Plugin to monitor Z-Wave battery device Health - CLOSED

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by palli View Post
    I cannot change to Log 0 or get a log entry to that effect.
    Log1 & 2 ok

Comment

Yes 0 remains selected, but I am swamped by these reports. So is this a quirk of the motion sensors reporting?
      an-12 15:39:39
      Z-Wave Z-Wave.me UZB: Z-Wave Wake-Up 'No More Info' Notification sent to Node 26(Front Garden Z-Wave Front Door Lights Sensor - 26 Root). Jan-12 15:39:39 Z-Wave Wake-Up Util Proc for (Front Garden Z-Wave Front Door Lights Sensor - 26 Root) handling: Poll Device Jan-12 15:39:39 Z-Wave Wake-Up Util Proc for (Front Garden Z-Wave Front Door Lights Sensor - 26 Root) handling: Poll Device Jan-12 15:39:39 Z-Wave Z-Wave.me UZB: Wake-Up Notification Processing for Node 26 (Front Garden Z-Wave Front Door Lights Sensor - 26 Root) Jan-12 15:39:39 Z-Wave Z-Wave.me UZB: Z-Wave Wake-Up Notification Received for Node 26 Jan-12 15:38:13 Z-Wave Z-Wave.me UZB: Z-Wave Wake-Up 'No More Info' Notification sent to Node 36(Bathroom Z-Wave Bathroon Sensor - 36). Jan-12 15:38:13 Z-Wave Wake-Up Util Proc for (Bathroom Z-Wave Bathroon Sensor - 36) handling: Poll Device Jan-12 15:38:13 Z-Wave Wake-Up Util Proc for (Bathroom Z-Wave Bathroon Sensor - 36) handling: Poll Device Jan-12 15:38:13 Z-Wave Wake-Up Util Proc for (Bathroom Z-Wave Bathroon Sensor - 36) handling: Poll Device Jan-12 15:38:13 Z-Wave Z-Wave.me UZB: Wake-Up Notification Processing for Node 36 (Bathroom Z-Wave Bathroon Sensor - 36) Jan-12 15:38:13

Comment

Originally posted by palli View Post
        Yes 0 remains selected, but I am swamped by these reports. So is this a quirk of the motion sensors reporting?
        an-12 15:39:39
        Z-Wave Z-Wave.me UZB: Z-Wave Wake-Up 'No More Info' Notification sent to Node 26(Front Garden Z-Wave Front Door Lights Sensor - 26 Root). Jan-12 15:39:39 Z-Wave Wake-Up Util Proc for (Front Garden Z-Wave Front Door Lights Sensor - 26 Root) handling: Poll Device Jan-12 15:39:39 Z-Wave Wake-Up Util Proc for (Front Garden Z-Wave Front Door Lights Sensor - 26 Root) handling: Poll Device Jan-12 15:39:39 Z-Wave Z-Wave.me UZB: Wake-Up Notification Processing for Node 26 (Front Garden Z-Wave Front Door Lights Sensor - 26 Root) Jan-12 15:39:39 Z-Wave Z-Wave.me UZB: Z-Wave Wake-Up Notification Received for Node 26 Jan-12 15:38:13 Z-Wave Z-Wave.me UZB: Z-Wave Wake-Up 'No More Info' Notification sent to Node 36(Bathroom Z-Wave Bathroon Sensor - 36). Jan-12 15:38:13 Z-Wave Wake-Up Util Proc for (Bathroom Z-Wave Bathroon Sensor - 36) handling: Poll Device Jan-12 15:38:13 Z-Wave Wake-Up Util Proc for (Bathroom Z-Wave Bathroon Sensor - 36) handling: Poll Device Jan-12 15:38:13 Z-Wave Wake-Up Util Proc for (Bathroom Z-Wave Bathroon Sensor - 36) handling: Poll Device Jan-12 15:38:13 Z-Wave Z-Wave.me UZB: Wake-Up Notification Processing for Node 36 (Bathroom Z-Wave Bathroon Sensor - 36) Jan-12 15:38:13
        Yes, those aren't generated by the Health plugin they are messages from the Z-Wave plugin. It looks like it is doing some polling when the device wakes up. What type of sensors are these? I wouldn't have thought you needed to poll anything on a motion sensor.

Most messages in the Log from this plugin will show type SDJ-Health. The only exception is the simulated wake-up log message if turned on but these aren't them.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Tomgru View Post
          Not sure how you would do this, but hey, I can't write a plugin anyway :-)

but one thought on battery levels.... I have same problem. My motion detectors are great, vents pretty bad, etc. I also notice that one day can be 50%... stay that way for weeks, then drop to 5% over a day.

I remember an old cell phone used to have a setting to let me know if the battery started draining more quickly that usual. Maybe you could set a threshold on depletion rate. sort of like:

IF battery goes below 15%, notify me
          OR IF battery changes more 10% in 24 hours, notify me.

just a thought.
          An interesting idea and probably possible, although might be taking things a bit far in terms of sophistication considering the rather random nature of the battery reporting. Phones can continually monitor their battery whereas these device are reporting at discrete and relatively large time intervals. I'll put it on my list to consider.

Steve

Comment

Since version 3.0.2.1 seems to be working ok I have added it to message #7 of this thread.

Steve

Comment

I just got this installed last night finally. . .waited and finally saw one device register itself (door sensor). . .my door locks and smoke detectors never checked in. . .is there something specific I need to do to include those in the monitoring? I tried to read through most of the documentation, but it was late. . .

Comment

Originally posted by TechFan View Post
                I just got this installed last night finally. . .waited and finally saw one device register itself (door sensor). . .my door locks and smoke detectors never checked in. . .is there something specific I need to do to include those in the monitoring? I tried to read through most of the documentation, but it was late. . .
                It depends whether they sleep and wakeup at specific intervals or they are always awake 'listening' devices. I don't have any ZWave locks but I suspect these don't sleep otherwise you wouldn't be able to control them remotely without queued commands. Have a look at your device settings and see if they are configured with a wakeup interval. If they are they should be picked up automatically by the plugin the first time they wake.

If they are 'listening' devices then you can still monitor whether they are alive or not with this plugin but you have to tell it to specifically monitor the device. Have a look at the section 'Devices Require Polling' in the notes in message #7 of this thread. You should be able to select your door locks, etc and the plugin will poll them at the set interval effectively simulating a wakeup.
                It may not be worded very clearly so let me know how you get on.

Steve

Comment

Ok. Will add them to get manually checked. Any idea why the ZSmoke detectors I have wouldn't show up? I know they aren't always on.

Comment

Ok. Will add them to get manually checked. Any idea why the ZSmoke detectors I have wouldn't show up? I know they aren't always on.

What wake up interval do you have the Zsmokes set too?
                    Try filtering you're log and see if you can find any woke up messages from the Zsmokes.
                    Let me know what you find.
                    Steve

Comment

Originally posted by SteveMSJ View Post
                      What wake up interval do you have the Zsmokes set too?
                      Try filtering you're log and see if you can find any woke up messages from the Zsmokes.
                      Let me know what you find.
                      Steve

I have rules set to watch for a heartbeat from the ZSmoke devices every 67 minutes. They don't report in normally.

I don't see anything in the logs from the ZSmokes. I do see that the plugin lists my ZSmoke devices in the Devices Requiring Polling device list. Does this mean it thinks it needs to be polled? I see a few other devices in that list.

Any way my RFXCOM battery devices could be monitored by the same plugin?

Comment

I have rules set to watch for a heartbeat from the ZSmoke devices every 67 minutes. They don't report in normally.

I don't see anything in the logs from the ZSmokes.
                        I'm not familiar with the ZSmokes so will need to tread carefully. The first thing to figure out is whether they are 'Listening' devices or whether they sleep. Can you post a screen shot of the information on the 'Z-Wave Node Information' page for one of these please.

When you say rules do you mean events? If so what is the trigger and is there a message in the log when the heartbeat occurs? I note you say you don't see any messages in the log so have a look if the 'Do not log commands from this device:' box is ticked on the 'Configuration' tab for the child that is triggering your heartbeat events.

I do see that the plugin lists my ZSmoke devices in the Devices Requiring Polling device list. Does this mean it thinks it needs to be polled? I see a few other devices in that list
                        The list comprises all Z-Wave devices that have a battery child but haven't so far sent a wakeup message, so they are potentials for polling but not definites. You could test out one of the ZSmokes to see if it can be polled but if it is not a 'listening' device it's not going to work. Set the LogLevel to 2, Set the PollInterval to the minimum (10 mins) and select one of the ZSmokes from the 'Select Devices' list. Wait 10 minutes and see what SDJ-Health messages you get in the log about polling. Unless it's successful go back and remove it from the list of devices to be polled.

Any way my RFXCOM battery devices could be monitored by the same plugin?
                        This might be an option for the future but I don't have any RFXCOM devices so don't know how they work. If they issue any regular message like a WakeUp or Heartbeat then it is quite likely possible.

At the moment I am working on major upgrades to the plugin, monitoring battery levels and discharge rates as well as being able to override settings for individual devices where desirable. I have it working reasonably well but the user interface side of things will take me some time to implement so it will be a while before I post the major upgrade.

Steve

Comment

I'm not familiar with the ZSmokes so will need to tread carefully. The first thing to figure out is whether they are 'Listening' devices or whether they sleep. Can you post a screen shot of the information on the 'Z-Wave Node Information' page for one of these please.
                          Attached. It is not polling it appears.

When you say rules do you mean events? If so what is the trigger and is there a message in the log when the heartbeat occurs?
                          Yes, I meant events. Screenshots attached.

I note you say you don't see any messages in the log so have a look if the 'Do not log commands from this device:' box is ticked on the 'Configuration' tab for the child that is triggering your heartbeat events.
                          This checkbox is not checked.

The list comprises all Z-Wave devices that have a battery child but haven't so far sent a wakeup message, so they are potentials for polling but not definites. You could test out one of the ZSmokes to see if it can be polled but if it is not a 'listening' device it's not going to work.

Set the LogLevel to 2, Set the PollInterval to the minimum (10 mins) and select one of the ZSmokes from the 'Select Devices' list. Wait 10 minutes and see what SDJ-Health messages you get in the log about polling. Unless it's successful go back and remove it from the list of devices to be polled.
                          Ok. Did this. ZSmokes did not get detected as a monitored device. Logs says the device was added to polling list. . .it does say it was able to poll the device, but it didin't show up as a monitored device.

Jan-22 2:27:48 PM SDJ-Health Debug - Poll Time : 0.1
                          Jan-22 2:27:48 PM SDJ-Health Debug - Poll result for #8517 Result = 6 : Value = -2
                          Jan-22 2:27:48 PM SDJ-Health Debug - Polling Device #8517

This might be an option for the future but I don't have any RFXCOM devices so don't know how they work. If they issue any regular message like a WakeUp or Heartbeat then it is quite likely possible.

At the moment I am working on major upgrades to the plugin, monitoring battery levels and discharge rates as well as being able to override settings for individual devices where desirable. I have it working reasonably well but the user interface side of things will take me some time to implement so it will be a while before I post the major upgrade.

Steve
                          Sounds nice. Will be watching as you announce progress.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Ok. Did this. ZSmokes did not get detected as a monitored device. Logs says the device was added to polling list. . .it does say it was able to poll the device, but it didin't show up as a monitored device.

Jan-22 2:27:48 PM SDJ-Health Debug - Poll Time : 0.1
                            Jan-22 2:27:48 PM SDJ-Health Debug - Poll result for #8517 Result = 6 : Value = -2
                            Jan-22 2:27:48 PM SDJ-Health Debug - Polling Device #8517
                            You are correct, it's not polling. It should return a result of 1 and the value would be the battery level. It's also too quick so I suspect the Z-Wave PI knows it can't poll and the return value probably indicates that. These responses aren't documented so it's guesswork but I suspect the result would be the same whether or not the batteries were dead.

So, this device doesn't support wakeups or polling but has some kind of heartbeat.

I see your event which is triggered by the heartbeat. Can you have a look in the log and see if there is anything shown when this event is triggered that we can monitor.

To investigate further I'll write a short script to add as an action to that event and see if we can get the plugin to pick it up. Once I know definitely how it works I can build it into the plugin.

I'll need some information to incorporate into the script so can you provide the following:
                            Pick one of Your ZSmokes.
                            From the 'Advanced' tab of the root device give me the technology address which will be something like
                            014D0325-112
                            From the 'Plug-ins>Z-Wave>Controller Management' page give me the 'Interface Name' that corresponds to the HomeID that the technology address starts with.

Thanks,
                            Steve

Comment

You are correct, it's not polling. It should return a result of 1 and the value would be the battery level. It's also too quick so I suspect the Z-Wave PI knows it can't poll and the return value probably indicates that. These responses aren't documented so it's guesswork but I suspect the result would be the same whether or not the batteries were dead.

So, this device doesn't support wakeups or polling but has some kind of heartbeat.

I see your event which is triggered by the heartbeat. Can you have a look in the log and see if there is anything shown when this event is triggered that we can monitor.

To investigate further I'll write a short script to add as an action to that event and see if we can get the plugin to pick it up. Once I know definitely how it works I can build it into the plugin.

I'll need some information to incorporate into the script so can you provide the following:
                              Pick one of Your ZSmokes.
                              From the 'Advanced' tab of the root device give me the technology address which will be something like
                              014D0325-112
                              From the 'Plug-ins>Z-Wave>Controller Management' page give me the 'Interface Name' that corresponds to the HomeID that the technology address starts with.

Thanks,
                              Steve
                              Nothing in the logs that corresponds with the heartbeat.

Technology Address 016A24FE-010

Home ID (sending via PM)

Comment

Nothing in the logs that corresponds with the heartbeat.
                                Can you post a screenshot of the 'Configuration' Tab and the 'Status Graphics' tab for the 'Notification' child device of one of your ZSmokes please?

Thanks,
                                Steve

Comment

Working...
                                X