This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chromecast Plug-in - Beta Testing

This plug-in is designed to interface Homeseer with any Google Chromecast or any device with Chromecast Built-in (Google Home, Android TV, etc...)

Please read the User Guide for more information

Please report any bug.

Changes to version 3.0.0.26
    - Fixed connection/disconnection issues
    - Fixed crash due to change made in 3.0.0.25

Changes to version 3.0.0.25
    - Force reconnect when no pong message has been received for 30 seconds.

Changes to version 3.0.0.24
    - Added CastMedia as scripting function

Changes to version 3.0.0.23
    - Prevent TTS when Chromecast is already playing media

Changes to version 3.0.0.22
    - Fixed broken Google voice caused by a change in the google translate page

Changes to version 3.0.0.21
    - Only try two connection attempts in case of error
    - Limit the re-connection due to restart of discovery to the device which caused the error

Changes to version 3.0.0.20
    - Restart discovery when a connection error is detected.

Changes to version 3.0.0.19
    - Added possibility to use Google TTS
    - Added Duration device
    - Fixed potential thread safety issues in connect/disconnect

Changes to version 3.0.0.18
    - Fixed connection problem to Groups.

Changes to version 3.0.0.17
    - Added "Go To Beginning" and "Go To end" controls to the status device

Changes to version 3.0.0.16
    - Added possibility to delete a Chromecast from config page
    - Prevent devices from being recreated when chromecast is disabled
    - Changed metadata image for media casted from HS.

Changes to version 3.0.0.15
    - Fixed connection to "Default Media Controller", when the app is launched by another program.
    - Added metadata for media casted from HS

Changes to version 3.0.0.14
    - Added more error logging

Changes to version 3.0.0.13
    - Added reconnection attempt when the tcp connection fails
    - Added GetMediaStatus queries to get media data when playing from squeezebox server.

Changes to version 3.0.0.12
    - Fixed disconnection/connection to groups

Changes to version 3.0.0.11
    - Added up/down button for volume control with configurable step% from config page
    - Added possibility to enable/disable TTS for one chromecast without completely disabling connection.

Changes to version 3.0.0.10
    - Added Stop button to the Application device
    - Force plugin to use Newtonsoft.Json.dll from bin/Chromecast in order to avoid conflicts

Changes to version 3.0.0.9
    - Media images are now downloaded and served from the HS web server.
    - Avoid updating media devices when not needed

Changes to version 3.0.0.8
    - Fixed reset of media devices when an application closes
    - Fixed error when trying to control playback status but no application is running.

Changes to version 3.0.0.7
    - Fixed deletion of old wave files on Linux
    - Automatic copy of media file to html/Wave folder
    - Added Type colum in config

Changes to version 3.0.0.6
    - Added support for Chromecast Audio groups
    - Added Artist device
    - Rounded volume device value to nearest integer

Changes to version 3.0.0.5
    - Fixed connection/disconnection issues
    - Fixed "Cast Media" action by encoding the url

Changes to version 3.0.0.4
    - Added Application, Title and Image devices
    - Added basic controls of other Media applications: Play, Pause, Stop, Previous, Next

Changes to version 3.0.0.3
    - Possibility to manually add a device in Chromecast.ini in case the discovery is not working

Changes to version 3.0.0.2
    - Fixed discovery crash on Linux
    - Added support for Speak actions that use the path of an Audio file instead of text

Changes to version 3.0.0.1
    - Added "Cast Media" event action
    - Added "Media Status" device
    Last edited by spud; October 26, 2018, 11:38 AM.

Can I ask what can you actually do with it other than display it's status and control the volume? I have a Chromecast (one of the first gen ones) so I am interested in having some control of it just would like to know what I can do with it from HS other than TTS.

Comment

Originally posted by mrhappy View Post
      Can I ask what can you actually do with it other than display it's status and control the volume? I have a Chromecast (one of the first gen ones) so I am interested in having some control of it just would like to know what I can do with it from HS other than TTS.
      With version 3.0.0.0 you can only send TTS to it and control the volume, but my plan is to add a "Cast Media" action which will take a video or audio url as parameter and make it play on your chromecast. For example you could use this action to display your security camera feed on your TV.

I will also add another device that tells what app is currently running on the chromecast: youtube, google play music, etc...

Comment

Tried it out.
        It discovered my Chromecast and made 2 devices for it.
        I tried the "test" button you provided on the config page, but I get this in the log.

Sep-20 2:35:11 PM Chromecast INFO (Main Viewer): Hello, this is a test for chromecast plug-in

Sep-20 2:35:11 PM Warning Connection from IP address 192.168.1.9 has been blocked because remote connections is disabled.

Went to the app on my laptop and also started Google Cast on my tablet, but can't find where that setting is.

Thanks,
        Tim
        FB Page - https://www.facebook.com/pages/Capt-Tim/209398425902188

HSTouch Layouts - https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...5902188&type=3

Comment

Originally posted by fungun View Post
          Tried it out.
          It discovered my Chromecast and made 2 devices for it.
          I tried the "test" button you provided on the config page, but I get this in the log.

Sep-20 2:35:11 PM Chromecast INFO (Main Viewer): Hello, this is a test for chromecast plug-in

Sep-20 2:35:11 PM Warning Connection from IP address 192.168.1.9 has been blocked because remote connections is disabled.

Went to the app on my laptop and also started Google Cast on my tablet, but can't find where that setting is.

Thanks,
          Tim
          This is actually a Warning from Homeseer itself, not from the plugin.
          In Homeseer, in Tools > Setup > Network > Web server settings, you have to enable server for remote access.

Here is what happens when you try to send TTS on a chromecast: the plugin write a wave file in your Homeseer directory in html\Wave, then it sends the url of this file to the chromecast. So if the chromecast can't access the Homeseer web server, it won't be able to load the url and play the wave file.

Comment

you have to enable server for remote access
            I have always left this disabled for fear of outside intrusions.
            So how dangerous is enabling it?

Thanks,
            Tim
            FB Page - https://www.facebook.com/pages/Capt-Tim/209398425902188

HSTouch Layouts - https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...5902188&type=3

Comment

Got it working. Two things. Anyway to shorten the delay from when it connects to the Chromecast (you hear the connect tone) and when it speaks? Second, how can I specify which Chromecast to speak to? Awesome work BTW Spud!

Comment

Nice work! I would really love to see a Linux version. Are you planning on supporting Linux as well in the future? Let me know if you need a tester
                stefxx

Comment

Originally posted by fungun View Post
                  I have always left this disabled for fear of outside intrusions.
                  So how dangerous is enabling it?

Thanks,
                  Tim
                  Well, yeah more protection is always better
                  However if you don't open port 80 (or whatever port HS web server is using) on your router, no one will be able to access the HS web server from outside of your local network.
                  This setting only let you access it from any computer connected to your local network.

Comment

Originally posted by Sireone View Post
                    Got it working. Two things. Anyway to shorten the delay from when it connects to the Chromecast (you hear the connect tone) and when it speaks? Second, how can I specify which Chromecast to speak to? Awesome work BTW Spud!
                    1. how much delay do you experience? On my Google Home, it takes 2 or 3 seconds max and I don't think I can shorten it a lot.

2. To specify which chromecast to speak to: enable the advanced options in your Speak action, edit the client speaker lists, the chromecast won't appear in this list, but you can manually add any by entering its name in the text box at the left of the add button.
                    I will write a User Guide soon.

Comment

Originally posted by stefxx View Post
                      Nice work! I would really love to see a Linux version. Are you planning on supporting Linux as well in the future? Let me know if you need a tester
                      yes it's planned, will let you know when it's ready.

Comment

Originally posted by spud View Post
                        1. how much delay do you experience? On my Google Home, it takes 2 or 3 seconds max and I don't think I can shorten it a lot.

2. To specify which chromecast to speak to: enable the advanced options in your Speak action, edit the client speaker lists, the chromecast won't appear in this list, but you can manually add any by entering its name in the text box at the left of the add button.
                        I will write a User Guide soon.
                        I guess the delay is actually the Chromecast audio connecting. It does take about 3 seconds. I kinda wish we can disable the audio tone that Google uses when a device connects the the Chromecast. BTW, the speaker client selection in advance setting works great.

Comment

In version 3.0.0.1, I have added a "Cast Media" action that lets you cast video, music or picture to your chromecast device.

Click image for larger version

Name:	cast_action.png
Views:	2
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	1192390

Note: for casting videos, do not use the HS web server as it doesn't seem to handle them (It works with music and pictures though)

I have also added a Status device, that let you pause/play/stop the media you loaded with the event action.

Click image for larger version

Name:	mediastatusdevice.png
Views:	1
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	1192391

Comment

I guess the delay is actually the Chromecast audio connecting. It does take about 3 seconds. I kinda wish we can disable the audio tone that Google uses when a device connects the the Chromecast. BTW, the speaker client selection in advance setting works great.
                            I actually found were we can disable to connection tone (playback sounds). I'll test it out to see if it speeds things up.

https://support.google.com/chromecas.../6290498?hl=en

Comment

I actually found were we can disable to connection tone (playback sounds). I'll test it out to see if it speeds things up.

https://support.google.com/chromecas.../6290498?hl=en
                              This only seems to work only on Chromecast audio devices. My Google Home still has that connection tone.

Comment

Working...
                              X