Alexa room access

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alexa room access

Is it possible to assign each of my echos to a separate account so I can assign different rooms to each account? This way if I'm in the kitchen and I say turn on lights just the kitchen lights will turn on? Is this possible? Or is there another way to accomplish this, mabe a skill? I'd like alexa to know which room I'm in and access just those z wave devices in that room.
    Maybe a new Homeseer plugin?

Jon00 Scripts allow this with some tweaking, but I haven't been able to get it to work reliably (could just be me).

Homeseer does it, except, you have to pay for the premium MYHS access and have each echo on a different prime account.

So yes there are ways, but nothing that is easy out of the box.

Comment

There's a new option in the latest versions of HS3 where you can add a name to each of your devices via the device config that makes this a lot easier as well.
      💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by waynehead99 View Post
        Jon00 Scripts allow this with some tweaking, but I haven't been able to get it to work reliably (could just be me).

Homeseer does it, except, you have to pay for the premium MYHS access and have each echo on a different prime account.

So yes there are ways, but nothing that is easy out of the box.
        So you would have to pay for a prime membership for each room? Was starting to think about how I might use multiple echos in this way, but that would be a dealbreaker for me.
        HS Pro 3.0 | Linux Ubuntu 16.04 x64 virtualized under Proxmox (KVM)
        Hardware: Z-NET - W800 Serial - Digi PortServer TS/8 and TS/16 serial to Ethernet - Insteon PLM - RFXCOM - X10 Wireless
        Plugins: HSTouch iOS and Android, RFXCOM, BlueIris, BLLock, BLDSC, BLRF, Insteon PLM (MNSandler), Device History, Ecobee, BLRing, Kodi, UltraWeatherWU3
        Second home: Zee S2 with Z-Wave, CT101 Z-Wave Thermostat, Aeotec Z-Wave microswitches, HSM200 occupancy sensor, Ecolink Z-Wave door sensors, STI Driveway Monitor interfaced to Zee S2 GPIO pins.

Comment

I've read that Amazon will be doing room aware update. I believe it's coming but not sure how long it will be. I just thought there was a way now.

Comment

I am thinking about this since 2 weeks.

i thought aboput putting a sensor in every room.... and if the sensor is trigered..then it will turn on the light or something in the same room.

But if there are two people in the same house.. that will not work....

Same thing with camera..

And those options are not budget friendly anyways

--

But maybe, and i do not have the skills to do this..., if we assign all the echos to a static ip, and a scrip or a plugin detect that an ip adress associed with a specific echo is uploading specific ''patern of data'' ...maybe we can use this as a Condition ( and if) for echo room location?

Comment

Originally posted by scg View Post
              Is it possible to assign each of my echos to a separate account so I can assign different rooms to each account? This way if I'm in the kitchen and I say turn on lights just the kitchen lights will turn on? Is this possible? Or is there another way to accomplish this, mabe a skill? I'd like alexa to know which room I'm in and access just those z wave devices in that room.
              Maybe a new Homeseer plugin?
              I was thinking Amazon Echo accounts. This way you could set the kitchen on one account with it's own devices and rooms, bedroom, family, garage all on there own accounts, devices and rooms. So when you walk into the kitchen (and you have an echo on that account) all you would say is "Alexa turn on light" or "Alexa open garage door"... Will it work? Not sure, but sounds feasible.
              Something to think about.

Comment

I was thinking Amazon Echo accounts. This way you could set the kitchen on one account with it's own devices and rooms, bedroom, family, garage all on there own accounts, devices and rooms. So when you walk into the kitchen (and you have an echo on that account) all you would say is "Alexa turn on light" or "Alexa open garage door"... Will it work? Not sure, but sounds feasible.
                Something to think about.
                But you won't be able to control the rest of the house like this, from one echo

Comment

Originally posted by Summerguy View Post
                  But you won't be able to control the rest of the house like this, from one echo
                  No you would need one in each room your controlling. Like the music on all echos. Nvidia is coming out with a small wall plug in for google home. You put one in each room and it controls the devices in that room. But is been coming for 7 months now. $50 each. I rather put a dot in each room.

Comment

I've read that Amazon will be doing room aware update. I believe it's coming but not sure how long it will be. I just thought there was a way now.
                    I think it might be possible now. I saw something about that when reading through the documentation on the recently released v3 of the Smart Home API.

I'm in the process of updating my Alexa Lambda for v3, so I plan on looking into that soon.

Comment

here we go

Taken from
                      https://developer.amazon.com/blogs/a...and-developers

Comment

Originally posted by DevinH View Post
                        Is this currently available?
                        Hector
                        MyTrigger,ACRF2,W800,Zwave
                        AP800,Honeywell Stat

Comment

Originally posted by Rotech View Post
                          Is this currently available?
                          Not for me yet. I think that will be part of an updated Alexa app. They've implemented the ability for devices to report their state to Alexa anytime they've been changed outside of Alexa. So, if you manually turn on a wall switch, it can report that state change and it'll show in the Alexa app.

The code to do this is live... but I've not yet been notified of an updated app. Supposedly, you'll be able to control your devices right from the Alexa app too.

Comment

That would be awesome !

Comment

My Alexa app has been updated. Cool thing is I can now control devices directly from the Alexa app and see their status.

The device groups section has been re-worked as well. So you can, supposedly, create a group named 'Bedroom', associate the device 'Bedroom Light' to the Bedroom group, and when in the bedroom, ask Alexa to 'turn on the lights'... rather than 'turn on the bedroom lights'.

Problem is, I don't yet know how Alexa knows you're in the bedroom. I have to assume that it's based on which echo you're talking to. But there's been no changes to the settings section of echo devices.

Comment

Working...
                              X