Newbie S2 beginner's questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie S2 beginner's questions.

I'm completely new here so please bear with me. I have a working X10 system with a few modules and switches. Some macros and timers. I'm thinking of getting a Zee S2 to control the X10 stuff and slowly start adding Z-wave controls. IT seems it will handle five plugins and I would need the zwave,x10,touch plugins to start. Is there anything else I NEED? The software is built-in as far as I can tell.

I also just ordered an Echo dot and wonder if it will work with the S2 just like with the more powerful controllers and will it also need a plugin or just a skill on the Alexa side?

I don't see a HS for Dummies sub-forum but I think I'm going to need one real soon.

Thanks in advance.

Fernando

Nope - that is all you need for Z-Wave lighting control. What X10 interface are you currently using?

For Alexa Smart Home connectivity, you just need a myhs account (free) and no plugin is required.
    Last edited by rmasonjr; December 6, 2016, 06:02 PM. Reason: words
    HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
    54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
    Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Thanks for the quick response. I have a CM15A which controls about ten modules and dimmer switches all with LED lights. I don't have flickering issues or lack of dimming so I'm inclined to leave it all alone. I have a couple of timers for XMAS lights or night lights and macros for alternating lights when we go away for extended periods. Besides, the X10 stuff is quite a bit cheaper than other protocols.

I also have the X10 SC1200 as my home security system. I don't expect the SC1200 to pair up to the HomeSeer but the door sensors and the water level sensors register properly in Active Home Pro so maybe HomeSeer will see them, maybe not.

Some of the newer stuff for zwave is downright fascinating so I'll slowly get away from X10 as pieces fail, but if everything continues working, why change?

Comment

WOW! I got the unit, plugged it in, hooked up HDMI and was eventually offered a login prompt. But I had no way of typing since the instructions don't say to hook up a keyboard and mouse. The instructions don't show anything default so I searched around the forum and eventually went to the PC and managed to stumble through by typing just about every imaginable combination of default logins and passwords. WHEW!

I sure hope it gets easier from here. But I don't expect it to.

Comment

You really shouldn't need to access the command line. Just bring up a browser and go to find.homeseer.com and it should find the s2 if it is connected to your network.

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

Comment

I "assumed" that somehow the browser would magically appear. I've now unplugged the wireless keyboard and mouse.

I was able to register online and see that I can access via 192.168.1.xx

Now to add my first device.

Comment

Twice now, my S2 has gone offline overnight. It seems this has something to do with the myhs.homeseer.com having issues though I'm not sure.

I have a network watcher utility that shows what's connected at my end and twice now, 192.168.1.xx is not listed as if it's disconnected completely. Both times I have unplugged power and restarted the S2 and everything seems fine. I like that I'm technically not on a cloud server, but it doesn't do much good if the unit is going down for some reason.

Not being a Linux guru, what's the best way to try and figure this out? FWIW, everything else on my end appears to be working fine.

Comment

So far so good. Two ZWave devices and a half dozen X10 things are connected. I set a fixed IP and no more drops.

Since the unit is on the same "network" as my other two PCs is there a way to "browse" directories on the Zee. I simply want to copy some graphics I have from my main PC to the Zee.

Or better yet, while in HS3 on the Zee and selecting an image, is there a way to go to my network?

Comment

Originally posted by racerfern View Post

Since the unit is on the same "network" as my other two PCs is there a way to "browse" directories on the Zee. I simply want to copy some graphics I have from my main PC to the Zee.
                  Yes - download WinSCP and it gives you a windows-style interface to drag/drop files onto your Zee...

Comment

I installed WinSCP and I can get to the username but can't get past the password. Is this the same password I would assign under Tools > Network in HS3?

Apparently, I can type anything for a username and it still goes to password. But no joy from there.???

Comment

I used to have one device with Node 1 and ZWave. I guess this was the basis for communication with all the other zwave devices. After struggling through getting a few things to work, backing up and restoring the interface a few times, I now have five of them and I get the message in the screenshot when I go to the zwave tab. I "assume" I only need one, but I don't know how to get rid of them and I don't see a difference to know which one to keep in case there is a difference. They all have the network friendly name.

Suggestions please.

Comment

Sorry to bump but for some unknown reason, the Zee restarted by itself yesterday evening. Somehow it jumped to a different ip address so I couldn't access it until I figured that out. I purposely restarted and it went back to its assigned IP.

However, in the process I have one more instance of zwave node 1, internal. I'm up to six. How can I delete the extras please?

Comment

Working...
                        X