www.homeseer.com    

Go Back   HomeSeer Message Board > Security Systems Plug-ins > Security System Discussion > HAI/OMNI Panel for HS3 Plug-in (rmasonjr)

HAI/OMNI Panel for HS3 Plug-in (rmasonjr) Discussion about Rob Mason's HAI/OMNI Panel Plug-in

Old February 26th, 2018, 12:21 AM
Seer Deluxe

Auto Update the Omni Panel Clock

Can the HAI/OMNI plugin, on a regular basis, automatically update the panel's clock to match the local time of the HS3 controller (Zee or Windows?) Once an hour, every 12 hours, or even fixed at once a day would be fine.

If not, would you please add it as a feature request?

Thanks!
Old February 26th, 2018, 07:34 AM
Seer Deluxe

This is how I do it.
Attached Images

Old March 3rd, 2018, 10:03 AM
Seer

Doesn't work for me

I added an event that looks almost like yours months ago (mine triggers at a fixed time). It never worked.

Bob
Old March 3rd, 2018, 12:23 PM
Seer Deluxe

Strange. Works like a charm for me. Only sets hours and minutes, seconds get reset to zero. Close enough for government work.
Old March 4th, 2018, 09:52 AM
Seer

I did this some time ago because of the drifting clock. I have subsequently removed the event. For some reason that I couldn't track down is it was always an hour off. I've checked everything is the right time zone, etc. Maybe I'll give it another try.

It does amaze me though that the OMNIPRO II can't accurately keep time or even synch itself to the internet.
Old March 4th, 2018, 10:21 AM
OverSeer

Here installed a micro router (1" X 2") between the OmniPro 2 panel and the rest of the network. Basically this device has stopped any clock drift. That said still wanting to turn the device in to a basic alarm and texting functioning device. The device has two network ports, wireless and exposed GPIO pins and even room for a small arduino inside of it.

It is running Linux Openwrt and has a bit of programming space on it for some LUA stuff with connectivity to the panel for basic functions.

There is LUA / C stuff out there for the OmniPro panels written for the MiCasa Verde box (running a custom OpenWRT OS).

The device serves as an update to the panel but not really software like the OmniPlugin to manage / interact with the panel.

Automator

HS3 Pro & Lite Edition Beta 3.0.0.435

HS3 Wintel Touch | Ubuntu 16.04 64 bit | Oracle Windows Virtual Box ==> for Wintel only SAPI and HS3 plugins | Speech - Microsoft SAPI - Neospeech - Amazon Echo | Hardware | Haswell Intel iSeries 3 - 16Gb | Pine64 - 2Gb computers | Openpeak Intel Atom SoC tabletop touchscreens (15 HS tabletop tablets) | Touchscreens - Windows embedded POE connected |Light switches - X10,UPB, ZWave and Zigbee | Firewall - PFSense - 2 WAN plus 4 LAN interfaces | Network - Gb managed switches / POE WAP(s) | CCTV - Zoneminder IPHD cams - variety | Audio - Russound - AB8SS | Security - Leviton HAI Omni Pro 2 | Weather - Davis Vantage Vue - MeteoStick - WeeWx | 1-Wire - AAG, Midon and HB | OWFS - Mosquitto - Node Red - Python - RPi Stretch - OpenWRT

Last edited by Pete; March 4th, 2018 at 10:41 AM.
Old March 5th, 2018, 10:12 AM
OverSeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by feobrien View Post
I did this some time ago because of the drifting clock. I have subsequently removed the event. For some reason that I couldn't track down is it was always an hour off. I've checked everything is the right time zone, etc. Maybe I'll give it another try.

It does amaze me though that the OMNIPRO II can't accurately keep time or even synch itself to the internet.
Yeah, this is one of the first features I implemented for the same reason...

HS3Pro Running on a Raspberry Pi2 (Raspbian)
64 Z-Wave Nodes, 162 Events, 293 Devices
UPB modules via OMNI plugin/panel
Plugins: Z-Wave, BLRF, OMNI, HSTouch, weatherXML, EasyTrigger
HSTouch Clients: 3 Android, 1 Joggler
Old March 5th, 2018, 12:33 PM
OverSeer

When the network port to serial bus issue gets really bad then the OmniPro 2 clock changes by the minute. Over time it'll take down the bus and lock up the network port.

The only solution tested that worked was doing a layer-2/layer-3 thing via a router. (VLANs, Hubs, et al did not work for me).

Repeat syncing of the time does not fix the core issue as the time off sync is more a symptom of the issue.

Leviton's solution was to add / sell an Email board that works via a serial port and uses the network for time sync. There have been issues with the Leviton Email board and a few firmware updates of the HAI/Leviton Email board. The Email board has not fixed the core issue; well too the issue starts on the serial bus but it looks innocuous when affecting serial devices.

Last edited by Pete; March 5th, 2018 at 07:26 PM.
Old March 17th, 2018, 09:49 AM
Seer Deluxe

I have my Omni plugged into a managed switch. The Omni port the router is plugged into is set to 10gbs half/duplex. The clock drifts so bad I still have the run the Sync Clock event on the Zee every hour to keep the time anywhere near accurate.
Old March 23rd, 2018, 04:40 PM
Seer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
When the network port to serial bus issue gets really bad then the OmniPro 2 clock changes by the minute. Over time it'll take down the bus and lock up the network port.

The only solution tested that worked was doing a layer-2/layer-3 thing via a router. (VLANs, Hubs, et al did not work for me).

Repeat syncing of the time does not fix the core issue as the time off sync is more a symptom of the issue.

Leviton's solution was to add / sell an Email board that works via a serial port and uses the network for time sync. There have been issues with the Leviton Email board and a few firmware updates of the HAI/Leviton Email board. The Email board has not fixed the core issue; well too the issue starts on the serial bus but it looks innocuous when affecting serial devices.

I'll never understand why the Omni can't keep the time by itself. My wife's great grandfather had an alarm clock, withg great big numbers that probably cost less than 10 dollars at walgreens. It could keep time perfectly.
Old March 23rd, 2018, 05:24 PM
Seer Deluxe

Quote:

Pete, would please explain or show a picture/diagram of a "layer-2/layer-3 thing via a router?" Thanks!

Old March 23rd, 2018, 05:37 PM
OverSeer

The clock of the board and design dates back to the 1990's. The panel then only used the serial bus. The ethernet add to the board was an il concieved engineering design and worked fine in the first days of networking. That said the design though as implemented in the early 2000's was about 10 years too late and still utilized Ethernet standards from the 1990's.

The issue here cropped up as my home network started to over 50 devices and much more traffic.

I initially tested using an old Linksys router but it was too big to fit inside of my OmniPro Panel.

Miniaturized it using a micro travel router with two ethernet ports on it and updating it with an OpenWRT OS. The router's wireless is disabled. Power to the router's mini USB port comes from the panel (12VDC to 5VDC). The microrouter is just an el cheapo which copied the current crop of micro travel routers. It's a computer today with little ram and a tiny CPU. I have added the smalled RTC with battery that I can find. It runs apache2 and a few programs.

So what I am writing about is that you can fix your network issues / time issues / serial bus issues using a microrouter (you do not even have to change the OS) powered by the panel voltage for some $20.

Checking on Amazon the Nexx router is no longer being sold. On Ebay found them for $17 with free shipping.he
The Nexx router uses a MediaTek MT7620n, runs at 580Mhz with 64Mb of DDR RAM and 8Mb of flash memory,

Name:  nexxwt3020.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  30.1 KB

plus

Name:  power1.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  58.3 KB

plus smallest 12VDC to 5VDC converter you can find. These are on ebay from around $5 up.

Name:  power.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  36.6 KB

1 short cat5x cable (12" would work). $1 or so from monoprice

Recently switched from using the power from the OmniPro 2 (12VDC) to using a POE switch in the adjacent panel (Leviton 42" panel). I am using a Linksys power injector and going to try the smaller one that I have seen on Amazon posted over here.

Your post has me ordering one today from Amazon.

I have posted pictures here. The router sits between the main panel (and 2 expansion interfaces just fine).

A router is a router is a router. My preferences for tinkering has been using OpenWRT which is kind of a miniature OS for these devices.

SSH to the router shows this:

Code:
BusyBox v1.23.2 (2015-07-25 03:03:02 CEST) built-in shell (ash)

_______                     ________        __
 |       |.-----.-----.-----.|  |  |  |.----.|  |_
 |   -   ||  _  |  -__|     ||  |  |  ||   _||   _|
 |_______||   __|_____|__|__||________||__|  |____|
          |__| W I R E L E S S   F R E E D O M
 -----------------------------------------------------
 CHAOS CALMER (15.05, r46767)
  * 1 1/2 oz Gin            Shake with a glassful
  * 1/4 oz Triple Sec       of broken ice and pour
  * 3/4 oz Lime Juice       unstrained into a goblet.
  * 1 1/2 oz Orange Juice
  * 1 tsp. Grenadine Syrup
root@ICS-HAI:~#
The Openwrt / web interface lets me sniff all of the traffic between the OP2 and the main network.

Here is a picture of the combo NEXX microrouter, 2 network and one micro USB power cable going to a TP-Link POE splitter. Note that the 12VDC to 5VDC transformer was smaller than the POE splitter. Going to a smaller POE splitter. The USB port to serial Omni port has been tested to work fine.

Name:  micro-router.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  17.6 KB

Last edited by Pete; March 25th, 2018 at 02:33 PM.
Old March 23rd, 2018, 06:29 PM
Seer

Quote:
The clock of the board and design dates back to the 1990's. The panel then only used the serial bus. The ethernet add to the board was an il concieved engineering design and worked fine in the first days of networking. That said the design though as implemented in the early 2000's was about 10 years too late and still utilized Ethernet standards from the 1990's.

The issue here cropped up as my home network started to over 50 devices and much more traffic.

I initially tested using an old Linksys router but it was too big to fit inside of my OmniPro Panel.

Miniaturized it using a micro travel router with two ethernet ports on it and updating it with an OpenWRT OS. The router's wireless is disabled. Power to the router's mini USB port comes from the panel (12VDC to 5VDC). The microrouter is just an el cheapo which copied the current crop of micro travel routers. It's a computer today with little ram and a tiny CPU. I have added the smalled RTC with battery that I can find. It runs apache2 and a few programs.

So what I am writing about is that you can fix your network issues / time issues / serial bus issues using a microrouter (you do not even have to change the OS) powered by the panel voltage for some $20.

Checking on Amazon the Nexx router is no longer being sold. On Ebay found them for $17 with free shipping.

Attachment 67662

plus

Attachment 67663

plus smallest 12VDC to 5VDC converter you can find. These are on ebay from around $5 up.

Attachment 67664

1 short cat5x cable (12" would work). $1 or so from monoprice

Recently switched from using the power from the OmniPro 2 (12VDC) to using a POE switch in the adjacent panel (Leviton 42" panel). I am using a Linksys power injector and going to try the smaller one that I have seen on Amazon posted over here.

Your post has me ordering one today from Amazon.

I have posted pictures here. The router sits between the main panel (and 2 expansion interfaces just fine).

A router is a router is a router. My preferences for tinkering has been using OpenWRT which is kind of a miniature OS for these devices.

SSH to the router shows this:

Code:
BusyBox v1.23.2 (2015-07-25 03:03:02 CEST) built-in shell (ash)

_______                     ________        __
 |       |.-----.-----.-----.|  |  |  |.----.|  |_
 |   -   ||  _  |  -__|     ||  |  |  ||   _||   _|
 |_______||   __|_____|__|__||________||__|  |____|
          |__| W I R E L E S S   F R E E D O M
 CHAOS CALMER (15.05, r46767)
  * 1 1/2 oz Gin            Shake with a glassful
  * 1/4 oz Triple Sec       of broken ice and pour
  * 3/4 oz Lime Juice       unstrained into a goblet.
  * 1 1/2 oz Orange Juice
  * 1 tsp. Grenadine Syrup
root@ICS-HAI:~#
The Openwrt / web interface lets me sniff all of the traffic between the OP2 and the main network.

nice job pete!!

i like the chaos calmer recipe too. i have the 3 kids tonight all under the age of 6..
Old March 23rd, 2018, 08:27 PM
OverSeer

Yes OpenWRT has been around a long time.

Vera automation controllers are built on similiar chip set routers using OpenWRT. (very low power tiny CPU and little bit of RAM).

There is an OmniPro plugin for Vera and it is written mostly in LUA (C). The Almond plus combo router, touchscreen automation controller is built on the OpenWRT OS.

The Smartthings hub V2 today is running embedded Linux on a PIC32 MX695F512H (512 KB Flash, 128 KB RAM).

You could turn the Openwrt micro router into a mini Leviton Email board writing the code that is being utilized (and you can utilize a serial port on the microrouter but it would be better to utilize the ethernet port).

Yes here 4, 6, 11 year old grandsons and a new grandaughter in the oven.
Old March 24th, 2018, 09:28 AM
Seer Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikej8111 View Post
nice job pete!!

i like the chaos calmer recipe too. i have the 3 kids tonight all under the age of 6..
I ordered one of the mini routers and power supply. I'll post back my results once I have it working. I'm assuming the local LAN goes in the WAN port and the Omni connects to the LAN port on the router? Also, what about the NAT & DHCP settings of the mini router? Won't those need to need to be disabled in order to allow the local LAN to identify the Omni?
Thanks, any specific help would be appreciated.
Old March 24th, 2018, 10:05 AM
OverSeer

What specfic model and version did you purchase? Are you going to install OpenWRT on it?

Read this on installing OpenWRT.

Nexx WT3020

I'm assuming the local LAN goes in the WAN port and the Omni connects to the LAN port on the router?

yes

You can be very flexible with the IPs. I left the WAN side IP as the old Omni IP so that I did not have to reconfigure Omnitouch IP's, CCTV, Omni Plugin and other stuff pointing to the Omni.

what about the NAT & DHCP settings of the mini router?

Yeah disable DHCP on the LAN side. Disable wireless (uses less power).

It is up to you how you want your WAN side to be. I configured it here with a static IP address on the WAN to be part of the main LAN.

So here I made the new WAN IP the same as the old Omni Pro ethernet IP and changed the OmniPro IP to a new IP that matches the new LAN side of the router.

I port forward 80, 22 and 4369. Note: this was for OpenWRT and PCA access and SSH access.
For OpenWRT you can update or add plugins via the web interface or command line interface.

I left the LAN side IP and subnet as default and shut off DHCP

192.168.1.1, 255.255.255.0, gateway at 192.168.1.1

Changed the Omni IP to 192.168.1.2

All IPV6 is off on LAN/WAN sides.

Note that this device has now been up over a year and doing fine.

Last edited by Pete; March 24th, 2018 at 10:27 AM.
Old March 24th, 2018, 05:06 PM
Seer Deluxe

Quote:
What specfic model and version did you purchase? Are you going to install OpenWRT on it?

Read this on installing OpenWRT.

Nexx WT3020

I'm assuming the local LAN goes in the WAN port and the Omni connects to the LAN port on the router?

yes

You can be very flexible with the IPs. I left the WAN side IP as the old Omni IP so that I did not have to reconfigure Omnitouch IP's, CCTV, Omni Plugin and other stuff pointing to the Omni.

what about the NAT & DHCP settings of the mini router?

Yeah disable DHCP on the LAN side. Disable wireless (uses less power).

It is up to you how you want your WAN side to be. I configured it here with a static IP address on the WAN to be part of the main LAN.

So here I made the new WAN IP the same as the old Omni Pro ethernet IP and changed the OmniPro IP to a new IP that matches the new LAN side of the router.

I port forward 80, 22 and 4369. Note: this was for OpenWRT and PCA access and SSH access.
For OpenWRT you can update or add plugins via the web interface or command line interface.

I left the LAN side IP and subnet as default and shut off DHCP

192.168.1.1, 255.255.255.0, gateway at 192.168.1.1

Changed the Omni IP to 192.168.1.2

All IPV6 is off on LAN/WAN sides.

Note that this device has now been up over a year and doing fine.
Thanks Pete! I'll report back after I receive the micro router and get everything working.
Old April 8th, 2018, 01:04 PM
Seer Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by avpman View Post
Thanks Pete! I'll report back after I receive the micro router and get everything working.
Got the router suggested NEXX WT3020
  • No option to turn off wireless
  • No option to port forward
At least that I could find under regular or advanced settings

Old April 8th, 2018, 02:16 PM
Seer Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by avpman View Post
Got the router suggested NEXX WT3020
  • No option to turn off wireless
  • No option to port forward
At least that I could find under regular or advanced settings

I loaded the latest OpenWRT firmware and I'm now able to do what I need (so far.)
Old April 9th, 2018, 11:22 AM
OverSeer

Good news avpman.

Don't recall if I ever used the built in Nexx WT3020 firmware and here immediately went to using OpenWRT. Same here for the TP-Link and GL-AR300M microrouters that I am tinkering with.

The GL-AR300M microrouter has the companies GUI and OpenWRT on it.

That too is the same for the Securifi combo touchscreen WAP, Router, automation box.

Next steps are to:

1 - configure a small network on the LAN side shutting off DHCP
2 - you can leave the WAN side to using DHCP or create a static DHCP address or use a static IP address for your main network. Ideally you want to give it your current Omni Pro ethernet address.
3 - Configure pass through ports of 80, 22 and Omni Pro port.
4 - configure you OmniPro IP address to one on the LAN side of the new microrouter.

End result is that you will be accessing your OP2 with the same IP as before and your time should remain stable without having to sync it multiple times in a day.