Harmony hub extender for zwave

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by integlikewhoa View Post
    This virtual hue hub is a one way connection to get a button on the harmony remote to send an http command out to anything.

If you want to go the other direct and have HS see what state the harmony remote is in, then you need the harmony plugin. This will not help u for that.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

OK, I am not sure I am understanding so let me walk through this and see, because it sounds like the Phillips fake hub will do just what I want to do for a couple of my rooms.

Setup Phillips fake bridge on a Pi or Linux/Windows box
    Setup Hue devices to receive signals from Harmony remotes
    Setup Harmony remotes to control those devices

What I am not clear on is how that gets back to Homeseer. Does the fake bridge update device status directly? Or is it just sending an http command that can update the devices?

Sorry if I am being dense, just want to be clear because if it works like I think it does I am going to be heading down the road with it.

Comment

Originally posted by chewie View Post
      OK, I am not sure I am understanding so let me walk through this and see, because it sounds like the Phillips fake hub will do just what I want to do for a couple of my rooms.

Setup Phillips fake bridge on a Pi or Linux/Windows box
      Setup Hue devices to receive signals from Harmony remotes
      Setup Harmony remotes to control those devices

What I am not clear on is how that gets back to Homeseer. Does the fake bridge update device status directly? Or is it just sending an http command that can update the devices?

Sorry if I am being dense, just want to be clear because if it works like I think it does I am going to be heading down the road with it.
      I don't own any hue devices and If I did a fake hue bridge can probley be replaced with a real hue bridge. (except I could run HS3 scenes or other z-wave devices)

The connection from the hue bridge to homeseer is via a one way http being sent to homeseer from the bridge. The status of the light will not be update on the harmony remote (also I'm assuming your using a better harmony remote then I have) I only have the home remote with no touch screen or any display of if the lights are actually on or not. I have only 4 buttons to short press or long press.

I also don't think the Harmony Hub extender does this either. I know on the VERA forums people were saying that after a few secs the indicator would show off even if the light was still on. I'm not sure if that was a VERA problem or a Harmony problem even tho they said it was the way harmony doesn't poll.

I think if your using a Harmony with an actual hue light and hue bridge this does work. It just doesn't work when your trying to get status from a home automation controller.

1) Setup Phillips fake bridge on a Pi or Linux/Windows box

2) Setup Hue devices to receive signals from Harmony remotes

3) Setup Harmony remotes to control those devices

Step one setup the run command install the java and run it.

When you do step #2 you will login into the web ui via the pi IP and server port number default 8080 unless u change it with the startup command in step one. Click Manually create a device and choose the device name and on and off Http command for each device, scene or what ever your controlling. Save

When you do step three you have your harmony remote search for a hue hub and will find and list all the virtual devices you just made in step two as if they all were hue bulbs (even if none are, like in my case)

Map the buttons on the harmony remote like mine or I guess they will already be listed on the touch screen on a high model. Click on and it will send an http command (you have choosen and tested in a browser) to turn it on. Long press and it sends the off http command to turn the device on.

On my remote I use it only for the local room light, fan, maybe bathroom light if its a bedroom and I don't have a scene right now but an all off scene for sleep might be my last button.

EDIT: forgot to mention that besides the 4 buttons I have the +/- and those will raise and lower the dim of the lights if your controlling a dimming light.

Comment

OK, sorry if this is dense, but I have everything working but button to raise and lower the dimming. Can you give me an example of how you set that up?

Comment

OK, sorry if this is dense, but I have everything working but button to raise and lower the dimming. Can you give me an example of how you set that up?
          Im working the dimming urls out as we speak in this thread. The dimming url for homeseer isn't working as it should for dim% right now.

http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.p...html#msg270620

See my last few post there as i have an issue with % after the auto string.

Comment

Thanks man, I got it all setup with the exception of the dimming. I am now building out my bridge device DB so I can use Alexa and my harmony remotes to control things. This is pretty awesome. It took a bit of time to figure out the syntax of the REST API (Remove the parentheses) but once I got one command working the rest fell into place.

Comment

Thanks man, I got it all setup with the exception of the dimming. I am now building out my bridge device DB so I can use Alexa and my harmony remotes to control things. This is pretty awesome. It took a bit of time to figure out the syntax of the REST API (Remove the parentheses) but once I got one command working the rest fell into place.
              I didn't mention Alexa or the ECHO much in thread as Homeseer supports Alexa directly from what I thought on the latest versions. I just came from VERA and haven't tested the Echo features in Homeseer yet. My first guess was that no one here would that feature of this bridge, but with the VERA it was our only way.

Echo can also control your harmony devices with this bridge. But again I'm thinking most homeseer's would need that if they had the Echo and Harmony setup in HS3.

Sorry for not being more straight forward with the syntax to use in homeseer. Everything can be found here:
              http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=163200

And to make it easy the syntax I'm using for on/off commands (and there is more then one you can choose) of a device is:

http://(HS3 URL)/HomeSeer_REST_API.aspx?function=setdevicebyid&param1=(Device Reference ID)&param2=(Status you want to set)

Url needs the IPort I use Device ID number of the homeseer device and the status I spell out what it says on the device in homeseer. So "On" "Off" would be most common for lights.

Dim Url for homseer works in a browser but not yet in the bridge and is a work in progress. I'll post back when either we find the right way to word the URL or if the Bridge version gets updated to except the one below, but the one below should be close and will work in browser for homeseer is you change out "${intensity.percent}" for the number of dimming % (0-100).

http://IP_Address:PORT/HomeSeer_REST_API.aspx?function=setdevicebyid&param1=352&par am2=Dim+${intensity.percent}%

For some this maybe a replacement for the Harmony extender for other with HS2 or some homeseer that can;t use the Echo this could allow echo to control and homeseer device you map to it. Doesn't have to be a device it can be scenes also. Echo can also create it's own groups on that side also.

Thanks,

And I'll update this (or anyone else feel free when the dimming command is working as it was in vera).

Comment

Yup, I like this because it lets me use Alexa as well as the Harmony remote and keep them synchronized as to how I am using them. As I build out devices in the bridge then they both get updated.

Comment

Yup, I like this because it lets me use Alexa as well as the Harmony remote and keep them synchronized as to how I am using them. As I build out devices in the bridge then they both get updated.
                  Just a question, but why do you not use the built in HS3 Echo stuff? Is it not working well you on a unsupported version of that feature?

I ask because I was planning on setting that up soon.

Comment

One advantage of using this approach is the language you can use with Alexa. Under this method I can say "Alexa turn the family room lights on". With the native homeseer approach I have to say "Alexa, tell Homeseer to turn the Family Room Lights on"

Comment

OK Dimming URL is figured out! So for a dimming light you this as the on URL

http://IPADDRESS:PORT/HomeSeer_REST_API.aspx?function=setdevicebyid&param1=DEVICENUMBER&param2=Dim+${intensity.percent}%25

Change out the IP, Port and DeviceNumber to your own.
                      Off is "off"

Comment

Anyone know if you can use the zigbee radios in the hub extender to add zigbee to homeseer? Seems like it should work if you can pass commands to the extender. I am sure it is more complicated than that and unfortunately I don't have an extender to test with.

Comment

There is no way to do this that I have found. There is a harmony plugin but many of the features are inaccessible because Logitech doesn't provide adequate documentation to the developer.

I ended up buying a used a wink on eBay, set up the zigbee on this and get it to talk to Homeseer through Ifttt. Not ideal but mostly works.

Comment

Hi guys,

I was intending to purchase the harmony extender too after my pronto broke

And my intention like most of you (I think), is to add the extender as z-wave node into my exiting z-wave network in homeseer. That means, homeseer see's it as another node. And then use events (I suppose) to have my harmony remote control my homeseer devices. Is this possible? I have many PLC devices and very few z-wave devices. Mostly sensors are on z-wave.
                            So the idea would be to use the harmony to control my non-zwave devices.

I am familiar with the ha-bridge. I'm using it with echo now.
                            However, I don't have any physical Phillips hue devices.

Comment

OK, I've been doing some extensive reading and especially on this thread and I think I understand:

a) Since my z-wave devices are mostly sensors and most of my devices are
                              PLC, I don't need to purchase the hub extender?

b) I can use my existing echo-bridge on my LAN and let the harmony home hub
                              discover the devices on it and then I can control them on my harmony
                              remote?

Is this correct?

Comment

So far I am able to trigger events in the Harmony hub using the HA-bridge. I use this mostly for Alexa commands - such as "Turn TV On".

However, Homeseer doesn't know about this as I haven't figured out a way to have the HA-bridge send out two commands for one device - such as Execute Harmony event and also send web command to Homeseer.

There is a Logitech plug-in for Homeseer. But it is not able to respond to the HA buttons on the Logitech remote - the ones with the Light bulb and outlet at the bottom. I don't really have a need for Homeseer to turn my TV on and off so I haven't invested in this. If the HA buttons worked I might consider it as this would allow me to control the lights in the room using these buttons. The developer said that the api information provided by Logitech doesn't give him what he needs to do this.

Comment

Working...
                                X