Alexa not currently useable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alexa not currently useable?

Just wondering how well Alexa is working with HS for everyone else?
    For me. Alexa currently has a number of issues that makes it effectively unusable with HS3.

1. Alexa Discovery process finds lots of devices but (apparently) randomly misses some. For example it has found only one of my virtual switches.
    2. Of the devices it finds, each is shown in the Echo web page either as just the 'name', or 'name' plus 'floor' or 'name' plus 'floor' plus 'room'. As a result for some devices I can use 'Floor Lamp' and sometimes I have to use 'Node 6 Laundry room' which is not ideal.
    3. Even when Alexa does recognise a device and correctly implements an instruction such as "Floor lamp on" it always reports "Device Floor Lamp not responding......." which is very irritating and presumably some sort of timing issue.

Most of the issues reported in this forum seem to relate to a non-functioning Alexa or specific devices but are others experiencing similar 'half-baked' issues?

Interesting you mentioned it, I have similar problems, I was going to investigate but now I know it is not me.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

I have been using Jon's script to control mine, and honestly outside of myhs crashes, mine has been fairly solid. I have 4 devices right now sprinkled around the house. I also use my own scripts to run things based off what I said from the parsed string.

I don't like the "tell Homeseer" part, but when I try to use the API, it does seem hit or miss to either see the device or not.

Comment

I agree, I never liked saying tell homeseer, getting old, while I say tell homeseer to tell the device, I forget which device I had to turn off. The api has been working OK but 80% of the times. I was selling it to my wife and I was so close but every time she trying, Alexa says, sorry I don't understand or what device

Comment

Suggest you might get help here? https://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=186898

I never say 'tell homeseer' and Alexa is very reliable for my 13 off/on flag commands and for my 21 turn on buttons.

But perhaps you aren't using HAI plug in?

Comment

Alexa works great for me.

I use the 'simple' Homeseer Alexa skill.
            I have created virtual devices in all my rooms such as, "Lights", "Fan", etc.
            I removed all smart devices from the Alexa app.
            I removed 'voice control' from all Homeseer devices, except for my virtual devices.
            I created events for my virtual devices.
            I have an Echo in every room in my house.
            I then have the Alexa app 'discover devices'. This is a one time process.

Now I just say "Alexa, turn on the Living Room Lights", or "Alexa, turn off the Master Bedroom Fan", etc...

Unless the Internet is acting up, it works quickly, and flawlessly.

Comment

Thanks for your input, I like the concept of creating virtual devices, I tried on the garage door, I even implemented the suggestion from hs in regards of changing the status from off to open but it does not work for me, can you please show us how you have virtual implemented, perhaps with some screen shots.
              Aldo

Comment

Working...
              X