Device Management / Dashboard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Device Management / Dashboard

As a new HS3 user, I'm curious what others do to view their devices? As i've added many devices, i find the list under device management is now so long with so many devices that i don't care about that it's often hard to find the one that i do care about.

I'm considering going through each device and setting my own simple type on those devices i care about so that i can use the "type" filter to quickly switch to the types i want to focus on. The default types are a mess (useless really). E.g. all lights to "light", all virtual switches to "virtual", motion sensors to "motion" and perhaps blank our anything i don't care about to make my type filter brief and to the point.

Alternatively i notice that you can make your own custom pages. Are there any that the community has written that i could download that might give some better views of my devices? I don't feel like making my own customized pages. Too much work..

Anything else folks do? I at least went through and set most of my devices to the proper room and floor so that helps somewhat to find the device i care about.

My Device Management page is usually sorted by the last change date/time to keep the most recent devices updated near the top. Like you mentioned, I spent a bit of time renaming my devices so I can quickly get to a particular view like HVAC, Lighting, Motion, etc. I do wish we had the ability to create custom views with one-click access instead of the jQuery dropdowns - it would save some clicking.

On the opposite end of the spectrum is HSTouch. You will spend HOURS creating your custom views which is both flexible and time-consuming. You're then viewing your devices on tablets or smartphones, which may/may not be to your liking.

There are some threads on screens created with HSTouch that might give you some ideas.

User Jon00 has a custom web page builder that might have what you're looking for as well.
    HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
    54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
    Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Originally posted by rmasonjr View Post
      On the opposite end of the spectrum is HSTouch. You will spend HOURS creating your custom views which is both flexible and time-consuming. You're then viewing your devices on tablets or smartphones, which may/may not be to your liking.

There are some threads on screens created with HSTouch that might give you some ideas.

User Jon00 has a custom web page builder that might have what you're looking for as well.
      Thanks I guess i'm on the right track.

I used to want to put a tablet in the house someplace until google home came along and now i've found that voice commands are far more convenient then some device that i need to go to. So i've zero interest in a tablet/phone or custom view on one (so HSTouch is out). For more useful to me is being able to control my house via voice which i already have working well in HS3.

I did try to check out Jon00's web page builder once but couldn't get it to load so gave up. Ha.. maybe i'll take another look.

I think for my use, setting the types manually on everything - albeit a pain in the butt - will get me most of what i need.

Comment

I have my devices organized by floor and room. Then you just sort the room and floor your working on. I then have rooms like Energy and Heating and Alarm and these show just those devices. Its much more manageable.

Comment

Originally posted by gwichman View Post

I did try to check out Jon00's web page builder once but couldn't get it to load so gave up. Ha.. maybe i'll take another look.
          FYI, If your having issues, I'm happy to assist!
          Jon

Comment

Oh it's a challenge to go through hundreds of devices. The ones that I'll never use or ever care about I created a floor called "Unused" I hardly ever check that box. For FLOOR I use doors, lighting, security, sensors, unused etc. For rooms, I tend to use the actual rooms the device is in.

Where I really wish I could bulk filter is when creating an event. I wish the referencing devices would get grouped so all the unused or whatever would not be displayed, just like on the device management page.

After awhile like Pavlov's dog, I learn that the device I'm looking for is eight page downs then start looking.

Comment

Another useful filter is to hide devices. This can be done in bulk by the drop down at the top left of the Device Manager. Simply select the devices you want to hide, then "Hide" from the drop down.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	138.9 KB
ID:	1195497

Then you can mark seldom used devices as hidden, and by toggling the "Show All" icon to the "Hide Marked" icon by clicking it. This will remove all devices marked as "Hide device from views:" in their configuration pages.

This will allow you to keep a location structure, but to hide unused devices from normal view. You can click on the icon again to restore their visibility.

One note: do not hide root devices for any you want to display in the HSTouch default project as it will also hide the child devices in HSTouch.
              HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.16 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Working...
              X