Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Major Upgrade for HomeSeer Amazon Echo Skill!

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Correct

Originally posted by rjh View Post
    So this is with the api and not the skill, correct? Can you give me the name and location of the 2 devices?
    When I would use the skill all was well. I narrowed the problem down though. The living room lamp was named "lamp" and the bedroom was "tom's lamp". When I checked the Alexa heard log in the app, it had heard me state to "turn the living room lamp on" but instead controlled the device named "lights" (fanlinc). By renaming the bedroom lamp to "lamp" it now functions as it should. Ideally would leave my lamp named as it had been originally as I've been thinking of adding a dimmer to my gf's nightstand.

Comment

Am I missing something? I thought you could run an event by just saying "Alexa, tell homeseer to [event name]."

However when I say "Alexa, tell homeseer to Turn off the boys room" it responds that there are no devices are found with that name. If I say "Alexa, tell homeseer to run the event turn off the boys room" it works (though I don't like it asking me if I'm sure I want to run the event).

Could/should the parsing engine look for events if no devices are found?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm seeing much the same thing, but I rarely get an event to work. Furthermore I have issues with it finding devices. I can tell it "Alexa, tell Homeseer to turn of Jeffs light" and it works, then I tell it "Alexa, tell Homeseer to turn of Pams light" (which is on the other side of the bed) and it says device not found.

For Events, I have found it easier in most cases to use the IFTTT connection. I like the shorter "Alexa, Trigger Living Room Lights on". The only issue is on a rare occasion, the command is delayed by as much as to 3 minutes. Lucky it is rare.

I wish someone would write a skill just for events with an easy trigger word (like "run" or "execute" rather than "tell Homeseer to", plus seeming to have to say "event" somewhere). I would use that.

Comment

Originally posted by sirmeili View Post
          Am I missing something? I thought you could run an event by just saying "Alexa, tell homeseer to [event name]."

However when I say "Alexa, tell homeseer to Turn off the boys room" it responds that there are no devices are found with that name. If I say "Alexa, tell homeseer to run the event turn off the boys room" it works (though I don't like it asking me if I'm sure I want to run the event).

Originally posted by ViperJD View Post
          I'm seeing much the same thing, but I rarely get an event to work. Furthermore I have issues with it finding devices. I can tell it "Alexa, tell Homeseer to turn of Jeffs light" and it works, then I tell it "Alexa, tell Homeseer to turn of Pams light" (which is on the other side of the bed) and it says device not found.

For Events, I have found it easier in most cases to use the IFTTT connection. I like the shorter "Alexa, Trigger Living Room Lights on". The only issue is on a rare occasion, the command is delayed by as much as to 3 minutes. Lucky it is rare.

I wish someone would write a skill just for events with an easy trigger word (like "run" or "execute" rather than "tell Homeseer to", plus seeming to have to say "event" somewhere). I would use that.
          Guys - check the log and see what HomeSeer is actually hearing!!! This will be recorded in an "info" entry. That should shed some light on what's happening.

Then, if you're trying to launch an event, use the phrase "Alexa, tell HomeSeer to run the event [event name]". If you're prefer not to add "run the event" to the spoken phrase, then add another trigger to the event with the phrase you want to speak. Then, you say "Alexa, tell HomeSeer to [phrase you want to speak]".
          💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by macromark View Post
            Guys - check the log and see what HomeSeer is actually hearing!!! This will be recorded in an "info" entry. That should shed some light on what's happening.

Then, if you're trying to launch an event, use the phrase "Alexa, tell HomeSeer to run the event [event name]". If you're prefer not to add "run the event" to the spoken phrase, then add another trigger to the event with the phrase you want to speak. Then, you say "Alexa, tell HomeSeer to [phrase you want to speak]".
            Thanks for the tips! I'll give it a go this weekend :-)

Comment

Don't forget to try out using your phone for voice commands.

When using your phone, you don't need to say 'Tell HomeSeer to...'

Most people keep their phones on them so it can be handy.
              Wade

"I know nothing... nothing!"

Comment

[QUOTE=Sgt. Shultz;1235195]Don't forget to try out using your phone for voice commands.

When using your phone, you don't need to say 'Tell HomeSeer to...'

Most people keep their phones on them so it can be handy.[/

So, in a thread about the Echo, discussing a "major upgrade" to the Echo skill, one of the people that I think is responsible for that upgrade tells us to use our PHONE to issue a voice command.

Is it even possible I just read that???

Because comparing pulling out one's phone to issue a command is NOT generally handy, and the whole concept sort of flies in the face of using the Echo.
                Madcodger

This would be a lot easier if I knew what I was doing...

Comment

Since the skill now just sends the whole phrase for parsing to HS3, the echo and the phone both use the same code to process a command.

I'm just pointing out another avenue that can be used to send voice commands through that HS3 parsing engine.

The API uses a different process, which is why I didn't mention that one as well.

As far as handy, go out into your yard and try telling the echo to turn on your lights.

Your cell phone in that situation, is handy.
                  Wade

Comment

Originally posted by Sgt. Shultz View Post
                    Since the skill now just sends the whole phrase for parsing to HS3, the echo and the phone both use the same code to process a command.

I'm just pointing out another avenue that can be used to send voice commands through that HS3 parsing engine.

The API uses a different process, which is why I didn't mention that one as well.

As far as handy, go out into your yard and try telling the echo to turn on your lights.

Your cell phone in that situation, is handy.

I use a phone to control my lighting, HVAC, and security, quite reliably. I also use any of four Echos to accomplish the same thing. So, I'd say I know the difference. None of that requires HS any longer. I had hoped to keep you folks in the mix via the Echo skill as I already own the software. Not looking promising, but I doubt anyone cares.

The thread topic is the Echo device, and users are reporting a problem. So suggesting that users who are having those problems resort to pulling out their phones to achieve voice control speaks volumes, unfortunately. It's akin to speaking with a car dealer about the vehicle you just bought not starting, and being told to just drive a different car. Sure, that could get you to a different location. But that's really not the point.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                    Last edited by Madcodger; March 19, 2016, 06:59 AM.
                    Madcodger

This would be a lot easier if I knew what I was doing...

Comment

As I noted, the echo and the phone use the same parsing engine to process voice commands, so I don't believe mentioning the phone as a compliment to the echo is off topic, as any issues or features that affect one will affect the other.

My original comments for the phone were for people who were possibly unaware they could get the same process and response as the echo without actually using the echo, not as an alternative.(unless you don't have an echo, then it technically is an alternative.)

My comments regarding the handiness of the phone were intended to show an example of the usefulness of that compliment to the echo.

That those comments were directed to you was simply because you seemed to have questioned the handiness of the phone with regards to the echo.

Lastly, some people have a real issue with having to say 'Tell HomeSeer to...' in order to use the parser through the echo.
                      Using the phone you get the same parsing and processing as you would with the echo without needing to include that phrasing.
                      Wade

Comment

Phone?

I clearly have missed this. Can someone tell me how do we utilize a phone to initiate a command in Homeseer? Are we utilizing the Alexa app or the hstouch app?

Comment

To run an event using the event name you have to say: "Alexa tell to homeseer to run the event [event name]

You can also add a voice trigger to an event. Say you add a voice trigger and set the text to "tell me the time".

You can then say, as you mentioned:

"Alexa tell homeseer to tell me the time"

That will run the event. You can say this a bit better with:

"Alexa ask homeseer to tell me the time"

Originally posted by sirmeili View Post

Comment

Using the phone does not require the Echo. However, it only works with the Android HSTouch App. Run the app and click on the HomeSeer logo at the bottom of the screen. It will prompt you, then say your command. Do NOT include "Alexa tell homeseer to", just say the command like:

"turn off the kitchen lights"

For you IOS users, once Apple allows developers access to the VR or SIRI, we will add this to the IOS app.

Originally posted by acalbear View Post
                            I clearly have missed this. Can someone tell me how do we utilize a phone to initiate a command in Homeseer? Are we utilizing the Alexa app or the hstouch app?

Comment

However, it only works with the Android HSTouch App. Run the app and click on the HomeSeer logo at the bottom of the screen.
                              Anyway to add that "button" to custom HSTouch screens (using HSTouch Designer)?
                              I already have designed my screens, but would like to have the button that would allow the Google prompt popup without going back to the built in screens.

Comment

To run an event using the event name you have to say: "Alexa tell to homeseer to run the event [event name]
                                If you are saying that is the ONLY way to run an event using the event name, then you need to fix the page that the first post in this thread links to. It clearly states you do NOT have to say " run the event":

Working with Events*
                                Use the syntax and examples below to construct phrases that will launch HomeSeer events.*
                                Tip:*Consider changing your*Event Names*if the phrases you're required to use sound unnatural in any way.
                                "{Attention Phrase}*{Command}*{Event Name}*{Command}"

Launching HomeSeer Events
                                "{Alexa, Tell HomeSeer to}*{Turn all lights off}"
                                "{Alexa, Tell HomeSeer to}*{Run the Event}{Turn all lights off}"
                                "{Alexa, Tell HomeSeer to}*{Run the}*{Turn all lights off}*{Event}"

Comment

Working...
                                X