Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Possible to discover/add unknown address device?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Possible to discover/add unknown address device?

Searched but could not find answer. Also played with plugin and didn't see a method...

I installed a SwitchLinc, and put the cover on the switch without recording the insteon address. Is it possible the discover this device's address through the network? I tried putting on detailed debug and activated the switch but the log recorded nothing.

Perhaps this is a security attribute, but any ideas are appreciated. No big deal if I have to remove the cover plate!

-BD

Originally posted by BrunDog View Post
    Searched but could not find answer. Also played with plugin and didn't see a method...

I installed a SwitchLinc, and put the cover on the switch without recording the insteon address. Is it possible the discover this device's address through the network? I tried putting on detailed debug and activated the switch but the log recorded nothing.

Perhaps this is a security attribute, but any ideas are appreciated. No big deal if I have to remove the cover plate!

-BD
    you can use the Tap-Add method to register the device. Look on the Manage Devices page
    Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
    Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
    Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
    Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

I thought Tap-Add was not for i2 devices, like this brand new SwitchLinc?

-BD

Comment

Originally posted by BrunDog View Post
        I thought Tap-Add was not for i2 devices, like this brand new SwitchLinc?

-BD
        Give it a try, i think it will work

The question is, is the devicetype of this new switch known to the plugin
        Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
        Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
        Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
        Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

It is a SwitchLinc relay, model 2476S, firmware v5.8 1126.

Well, the tap-add did not work, so I removed the switch plate to view the address and added manually.... and that did not work either!! At least not the first or second time, even after a HW reset in between. The third time it worked, albeit it slowly and with multiple attempts made by the plugin. The plugin reported reliability ~15%.

This switch is the first on this room circuit, and I guess it is a long run back through the circuit box, so even this powerline only model is having trouble getting a signal. I have some dual banders to install on the same circuit, and that should improve reliability. Will try tap-adding one of those for giggles.

As always, thanks for the ultra-fast response, Mark. I am using both this and the Vista plugin with great success so far, and I appreciated your work - worth every penny!

-BD

Comment

My guess is the long run or noise on the line is why the tap-add didn't work. The dual-band devices should help...15% is bad. Try running the new 'comm test' nwo and see what the results look like.

Thanks for your support.
            Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

Yup, noise, or distance or something. Here is the comm test:

Testing communications complete for Up Master Bedroom Closet 1 Light (xx.xx.xx)
              Ping Results: 1 out of 20 attempts = 5%

Summary of ping responses:
              Message Stat Count Percentage
              1 Hop (Excellent) 0 0%
              2 Hops (Good) 1 5%
              3 Hops (Poor) 0 0%
              Failed 19 95%

Will report back when I install the nearby dual banders, which will link to another working circuit on the opposite side of the wall.

-BD

Comment

Working...
              X