Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TUTORIAL: Setup your Amazon Echo UK to talk to HomeSeer (Workaround)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there any way to see what is coming in to homeseer?

I've followed the workaround and got the skill installed in the Alexa app on my phone, but I just get responses from Alexa along the lines of 'device not found' or 'don't understand'.

My dot hasn't arrived yet so I am using the 'Roger' app to talk to Alexa on my phone. That works for things other than Homeseer.

Just want to see where it's failing...

Cheers,

Jon.

Comment

Originally posted by wkearney99 View Post
      Fwiw, when I go to the /About page on my HS3 setup it reports:

Homeseer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.297 (Windows)

What does it show on the page: http://ip_of_your_hs_server/About

I've also had it previously setup to work with the myhs web service, so make sure yours is logged into that also.
      These both show the same page, and I am on HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.297 (Windows)

I have linked the skill to my HS account, and I am using myhs all the time to access my system remotely

Comment

I've just setup a Raspberry Pi as an Echo as per instructions below:

https://github.com/alexa/alexa-avs-s...i/Raspberry-Pi

This all appears to be working, now I've followed your Guide to setup HomeSeer skill but all I am getting back is "Sorry I couldn't find a device or group called Kitchen Light in Simon's account".

I'm saying 'Tell James to turn on the Kitchen Light', James is the Invocation Name. However it doesn't seem to matter if I say James Fred, Bob or anything I get the same response when asking to turn things on or off!

Any help gratefully appreciated :-)
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Simonk View Post

This all appears to be working, now I've followed your Guide to setup HomeSeer skill but all I am getting back is "Sorry I couldn't find a device or group called Kitchen Light in Simon's account".

I'm saying 'Tell James to turn on the Kitchen Light', James is the Invocation Name. However it doesn't seem to matter if I say James Fred, Bob or anything I get the same response when asking to turn things on or off!

I've recently set up my echo in the last few days and noticed the same thing. (I use both homeseer skills, per a recommendation I found on here) Through some limited trial and error, it seems that if there's not another device named the same thing, I don't need to say the room name. I've also had to rename several devices in HS and re-discover in echo to get Alexa to find them properly. For whatever reason she couldn't ever find room "kitchen", device "undercounter" even though I could see in the app she had discovered it. Had to rename to "under counter", and then not say the room name and it now works fine. Still working out the nuances and tweaking my devices and making a cheat sheet of what to say to control the house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by mikee123 View Post
            These both show the same page, and I am on HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.297 (Windows)

I have linked the skill to my HS account, and I am using myhs all the time to access my system remotely
            Check this part of step 5. Unless this is done correctly you will get the error saying you need a newer version of Homeseer.

In the Client ID box copy and paste the following: amzn1.application-oa2-client.d839fbb21603478dbd332ab26fc1f1f1

Matt

Comment

Originally posted by Simonk View Post

I tried this with the PI also but it won't currently work. The problem is their instructions will link your pi to the American Alexa Voice service.

When you run the Alexa app in the UK and set up the skill, you link everything to your UK account. But when you talk to your PI it checks your US account which doesn't have any skills installed.

So far I have not found any way around this. Have even tried US VPNs etc. Amazon know about the problem and I believe it is the same reason why IFTTT support is broken. So hopefully when they fix that we might be able to get the PIs working. Until then all you can do is the basic stuff like time/jokes/weather. Not very exciting.

Matt.

Comment

Originally posted by Croccy22 View Post
                Check this part of step 5. Unless this is done correctly you will get the error saying you need a newer version of Homeseer.

In the Client ID box copy and paste the following: amzn1.application-oa2-client.d839fbb21603478dbd332ab26fc1f1f1

Matt

Ok its all working fine now, great. Alexa responds to tell the house...

Comment

Originally posted by Jon798 View Post
                  Is there any way to see what is coming in to homeseer?

I've followed the workaround and got the skill installed in the Alexa app on my phone, but I just get responses from Alexa along the lines of 'device not found' or 'don't understand'.

My dot hasn't arrived yet so I am using the 'Roger' app to talk to Alexa on my phone. That works for things other than Homeseer.

Just want to see where it's failing...

Cheers,

Jon.
                  For anyone trying to get this work to work in the UK with things like the Roger app or the Raspberry PI. Take a look at my posts in this thread http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=184514

Basically whether you like it or not, these applications can currently only talk to your USA account (Yes you have one!). When you install the Alexa app in the UK you are configuring you UK account only.

So the basic fix is you need to migrate your Amazon.co.uk to Amazon.com. Then log back into the Alexa app and configure the Homeseer skills (either custom built or you can just grab the official skills from the store). Once everything is set up, migrate your account back to the UK.

I have done this and now have "Alexa Listens" running on my phone, and the Raspberry PI AVS Client running in my house. I am able to control all my devices by either using the advanced homeseer skill or the api skill.

Any questions just ask.

Matt.

Comment

Originally posted by Croccy22 View Post
                    For anyone trying to get this work to work in the UK with things like the Roger app or the Raspberry PI. Take a look at my posts in this thread http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=184514
                    Thanks Matt works great with my Raspberry PI :-)

Comment

OK, so now my dot has arrived and I can use:

"Alexa, tell the house to run the event test event". Works fine.

I can't, though, get anything other than "Sorry, can't find device or group in your account" when try and control any devices.

Also - is there a way to turn off having to confirm running events via voice control? Makes it all a bit long-winded...

(and how do I migrate my account .com and back to .co.uk? Doesn't seem obvious.)

Cheers,

Jon.

Comment

"Alexa, tell the house to run the event test event". Works fine.

I can't, though, get anything other than "Sorry, can't find device or group in your account" when try and control any devices.

Also - is there a way to turn off having to confirm running events via voice control? Makes it all a bit long-winded...

(and how do I migrate my account .com and back to .co.uk? Doesn't seem obvious.)

Cheers,

Jon.
                        This may help: http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?p=1270243
                        Jon

Comment

Jon.
                          You should be able to just take the tick out of 'Confirm Voice Commands' in the device setup.

Comment

There's no tick box for events.

You say "Alexa, tell the house to run the event test event" and then after a pause you get "do you want me to run the event test event?" and then you have to say yes or no.

I jusst want the event to run at first request.

Cheers,

Jon.

Comment

There's no tick box for events.

You say "Alexa, tell the house to run the event test event" and then after a pause you get "do you want me to run the event test event?" and then you have to say yes or no.
                              I played with this a while ago when looking into other voice solutions. If you go to Tools/Setup/Voice you will see a list of responses to various actions. If you remove the text associated with events then that stops it. The only problem was the edits didn't stick when HS is restarted. That was a while ago and I haven't tried it since so it may have been fixed.

Comment

Ive now followed the Tutorial and got it working after a fashion.

Two questions:

I've had to change the name of a couple of test events to match their voice recognition phrase as otherwise they don't work - if these differ, is there a trick to ensuring both work (event name & phrase)

Secondly is there a way to turn off the confirmation question?

I've unticked the boxes on the setup screen and even blanked out the phrases (which aren't saved through stop/restart incidentally) but even then I get "Question mark?" spoken which I have to reply yes to.

Comment

Working...
                                X