New construction: Dump the OP?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New construction: Dump the OP?

I have been an Omnipro and UPB user for almost 10 years now with mostly good experiences. I have recently added HS to my setup (which has allowed me to expand the functionality of my home automation system significantly). HSTouch (at least my customized interface) suffers from connection issues and can be frustrating but, for the most part, I am happy with HS in general.
    As I get ready for a new home construction, a dilemma arises: should I stay with the same setup or migrate to a mostly Zwave and HS system and dump the OP (and UPB)? Yes, I realize that the OP is Zwave capable (with limitations).

Yes, the OP (and UPB) work. Analog security cameras work too but I will not be installing coax this time. IP cameras is where is at. Can the same argument be made for the OP?<O

Lastly, it seems like a Zwave based system is more portable meaning that, if needed, changing from one software/controller system to another would be much easier.
    What do you all think? Would you move on or stay the course?

I would use HS as the brains and Z-Wave/UPB control. Use the OP as security. You also get the benefit of the OP's outputs and zones that you can use to integrate with HS via my HAI plugin.
    HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
    54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
    Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Originally posted by rmasonjr View Post
      I would use HS as the brains and Z-Wave/UPB control. Use the OP as security. You also get the benefit of the OP's outputs and zones that you can use to integrate with HS via my HAI plugin.

I forgot to mention that your plugin is outstanding and the reason why I just recently started using HS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by D14 View Post
        I forgot to mention that your plugin is outstanding and the reason why I just recently started using HS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Thanks D14!
        HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
        54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
        Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

I also have been using OP2 for quite a while - 14 years, since home construction. I ran hardwire to light switches for ALC, though....my feeling is that the ALC factor, along with the security system, keeps me tied to the OP2.

I went with HS a couple of years ago for the same reasons you did. It greatly expanded the functionality of the OP2, something I don't see Leviton being very interested in doing.

I'm about to replace my OP2 main board with a new one due to frustrating and continual errors (I'm getting system resets every few minutes which cause MAJOR problems including dropping connection to PCAccess making it impossible to use). I'm tired of trying to troubleshoot it and am just going to bite the bullet and replace the board. One last ditch attempt will be to isolate the panel from the rest of my lan with a router, as has been discussed here and other places.

OP2 is old technology, not well supported, but when it works it is solid. Plus, like I said, I'm well invested in the ALC hardware, and Rob's plugin helps make the future look brighter.

Comment

@Tom,

Any old router will do. Here installed a micro 2 NIC travel router inside of the HAI can using a stock OpenWRT OS and powered by the panel. Its been fine now for over a year.

Here started to see network issues a while ago. I opened a ticket up with HAI and they told me that the NIC chip was old and too promiscuous and not to bother sending the panel in.

Issues here started with communications errors to the Omnistat, time going way off and network disconnects or difficulties connecting to the network. Initial fix was just disconnecting the network port.

Some user did send his OP2 board back to HAI and told them to replace or repair the network and they did and he hasn't had any problems since. (well hasn't mentioned any problems on the CT forum).

Started with the OmniPro 2 generation #1 around 2003. Updated it to generation #2 and kept gen #1 going in another home.

Use both the panel and Homeseer here talking to UPB, X10 (still), Z-Wave and Zigbee. I am a happy camper with UPB and do not plan on changing that. The OP2 panel doesn't speak to dual load switches such that I just utilize links in the OP2 panel. Spuds UPB plugin works great with all of the new UPB switches.

I have replicated the HS3 Z-Wave network to my VRCOP.

I consider the OP2 panel an oversized multi use controller and alarm panel. Yeah it is a bit antiquated but it was built to last a long time and just works for me.

Touch interfaces are the Omni 5.7's, Omni 5.7e's, Omnitouch Pro software and Homeseer Touch software (mostly on table top tablets these days).
            Last edited by Pete; February 23, 2017, 04:54 PM.
            - Pete

Auto mator
            Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
            Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
            HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
            HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

My network issues started out small and then got large. It got to the point that the panel was resetting every 2 or 3 minutes. Sometimes it would disarm itself in the middle of the night, sometimes the alarm would trip all by itself, even with the system disarmed. Couldn't connect pcaccess over the network because of the the resets. In the end, the panel had erased it's programming. None of my automation procedures worked. Was in the process of trying to connect pcaccess via serial port when I resolved the problem by changing a few network cables around and routing the op2 through a switch.

After I figured out how to isolate the op2 from the rest of my lan, it booted up and stayed up. Then I got adventurous and connected pca over the lan and uploaded the last good backup of my setup and programming. Knock on wood, but everything is working perfectly now for about 2 weeks without a single reset. This has prompted me to start back on the other projects I had let slide because of my problems with the op2. In the last two weeks I've made great strides with echo integration, pool automation and monitoring, virtual devices to control multiple physical devices, etc.

Still lots more work to do. This kind of stuff never reaches an end.

In any case, in keeping with the subject of this thread, I have no plans to replace the op2 with hs3, or any other product. For me, hs3 is what will enable me to keep improving my system without relying on leviton to keep up

Comment

Working...
              X