Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PANIC! Changed ISP and router, HStouch cannot connect LOCALLY - Solved!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PANIC! Changed ISP and router, HStouch cannot connect LOCALLY - Solved!

I just changed ISP and the router connected to it. I've set up everything just like the old one, and everything seems to work perfectly, except for one important detail:

HStouch cannot connect at all! Even locally!

I'm lost! What is going on?!?
    HSPro 3.0.0.458, Z-NET with Z-wave plugin 3.0.1.190, RFXCOM + 2x RFXtrx433E, HSTouch, Squeezebox plugin, iTach IP/WF2IR & GC-100-6 with UltraGCIR, BLDenon, NetcamStudio, Jon00s Webpage builder, Harmony Hub plugin, SCSIP (with FreePBX), Arduino plugin, IFTTT, Pushalot plugin, Device History plugin.
    Running on Windows 10 (64) virtualized
    on ESXi (Fujitsu Primergy TX150 S8).
    WinSeer (for Win10) - TextSeer - FitbitSeer - HSPI_MoskusSample

Are you Norwegian (or Scandinavian) and getting started with HomeSeer? Read the "HomeSeer School"!

Are you using the internal or external IP? I have had routers that will allow you to use the external IP locally, and some that haven't, and I have had to use a different IP for internal and external access

Comment

I should have mentioned this: All computers have static assigned IPs, and the HStouch clients are set up to use the local IP of the HomeSeer computer (192.168.0.100).

And everything else works!
      HSPro 3.0.0.458, Z-NET with Z-wave plugin 3.0.1.190, RFXCOM + 2x RFXtrx433E, HSTouch, Squeezebox plugin, iTach IP/WF2IR & GC-100-6 with UltraGCIR, BLDenon, NetcamStudio, Jon00s Webpage builder, Harmony Hub plugin, SCSIP (with FreePBX), Arduino plugin, IFTTT, Pushalot plugin, Device History plugin.

Are you Norwegian (or Scandinavian) and getting started with HomeSeer? Read the "HomeSeer School"!

Comment

... sigh! It turned out that the SqueezeBox plugin was pinging the LMS service running on another machine, but that service was locked up.

I restarted it and everything went back to normal.

Comment

Good news Magnus!

Here I have the squeezebox server running with the mythtv server on a Ubuntu 64 bit setup. I've not been paying attention lately relating to the SB player modifications of installation of command lines to the menus in the player (IE: getting it all on one OS with a Chomium Browser function) which essentially would provide you with remote control (of the SB players via Homeseer) and a view of the homeseer server via a browser running on the SB player in only 1Gb of memory using an Ubuntu "lite" OS.

Just starting to play with a new firewall running PFSense (new box) and testing Smoothwall Express 3.1 (many new features) using a core duo and multiple Intel Gb Nics as the ISP modem now has Gb out (new thing with the Motorola modem). The downloading speeds are still under a 100Mbps but faster is coming soon.

I am am also now moving from "dumb" Gb switches to managable Gb switches. The dumb (but cheap Gb) switches are just not doing their job anymore.

a side rant.....

I did find an issue with the Joggler Seabios'd USB to RJ45 devices that I have been using. They are clones of the MAC USB to RJ45 devices which cloned the ASIC ASIX OS but on a junkly replicate capping the speeds to 5Mbps. The built in Gb Nics work fine for everything but XP (all the Linux OS stuff works great). The larger Openframe 2 devices utilize a mini pcie wireless card which is faster than the USB wireless card. I have been testing using the Broadcom Crystal HD mini pcie card for 1080 streaming and that works even better that the currently utilized Intel video drivers. Audio is using a via USB to digital audio interface these days.
          Last edited by Pete; July 6, 2013, 12:05 PM.
          - Pete

Auto mator
          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
          Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
          HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
          HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
            I am am also now moving from "dumb" Gb switches to managable Gb switches. The dumb (but cheap Gb) switches are just not doing their job anymore.
            I'm in the process of "investing" in a more capable VMware server with a SAN box for storage, and therefore network speed could be an issue.

How does a managed switch work, and how does it differ from an unmanaget one?

Comment

Managed versus unmanaged allows me to optimize my network a bit more. Recently been paying attention to the network traffic for various devices a bit more granularly.

IE: streaming media boxes, touch screen throughput, HD IP cams, et al. Attempting to also wean any automation from becoming internet dependant to be functional. (and now building a failover to my internet connection - old house had broadband and dsl via two service providers).

A clip and paste:

Bang for the Buck
              One of the biggest differences among different types of switches is the level of manageability and control. While unmanaged switches have none and web-managed switches have some, fully managed switches provide the greatest level of management and control. For example, fully managed switches have a command-line interface, which networking engineers can use, along with scripting tools, to send out configurations or status updates to many devices simultaneously.

Fully managed switches also support the Simple Network Management Protocol, which allows third-party or vendor-specific network applications to communicate and provide status information on all connected devices. It enables these applications to provide a single view of the entire infrastructure, which lets a network manager proactively identify and solve problems more effectively and quickly, explains Steve Brar, global product manager for HP Networking.

The ability to prioritize traffic is a major benefit of fully managed switches. It’s one that can sway an undecided IT manager to go with a managed switch. This is especially useful when dealing with delay-sensitive or time-sensitive traffic, such as a voice conversation.

With traffic prioritization, users can be assured that Voice over IP calls are delivered without being choppy, and that video streaming is smooth. With traffic prioritization, for example, a managed switch will automatically detect that a VoIP phone is plugged into the switch, create a VLAN for it and prioritize that traffic over other traffic.

“If your switch is processing a large e-mail attachment and it can’t differentiate VoIP phone data packets, the quality of that phone call will suffer,” explains Peter Newton, director of product management at NETGEAR. “The switch has to be able to put the voice packets in front of the data packets.”
              http://http://www.biztechmagazine.co...d-vs-unmanaged

New managed Gb switches are now more reasonable in cost than in the past.

I am also physically / logically separating pieces of it. I have moved the HAI panel and connected IP touchscreens to a separate switch (and network) and created rules for access to IP cameras on another network. I also bounced one unmanaged Gb switch a few nights ago that was streaming an HD movie from the NAS; same said switch today is plugged into the CCTV box (Zoneminder) which now generates much more traffic recording HD video from HD IP cams. (device count though now is above 50 - /25 subnet is too small these days).
              Last edited by Pete; July 8, 2013, 07:30 AM.
              - Pete

Auto mator
              Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
              Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
              HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
              HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Working...
              X