Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HomeSeer Switches Double Tap Triple Tap

Hello,

I have purchased several of the new HomeSeer switches. I am beginning to write my first events in HomeSeer and am confused. I have done searching in the forum, but have yet to find a good how to. I want to configure the double tap and triple tap functions of these switches. Can anyone point me on how to do this?

The first event I want to write is, if I double tap the top paddle it turns on my Hue lights in that room. And if I double tap the bottom paddle it turns off the Hue lights in that room.(My Hue lights are in Lamps and not connected to the circuit that the switch is.)

Any info is appreciated. I feel this may be an issue of me not understanding the difference between Events, Scenes, Counters, and Timers.

This may help clear some of this up. This is about the binary switch, but the dimmer is similar. When it is included there is a root and two nodes. The first node is the "Scene" and the second is the load control, either binary for the switch or multilevel for the dimmer.

The "Scene" child doesn't seem to be a Z-Wave scene, it is more like a MIniMote control. This device changes state depending upon pressing the paddles. The upper paddle creates 5 values and the lower paddle creates another 5.

These "Scenes" can be used as triggers in an event. Each of them is a value on the device's trigger choices.

The same values can also be used as conditions in events.

A single tap of the upper paddle turns the load on and a single tap of the lower paddle turns the load off. Each of these presses will create a value of
    "Key Pressed" - 001 for the upper paddle and 002 for the lower. A short press of either paddle will not generate a "Key Released" value when the key is released.

A long press (about 2 seconds) of either paddle will generate a value of "Key Held Down" - 001 for the upper paddle and 002 for the lower. This long press will also control the load just like a single short press. When the paddle is released after a long press it will generate a "Key Released" value. Note that since a "Key Released" status is generated immediately after releasing a long press, the "Key Held Down" is not generally suitable for use as an Event Condition, unless you are trying to control an event to run only while the key is held.

The remaining 4 values are "Key Pressed Twice" and "Key Pressed 3 Times" for each paddle. These multi tap key combinations do not control the load.

These "Scenes" are to be used as HomeSeer event triggers or conditions, they do not appear to be Z-Wave "Scenes".

There are three settings available on the Z-Wave tab, determining whether the top or bottom paddle turns the load on, whether it is included in the All On or All Off commands and for the binary switch, whether the LED is on with the load on or on with the load off.

As far as utilizing these "Scenes", it is limited only by your imagination. This is a wonderfully flexible and useful product.

I have yet to explore all of the uses, but in our exercise room, the overhead lights are motion controlled. For this light I made a long press of the lower paddle to disable motion control with the light off. A long press of the upper paddle disables motion time out on the lights and turns them on - when we turn them on with a long press, they will stay on regardless of motion. A short press of either will control the load and enable motion control. We will use double and triple tap on other switches for other events. In the hall outside of our bedroom a double tap of the upper paddle will initiate a "House Awake" or "Panic" mode, turning on most of the inside and all of the outside lights. A double tap of the lower paddle will initiate a delayed "House to Sleep" action, turning off all of the interior and exterior lights and setting a sleep mode for lighting, energy and heating. A triple tap does the same without the delay.
    Last edited by randy; September 5, 2016, 09:00 AM.
    HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Sorry to bump an old thread to the top, but I wanted to thank you for posting these instructions. This is insanely useful, as I've have several of the HS-WS100+ switches installed for a year and really didn't know how to do anything advanced with them in HS. I wish HS produced documentation like this, it's kind of sad that we have to rely on thread posts for clear instructions on basic stuff like this. But in any case, thank you.

Mods - it would be really cool if we had a sub-forum that's "getting started for newbies" where threads like this could be copied to. As a newbie, it's really hard for me to swim through all the threads dealing with a complex issue that few people have to find instructional threads like this that apply to everybody.

Comment

This seems like it might be the right place for this question. I have had my system for over a year and have 40 different event but still seem to understand these double triple and hold functions. Sometimes it will recognize a double tap and sometimes it will not. Other times when I am going for the hold function it shows released. Is there any magic to this like you cant double press after a triple press or anything like that?

I also Second the "Getting Started For Newbies" Section.
        Last edited by jeff.texasfleet@yahoo.com; January 14, 2018, 01:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jeff.texasfleet@yahoo.com View Post
          This seems like it might be the right place for this question. I have had my system for over a year and have 40 different event but still seem to understand these double triple and hold functions. Sometimes it will recognize a double tap and sometimes it will not. Other times when I am going for the hold function it shows released. Is there any magic to this like you cant double press after a triple press or anything like that?

I also Second the "Getting Started For Newbies" Section.
          If you look at post #2 above I wrote: “A long press (about 2 seconds) of either paddle will generate a value of "Key Held Down" - 001 for the upper paddle and 002 for the lower. This long press will also control the load just like a single short press. When the paddle is released after a long press it will generate a "Key Released" value. Note that since a "Key Released" status is generated immediately after releasing a long press, the "Key Held Down" is not generally suitable for use as an Event Condition, unless you are trying to control an event to run only while the key is held”. The Key Released will be generated only afte a Key Held.

Also be sure you are using the trigger “This device had its value set to...” instead of “This device changes and becomes...”. Otherwise it will not trigger on the same “Scene” pressed a second time, it will only trigger when the next “Scene” is a different one.
          HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Working...
          X