Davis rain tipping bucket how to connect

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Davis rain tipping bucket how to connect

Is a X10 module fast enough to connect a Davis rain tipping bucket to HS?

Originally posted by cjin View Post
    Is a X10 module fast enough to connect a Davis rain tipping bucket to HS?
    Should be. Are you thinking a DS10 or something else?

Cheers
    Al
    HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
    Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

There was a DIY here utilizing a generic big box $10 rain tipping bucket. Just used the reed switch to a DS10A.

I have only taken apart my Dallas tipping bucket to adjust the tipping / drips. There is a reed switch connected to a 1-wire counter.

Thinking other folks did connect a wireless DS10a to theirs and it worked fine.

Relating to a Davis tipping bucket I have only taken mine apart to clean it. Never modded it.
      - Pete

Auto mator
      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
      Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
      HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
      HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

I didn't think of DS10 but that's a great idea. I already have a a cable in place, so was thinking of hardwiring it to a x10 module that plugs into power line and has 8 input channels (sorry I forgot model number).

Would using an event trigger by the switch and reset the count to zero at midnight the easiest way to get rainfall data into mcsSprinkler?

Pete, do you connect a 1wire counter to Davis gauge or it already has a 1wire counter built in? I ordered a Davis before I saw your post about $10 alternative, thank you.

Comment

I didn't think of DS10 but that's a great idea. I already have a a cable in place, so was thinking of hardwiring it to a x10 module that plugs into power line and has 8 input channels (sorry I forgot model number).

Would using an event trigger by the switch and reset the count to zero at midnight the easiest way to get rainfall data into mcsSprinkler?

The hardwired module should work too. I would create a virtual device that would hold the rainfall data. When the x10 device changes, then take the value of the virtual device and add to it the size of the tipping bucket. This can be done with an immediate script command. At midnight, set the value back to zero.

Cheers
          Al

Sent from my Phone using Tapatalk

Comment

Got Davis rain gauge in the mail. The size is huge!

I am only trying to feed rain fall data into mscspringkler, so don't think it needs to be precise... does Oregon PCR800 work well with RFXCOM receiver and plug in (for HS2)?

Comment

Yes you will need to take it apart and connect to the reed switch. Thinking there is a connector there where you can just disconnect it and connect your stuff to it. Be careful not to mess with the adjustment screws as it should be already adjusted.

Here for mcsSprinklers and Davis used Cumulus to a hosted web site then had Cumulus create a CSV file with just the stuff I needed for mcsSprinklers - 4 values. Worked well this way.
              - Pete

Auto mator
              Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
              Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

does Oregon PCR800 work well with RFXCOM receiver and plug in (for HS2)?
                Yes it does.

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
                  Yes you will need to take it apart and connect to the reed switch. Thinking there is a connector there where you can just disconnect it and connect your stuff to it. Be careful not to mess with the adjustment screws as it should be already adjusted.

Here for mcsSprinklers and Davis used Cumulus to a hosted web site then had Cumulus create a CSV file with just the stuff I needed for mcsSprinklers - 4 values. Worked well this way.
                  Pete, I am curious why you need 4 values for mscSpringklers. Do you use Davis for UV, temp, wind in addition to rain fall?

I see mscSpringklers can take today rain fall as input. I assume it logs and keeps track historical rain fall internally, but don't know if I understand it correctly.

Comment

It is temperature, wind, rain...lemme look at the csv file. I created a template using webtags for the values and store the csv file on the Internet host site. UV data originally came from the internet.

Found the file with web tags. So it is temperature, humidity, wind latest, rainfall.

<#temp>,<#hum>,<#wlatest>,<#rfall>

Running mcSprinklers Pro on a Seagate Dockstar Debian with Mono (from years ago) and this was Michaels first changes over to using Linux before HS3.
                    This is running on two USB SSD devices where as one is used for a nightly backup of mcsSprinklers. Don't even pay attention anymore.

It is mounted in a Rainbird ESP Box (old one) with two Rain8nets.

Note here too have a second weather station and two digital Rain guages. Use Davis, Dallas tipping bucket, digital rain guages.

One digital rain guage is used for "is it raining"; it is very sensitive.

Cumulus is running on an RPi2 using Mono. It is connected to the Davis weather console via a custom buffered cable that I purchased from Australia. Never breaks.

Just got a meteostick which will talk to the davis ISS plus other davis sensors outside. I can do both with this.

Homeseer just polls the Cumulus data and while I can use it to run mcsSprinklers I shifted it to stand alone mode.

All of the above weather stuff is relating to using CumulusMX on the RPi2. Switched HS3 to Linux and changing weather software to WeeWx which is mostly Python and Apache2. It is flexible but different than CumulusMX (less plug n play). I have left mcsSprinklers in stand alone mode.

BTW best rain sensor is the digital rain sensor doing an on and off switch. I also utilize the Rainbird rain sensor sponge thing but never really adjusted it and it is mounted on the top of the roof line and difficult to get to (installed by Rainbird).
                    Last edited by Pete; June 15, 2017, 07:58 AM.
                    - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Working...
                    X