moisture calculation wanting.

The good thing is that the license is liberal so download rates should not become an issue as it had been for some using WU.

As a note, my WU stations continue to report with the license key I have had for some years.

Comment

Michael,

Trying to switch from WU to OWM but was unsure if the api key gives us a 5 day forecast. Additionally, what are the units? Imperial or metric and is this configurable?

I've obtained the free api key, but am unsure if this is for current conditions, forecasts or both?

As you can see, the numbers aren't anywhere near the same between WU and OWM.

BTW, are the optional weather sources ending too.

I'm not too worried about current conditions since I recently picked up a WS-1550-ip ambient weather station and plugin, but I'd like to keep the forecasting going.

Robert
                  Attached Files

Comment

If memory serves me correctly the Download test shows the raw download. What goes into devices uses the Other page settings for C/F etc.
                    There are three URLs that may be used for OWM. Current, Forecast and UV. One license for all.
                    AWS, WeatherChannel, MSNBC and now WeatherUnderground have come and gone with mcsSprinklers. I am not aware of any others that are pending closure.

Comment

Working...
                    X