www.homeseer.com    

Go Back   HomeSeer Message Board > Camera Plug-ins > Camera Discussion > HomeSeer NetCam Plug-in

HomeSeer NetCam Plug-in The NetCam plugin provides access to network based cameras.

Old October 9th, 2017, 09:27 AM
Seer Deluxe

Can Netcam take 5 images and send them attached by email

Is there a way Netcam can take 5 images, one second apart after a triggered event and send them attached by email. From what I am reading the using the * wildcard character method is not an option.

Has anyone tried this or come up with a workaround. I imagine this would be a fairly normal requirement for users of camera based systems.
Old October 9th, 2017, 12:15 PM
OverSeer

Used to use Netcam many many years ago. That said in the Windows world I would utilize Jon00's scripts to combine images for my weather page. I would also utilize WeatherXML to post those images for my touchscreens.

Also here utilized Zoneminder for stills and videos. Used python scripts for this stuff.

You can today use a short python script to combine 5 images for an email.

Automator
Old October 9th, 2017, 01:21 PM
Seer Deluxe

Pete do you have a link to that script. Does it work in HS3.
Old October 9th, 2017, 01:44 PM
OverSeer

The python script works with any Linux. There are a bunch out there in internetlandia.

If you name the composite then you can email it.

I went to using WeatherXML here as a map capture like image.

Here is one:

Code:
import sys
from PIL import Image

images = map(Image.open, ['Test1.jpg', 'Test2.jpg', 'Test3.jpg'])
widths, heights = zip(*(i.size for i in images))

total_width = sum(widths)
max_height = max(heights)

new_im = Image.new('RGB', (total_width, max_height))

x_offset = 0
for im in images:
  new_im.paste(im, (x_offset,0))
  x_offset += im.size[0]

new_im.save('test.jpg')
This is easy for the RPi.

Doing a video composite and compression was much more work for the RPi so did this as a cron job on the Zoneminder box.

Note here during the HS2 days of Netcam here saw it was too resource intensive such that one Homeseer user here went to using a VB script for still image capture which worked a bit better and was less resource intensive than Netcam. All this using Zoneminder. Zoneminder does motion capture using JPG stills. It still does that today. It is a bit primitive and works well. Large captures. Zoneminder allows capture adjustments in rates and pixel size from SD to HD.

Last edited by Pete; October 9th, 2017 at 02:24 PM.
Old October 9th, 2017, 02:27 PM
Seer Deluxe

Thanks Pete.

I saw a C# program somewhere that could do exactly what I wanted but I can't seem to find it now. I thought Netcam might have been able to do this natively as it gave the option of taking a number of images so I assumed it could package them and the event could email them.

I'll have a good look around so. Netcam is light enough on resources so that's why I like it.
Old October 10th, 2017, 08:33 AM
OverSeer

Personally Netcam was never light enough for me in HS2 days running on Windows server at the time. (though here utilized up to 12 outdoor cameras). I do not think though one camera would be much of an issue with Netcam.
Old October 10th, 2017, 12:11 PM
OverSeer

With a little light scripting you could probably do this yourself without the need for a plugin, you can grab the image from a call with something like hs.geturl, store it and do that five times, then attach it to an email. I'm not really sure Netcam has much of a productive life any more as it does not appear to get much in the way of attention.