Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Initial questions, ideas

Hi Mikemack, very interesting plugin!

1. Is it possible to create an automated 'dimming schedule' with this plugin?

I'd like to create a schedule that tracks the sunset/sunrise and in between (with approx 1hr resolution, except during sunset/sunrise is much finer) to set the dimming level of LED strips that has both Cool White (6000k) and Warm white (3000k). The idea is to make a smooth transition from cool white in the daytime to warm white in the evenings, by shifting the dimming level slightly every hour (every minute during sunset/sunrise transition).

ie:

2pm: Cool white 90%, Warm White 10%
    3pm: CW 80%, WW 20%
    4pm: CW 70%, WW 30%
    5pm: CW 60%, WW 40%
    etc

Ideally the right dim level is called up upon activation (events), but also automaticallly during scheduled shifts (ie: 14:59 to 15:00, etc)

2. Feature request: make a graphical scheduler widget like EasyTrigger's
    http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=173836

ps: I think you should mention/market the 'multi standard' nature of this plugin...
    HW: HS3 w/ Win8.1 on ASRock C2550d4i. Digi AnywhereUSB, Hubport, Edgeport, UZB, Z-trollers, PLCBUS, SONOS, GC-100, iTach IP2SL, WF2IR, IP2IR, RFXtrx433, Harmony Hubs, Hue, Ademco Vista 128BP, NetAtmo, NetAtmo Welcome

Google Search for HomeSeer Forum

Originally posted by LeoS View Post
    1. Is it possible to create an automated 'dimming schedule' with this plugin?

I'd like to create a schedule that tracks the sunset/sunrise and in between (with approx 1hr resolution, except during sunset/sunrise is much finer) to set the dimming level of LED strips that has both Cool White (6000k) and Warm white (3000k). The idea is to make a smooth transition from cool white in the daytime to warm white in the evenings, by shifting the dimming level slightly every hour (every minute during sunset/sunrise transition).

ie:

2pm: Cool white 90%, Warm White 10%
    3pm: CW 80%, WW 20%
    4pm: CW 70%, WW 30%
    5pm: CW 60%, WW 40%
    etc

Ideally the right dim level is called up upon activation (events), but also automaticallly during scheduled shifts (ie: 14:59 to 15:00, etc)
    Interesting.. Out of the box it would not support it, but it would be possible to add a 'Animated dim control' where triggering it would cause a progression from one scene 'profile's' dim slider position to another. You could then trigger it from HS using the built-in sunset calculation.

If I added, would you be interested in doing some beta testing

2. Feature request: make a graphical scheduler widget like EasyTrigger's
    http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=173836
    I'll look into that.. Tweaking web UI is not the ideal way for me to spend time.. :-).. Since it's only for configuration I will probably keep this one down at the lower end of the priority list..

ps: I think you should mention/market the 'multi standard' nature of this plugin...
    Good point; I'll update to be a little more specific; actually it was hard for me to adequately describe what this plugin does, so thank you for the feedback!

-Mike

Comment

Originally posted by mikemack View Post
      Interesting.. Out of the box it would not support it, but it would be possible to add a 'Animated dim control' where triggering it would cause a progression from one scene 'profile's' dim slider position to another. You could then trigger it from HS using the built-in sunset calculation.
      Ok. Will this lessen the number of events I have to create and edit manually?
      I will have 6 CW+WW LED zones and about 6 Phillip Hue zones; with gradual change throughout the day, if they have to be managed by separate events is about 12 zones x 10 steps = 120 events ;(

If I added, would you be interested in doing some beta testing
      For sure!!

I'll look into that.. Tweaking web UI is not the ideal way for me to spend time.. :-).. Since it's only for configuration I will probably keep this one down at the lower end of the priority list..
      Cool. Those with EasyTrigger access can probably make use of that plugin to manage the schedule of your scene plugin too.
      HW: HS3 w/ Win8.1 on ASRock C2550d4i. Digi AnywhereUSB, Hubport, Edgeport, UZB, Z-trollers, PLCBUS, SONOS, GC-100, iTach IP2SL, WF2IR, IP2IR, RFXtrx433, Harmony Hubs, Hue, Ademco Vista 128BP, NetAtmo, NetAtmo Welcome

Comment

Ok. Will this lessen the number of events I have to create and edit manually?
        I will have 6 CW+WW LED zones and about 6 Phillip Hue zones; with gradual change throughout the day, if they have to be managed by separate events is about 12 zones x 10 steps = 120 events ;(
        So, here is what I am thinking:

I can create a HS device for a timed dim sequence. You can set the Initial slider value, step, max, and step time. When you trigger the device it will start the sequence. It will obey the 'cancel timer on member device change option' so that it stops the sequence if a user action changes the value while the time sequence is operating.

I will also need to enable an option to allow the dim slider to be active all the time for a specific profile. Currently since a scene (group of devices) can have multiple profiles, each with a different dim scaling that share the same slider; the slider is only enabled when the scene profile is active.

How does that sound?

-Mike

Comment

So, here is what I am thinking:

I can create a HS device for a timed dim sequence. You can set the Initial slider value, step, max, and step time. When you trigger the device it will start the sequence. It will obey the 'cancel timer on member device change option' so that it stops the sequence if a user action changes the value while the time sequence is operating.
          So if it's interrupted, it will resume later where its left off/at the correct scheduled dimming level?

I will also need to enable an option to allow the dim slider to be active all the time for a specific profile. Currently since a scene (group of devices) can have multiple profiles, each with a different dim scaling that share the same slider; the slider is only enabled when the scene profile is active.

How does that sound?
          I think it sounds good

Comment

So if it's interrupted, it will resume later where its left off/at the correct scheduled dimming level?
            I will make an option to enable or disable aborting the "Animated dim trigger" (what I am calling this) if a member device changes state; if set it will just abort. if not set it will continue (I think what you want)

I'll see if I can have a test version of this in a few days

Comment

I will make an option to enable or disable aborting the "Animated dim trigger" (what I am calling this) if a member device changes state; if set it will just abort. if not set it will continue (I think what you want)

I'll see if I can have a test version of this in a few days
              In my mind, Ideally the dimming level is like a schedule that can be looked up for each hour/minute (well, calculated from daily sunset/sunrise); and this table will be looked upon when a light is turned on due to an event trigger, or due to a time change that prompts a shift in the dimming level.

ie:

1). Device is turned on (manually from a switch or event): looks up what's the current dimming level supposed to be from this table, and applies it.

2). Device is already on and the time changes from 15:59 to 16:00; according to the table, dimming level of this light should decrease to 55%, applies that.

Apologies if that's not clear.. english isn't my first language ;(

Comment

In my mind, Ideally the dimming level is like a schedule that can be looked up for each hour/minute (well, calculated from daily sunset/sunrise); and this table will be looked upon when a light is turned on due to an event trigger, or due to a time change that prompts a shift in the dimming level.

ie:

1). Device is turned on (manually from a switch or event): looks up what's the current dimming level supposed to be from this table, and applies it.

2). Device is already on and the time changes from 15:59 to 16:00; according to the table, dimming level of this light should decrease to 55%, applies that.

Apologies if that's not clear.. english isn't my first language ;(
                That is clear; but will not map to the way this plugin works..

I can emulate similar behavior by using the built in dimmer control. Here is how it will work..

You create a scene/profile, add devices, and using the advanced dimming control create a custom dim profile - In that profile you can specify 101 values corresponding to slider positions 0-100 inclusive; one for each time delta you want to control. You will set the (new) option to make this profile the 'default dimming device' meaning that it will always respond to dim events. Now, you have a slider that you can control that will control the individual devices based on each step of the slider.

Now; the new function I will add is something to 'animate' the slider moving from one point to another. You can kick this off using the sunset/sunrise triggers from within HS.

Additional note: Using it in this way it really does not matter what values you set for the scene profile; I would suggest setting to all max and naming the profile "all on"

I think this should do what you want, but just in a little maybe 'strange' way; just due to the way I can incorporate the function into this plugin.

As a nice side-effect, the slider position will change so you can track it with some gauge or display using HSTouch if you want..

-Mike

Comment

That is clear; but will not map to the way this plugin works..

I can emulate similar behavior by using the built in dimmer control. Here is how it will work..

You create a scene/profile, add devices, and using the advanced dimming control create a custom dim profile - In that profile you can specify 101 values corresponding to slider positions 0-100 inclusive; one for each time delta you want to control. You will set the (new) option to make this profile the 'default dimming device' meaning that it will always respond to dim events. Now, you have a slider that you can control that will control the individual devices based on each step of the slider.

Now; the new function I will add is something to 'animate' the slider moving from one point to another. You can kick this off using the sunset/sunrise triggers from within HS.

Additional note: Using it in this way it really does not matter what values you set for the scene profile; I would suggest setting to all max and naming the profile "all on"

I think this should do what you want, but just in a little maybe 'strange' way; just due to the way I can incorporate the function into this plugin.

As a nice side-effect, the slider position will change so you can track it with some gauge or display using HSTouch if you want..

-Mike
                  Cool Looking forward to it!
                  I'd imagine a dimming schedule like this can also be applied to volume level off sound systems (Sonos, squeezebox, etc) and all the dimmable light tech (zwave, upb, plcbus, x10, Hue, MiLight, etc) to create gentle scene shifts.
                  Last edited by LeoS; October 13, 2015, 09:51 PM.

Comment

Hi Leo,

I have a debug version ready to test.. no docs yet, so try to figure it out until I get to writing it up.. :-)

Place the attached file in the HS dir and update the plugin.

--Updated-- I posted the wrong file..

Mike
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by mikemack; October 14, 2015, 09:00 PM.

Comment

Hi Leo,

I have a debug version ready to test.. no docs yet, so try to figure it out until I get to writing it up.. :-)

Place the attached file in the HS dir and update the plugin.

--Updated-- I posted the wrong file..

Mike
                      Cool!

Q: if an animated trigger is being executed and interrupted halfway, it will restart from the beginning, if we use the same event trigger right?

Comment

I just posted an update, so using the same updater_override.txt do an update -- there was a bug that would cause it to not work at all if you had previous scenes setup.. Fixed now..

Cool!
                        Q: if an animated trigger is being executed and interrupted halfway, it will restart from the beginning, if we use the same event trigger right?
                        It would restart from the beginning. There is only a concept of canceled.. If you create more than one starting the second will cancel the first. Also issuing an 'all off' scene command will cancel it.

-Mike

Comment

Had some time to do some testing - feature now in release version

Comment

Amazing Work Mike.

It's been along time that I have wanted something like this. As Leo pointed ut it would take countless events to even start to mimic what your plugin self creates.

Way to go.

Charlie.
                            HSPro: 3.0.0.194
                            PL: Insteon PLM 3.0.5.20,Insteon Thermostat 3.0.1.1 , UltraM1G, RainRelay8, UltraECM3, UltraPioneerAVR3, BLBackup, weatherXML, Jon00 Network & PC Monitor
                            HW : Win 7 64bit, Intel i7-2600, 16 GB DDR3 Ram, 60 Plus Insteon Dual Band Devices, Rain8 Pro2, Elk M1 Gold, Brueltech GreenEye.

Comment

Thanks for the kind words.. I hope you find it useful!

Comment

Working...
                              X