Alexa Push Notification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alexa Push Notification

Any word about Push Notifications from HS3 to Alexa? I know the developers have been working with Push Notifications but haven't heard anything about HomeSeer adding it. Hopefully this will be soon.
    HomeSeer Version: HS3 Standard Edition 3.0.0.548
    Linux version: Linux auto 4.15.0-72-generic #81-Ubuntu SMP Tue Nov 26 12:20:02 UTC 2019 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    Number of Devices: 484 | Number of Events: 776

Enabled Plug-Ins: 3.0.0.13: AirplaySpeak | 2.0.61.0: BLBackup
    3.0.0.70: EasyTrigger | 1.3.7006.42100: LiftMaster MyQ
    4.2.3.0: mcsMQTT | 3.0.0.53: PHLocation2 | 0.0.0.47: Pushover 3P
    3.0.0.16: RaspberryIO | 3.0.1.262: Z-Wave

Z-Net version: 1.0.23 for Inclusion Nodes
    SmartStick+: 6.04 (ZDK 6.81.3) on Server

Guess no one knows anything.

I will say that I wish Alexa would allow for local push for audio response. Don't see any reason that local devices can't send sound or TTS directly to Alexa. That would make it simpler to control. After all if someone is on your local network, them having the ability to make Alexa say something is the least of your worries.
    Linux version: Linux auto 4.15.0-72-generic #81-Ubuntu SMP Tue Nov 26 12:20:02 UTC 2019 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Comment

Anything is easy once an API allows it. Are you sure that Alex API allows this? If so, where is the documentation and then we can see how we can integrate this...
      HomeSeer 2, HomeSeer 3, Allonis myServer, Amazon Alexa Dots, ELK M1G, ISY 994i, HomeKit, BlueIris, and 6 "4k" Cameras using NVR, and integration between all of these systems. Home Automation since 1980.

Comment

As far as I know, there is nothing in the API to allow for pushes as yet.

The audio isn't just sent (like a file) to Amazon..., it's an encrypted bitstream.

That being said, it should be possible (in theory) to send to a TTS to Amazon to gives commands to Alexa, just not easy.

That won't, however, initiate speech.

That's because Amazon would respond to the request sent with the audio back to the request origin.

There's a third party plugin for HomeSeer that has part of this built, in that you can use a microphone on your PC to send the audio, and the speakers to play the response when you receive it.

But you can't send audio from the PC and have the echo respond.

As an experiment, I built a function I called 'Mirror Text' to respond to whatever was sent with the exact same phrase, then bluetoothed it to the echo.

So when you got a response back to the PC, it played out the echo, mimicking a push response.

This would require a lot of time and fudging to make it work and the echo would need to be in bluetooth range, but if you really want it, you could try that route.

For me, better to wait for Amazon to update the API with a function that allows straight text to be sent that will get converted to audio by them and sent right to your echo.
        Wade

"I know nothing... nothing!"

Comment

There is a worry that Amazon won't play what pushed till the user ask Alexa to play it. This would be not useful at all for home automation.

What I was thinking would get around the issue Amazon may have with skills pushing would be to allow local devices to sent a text string to an Echo on the local network. That Echo would send the text string to Amazon where it would be returned to the all specified local echos to be played back.

This leaves the person in charge of the local network to control who can have echos play back TTS. No outside pushing could do it. It also makes the protocol extremely simple. All that would be needed is a simple test string with the beginning containing Echo names or the keyword All that the TTS should be sent to.

Example: "Echo 1, Echo 5;This is the text string to speak.

Audio files could also be included using a similar method most likely with the audio files being stored on your Amazon account so they wouldn't have to be sent to Amazon every time. A key word would then select the sound to play.

Example: "Echo 1, Echo 5;This is the text string to speak with a sound &sound_name More Text".

In the last example the entire TTS string would be spoken including the embedded sound(s)

Anyway, none of this matters till we see what Amazon releases for Push.

Comment

The echo does no TTS.

It only recognizes the wake word.

All audio is sent to the cloud to be converted.
            Wade

"I know nothing... nothing!"

Comment

I know that. You seemed to have missed my point. It's what I'd like to see added to the Echo.

Comment

And who will develop that function into the Echo? HomeSeer?

You'd have more luck discussing this with Amazon.
                HomeSeer 2, HomeSeer 3, Allonis myServer, Amazon Alexa Dots, ELK M1G, ISY 994i, HomeKit, BlueIris, and 6 "4k" Cameras using NVR, and integration between all of these systems. Home Automation since 1980.

Comment

Originally posted by Krumpy View Post
                  And who will develop that function into the Echo? HomeSeer?

You'd have more luck discussing this with Amazon.
                  Please, of course that would be Amazon.

My only point, which I think you missed, was only to put the idea out there to any of the developers, both HomeSeer and 3rd party, that when Amazon releases Pushed notifications, including TTS, if it doesn't allow it to play without the user asking the echo what notification was just sent, because Amazon thinks there is some privacy reason, then they could suggest a local way it be done for home automation.

Can we now end this back and forth bantering?

Comment

What about Simon Says

Is there no way to leverage that Echo command to somehow push voice back to alexa? I think that would be a killer add to this plugin.

I love the echo's the hardware is so much better than anything I could get working for voice recognition with HS before. However I miss the voice feedback. I have a bunch of scripts I just can't use anymore because they revolve around voice.

My search showed this has been mentioned before but no real response or conclusion.

Comment

I have my HS PC bluetoothed to Echo - pseudo push notifications :-)

Comment

That is one way

I have done that also but with 5 devices through the house and limits on bluetooth range it just does not get it done for me reliably.

I really want to be able to send speech commands to one or more of the Echo's like i used to with HS.speak. I would think that if the simon says stuff is exposed to the API that could be possible.

Comment

Even better

This would be even better if I could also remotely wake a specific device so it was listening right after speaking.

Comment

Originally posted by sharrisct25 View Post
                            Is there no way to leverage that Echo command to somehow push voice back to alexa? I think that would be a killer add to this plugin.

I love the echo's the hardware is so much better than anything I could get working for voice recognition with HS before. However I miss the voice feedback. I have a bunch of scripts I just can't use anymore because they revolve around voice.

My search showed this has been mentioned before but no real response or conclusion.
                            Direct push notifications are not the same as pushing TTS back to Alexa when initiating a conversation with her. Take a look at the you tube video by Moskus below using my Echo skill helper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoAUQKYvlaE

Originally posted by sharrisct25 View Post
                            This would be even better if I could also remotely wake a specific device so it was listening right after speaking.
                            Due to security restrictions, I very much doubt Amazon would allow push notifications followed by listening capability as that opens up many privacy concerns including remote recording.
                            Jon

Comment

I wonder if it might be possible to do push notifications on Alexa using SropIn the way they do the intercom feature? Sure there would be a chime when its sent but I kinds like that since it gets your attention before the message is spoken.

Since RaspberryPis can be turned into Alexas is may be possible for one to send a intercom drop in command to a specific Echo.

Just thinking out loud.

Comment

Working...
                              X